Applying for residence visa with work permit in Taiwan after entering on visa exempt.

Hello guys,
I have called MOFA and was told I can enter Taiwan on visa exempt and apply for residence visa in Taiwan as long as I provide white collar work permit along with other application documents.
The work permit comes from my own company and the accountant who is helping us to register the company is warning us that applying in Taiwan is troublesome and they might reject my application without giving any reason (he says he had two clients with problems 3years ago) and he recommends that I still go to HK to apply.

Anyone here has experience of applying like this and could comment on the possible troubles? Thanks.

When I mention that I will ride my scooter from Taoyuan to Danshui, an hour away, many locals canā€™t believe it and say itā€™s ā€œso far!ā€, so take the ā€˜too troublesomeā€™ with a grain of salt.

Yes, you can convert from visa-exempt to a residence visa, then get your ARC. During the process you must obtain a visitor visa firstā€“this extra step takes a few days and more money. The process is detailed in this thread: Converting from 30 Day Visa-Exempt Entry to Resident Visa

Ah, thanks! Makes me feel a bit safer.

One more question. I am going to apply for the visitor visa next week and then for the ARC the week after, but I have to leave Taiwan on January 22nd. I heard if my ARC wonā€™t be ready before that, I can get some document that allows me to leave and come back while my ARC is being processed. Is anyone able to confirm that?
Thanks!

You can also take a look at this thread. It covers some info with regards to a Work Visa/ARC

In response to your question, @Steve4nLanguage thread link has the right process, surprisingly it hasnā€™t changed too much. However, make sure you are applying for a landing visa! Just a mix up of terms, not a different visa.

Once you have arrived in Taiwan and through immigration with a landing visa, you shouldnā€™t need to leave Taiwan since the process of landing in Taiwan with theā€¦landing visa, is a process necessary to move forward. I think thereā€™s a window in which the landing visa stays valid to apply for an ARC so make sure you donā€™t wait!

I have noticed there is a lot of confusion going on between landing visa and visa exempt. But in my case I am talking about visa exempt, not landing visa.

Anyway, I know I can apply without leaving Taiwan, my worry was whether they might ask me some weird questions and reject the visa application without giving any reason (since that is what my accountant has warned me about). However, so far I have not found anyone talking about this kind of problem on the forum.

Ok! Good to hear that you know what you need. Sometimes we get confused and people get confused and at the end of the day, the question doesnā€™t get answered.

I canā€™t really imagine them denying your application unless you have a criminal record or you do not meet the requirements.

I want to clarify: Visa Exempt (aka NO visa) entries can be converted to residence status (ARC) for white collar workers. This process involves a seemingly unnecessary and expensive step of getting a Visitors Visa first, but you donā€™t need to leave Taiwan.

Landing Visa (aka Visa On Arrival) is a 30-day visa that cannot be extended nor converted to another type of visa. Nationals from Turkey, Macedonia, and people with temporary/emergency passports use this type of visa. If that doesnā€™t apply to you, then you donā€™t use a ā€œLanding Visa.ā€

VISA-EXEMPT info: 外äŗ¤éƒØ領äŗ‹äŗ‹å‹™å±€å…Øēƒč³‡č؊ē¶²

LANDING VISA info: 外äŗ¤éƒØ領äŗ‹äŗ‹å‹™å±€å…Øēƒč³‡č؊ē¶²

2 Likes

Steve, Iā€™m sorry to bother you. I thought you could go visa extension exempt to work visa without a visitor Visa?

OK, I can see some confusion about the above. What I meant is, if you entered Taiwan Visa-Exempt, then you get your work permit, you can go get your ARC without leaving the country (an option that wasnā€™t available a few years ago when I arrived).

If you arrived Visa-Exempt, then when you go to get your ARC part of the process they will do is issue a Visitors Visa (which you must pay for), then turn right around and issue the Residence Visa/ARC. Itā€™s a seemingly unnecessary step, and more expense for the applicant, but itā€™s part of their process. The main point was that it wouldnā€™t be necessary to leave Taiwan to complete this process.

Oh, okay. I think I understand now. So, firstly, when I arrive visa exempt, I go to BOCA and apply for a visitor Visa once my work permit processes? And, next, working Visa, then ARC?

Just say you want to get an ARC, then follow what they say.

That makes sense Steve. Iā€™ll just ask them about the ARC process. Unrelated
to anything, here is an email they sent me.

"In reply to your email of June 28, 2017, we would like to inform you that
if you intend to work in Taiwan, your employer needs to apply for a work
permit for you from the related government agency of the R.O.C. You then
may apply for an employment visa at any of our overseas mission. However,
as an U.S. passport holder, you may enter Taiwan visa free and apply for a
work visa in Taiwan. Please refer to our website at http://
www.boca.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=6134&ctNode=778&mp=2 (resident visas for white
collar workers) for required documents and procedures. Should you have any
further questions, you are suggested to contact our visa hotline at
02-23432885 ( Monday to Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm ) for direct consultation.

With kind regards,

Bureau of Consular Affairs
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Republic of China"

May I please ask you one last question. Do you know if it is possible to
avoid going to Taipei to BOCA and to complete all of the steps to process
my ARC by mail?