APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)


#981

Clarification please.

Are you Chinese or are you American and what do you think it has to do with applying for an APRC?

You say you worked some years in Taiwan. How many years? You still have an ARC? What’s it based on marriage or employment? If employment, then I assume that you are still in Taiwan and still working as that’s the only way it would still be valid at this time. If you are still here, how long have you continuously resided in Taiwan on a valid ARC?

Who told you that you’re not qualified and why aren’t you qualified? Do you believe that the Taiwanese government will deny you an APRC because you are Chinese?

No. Buying a house has little to do with applying for an APRC.

No flexibility. The rules are very straight forward. Where did you hear of some flexibility?

Apparently, you do not understand what an APRC is. It is permanent residency. Like a green card in the U.S. It has nothing to do with citizenship.

Read this entire thread beginning from page 1.


#982

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]
Read this entire thread beginning from page 1.[/quote]

:astonished: Now that’s a tall order.


#983

Wow, that is a huge help. I will be paying next month then. Thanx a heap, Northcoast Surfer.


#984

My question is based on the following: (I meet all APRC requirements but I’m stuck here)

+++++++++++++++++++
MORE DETAILED INFORMATION
Beginning January 1, 2013 APRC applicants will be required to earn, report and pay taxes on a minimum $450,480 NTD gross consolidated income in order to qualify to apply for the APRC. This increase is due to the increase in Taiwan’s Basic Wage. Based on this new report, the Basic Wage of Taiwan is set to increase to $18,770/month beginning January 1, 2013. Foreigners are required to make at least 2x The Basic Wage in order to apply for the APRC. Basic Wage of $18,770 X 2 = $37,540/mo and $37,540 X 12 months - $450,480 minimum consolidated gross income. One key thing to note, however, is that although Taiwan’s Basic Wage increase will begin January 1, 2013, anyone who applies for the APRC in 2013 will be using their income for the tax year 2012. So, you will need to make the minimum of $450,480 for the 2012 tax year in order to apply for the APRC in 2013.
+++++++++++++++++++

[b]I started working in March 2012 and up till now (May 2013), I make about $55,000 a month. I can prove this easily with company salary details, bank accounts etc.

However, my tax statement from 2012 (Jan-Dec 2012) does not exceed the $450480. The tax office cannot give me a tax statement for Jan 2013 to April 2013 - I’ve asked my company, tax office etc. My company called Immigration who said it’s too bad and I can only apply in 2014 when I have a full year tax statement. This sounds fishy to me.

So I can only prove with company documentation, bank accounts etc. that for the last 12 months (March 2012 -April 2013) that I meet the requirements.

Am I still eligible to apply or does immigration believe that the “most recent year” refers to Jan to Dec only? Anyone with similar experience, kindly advise:[/b]


#985

You company Statement of Income should be sufficient. That’s what I used. You produce the statement for the most recent year (ie., 2012). You don’t need to use tax records. However, AFAIK you can’t use partial years - and if Immigration said so, then it’s so. You can always call Bonnie Chung yourself to check :slight_smile:


#986

Thanks! My concern is Bonny Chung and co on the hotline don’t seem to be sure about the facts either and the law seems to be a shade of gray with no specifics here.

I’ll go ahead and arrange the interview and see what comes of it. Waiting it out another 8 months at my current gig might be tantric especially when I thought freedom was just an application away.

Any other previous experiences welcome.


#987

When I feared that my reported 2012 earnings would be slightly short of the minimum, I asked NIA about using an alternate time period (March 2012~Feb. 2013) and a statement from my work. I was told what the OP wrote, that the “most recent year” refers to Jan to Dec only. Fortunately for me, my 2012 reported income did end up meeting the minimum.

For the OP’s situation, I know that sucks. It seems that trying to find a workaround solution over the phone with a foreigner is often too ma fan. When the NIA worker sees your paperwork in person, and you (humbly) plead your case face-to-face, perhaps they’ll be willing to work with you. In all sincerity, I’m hoping the best for you.


#988

[quote=“cyberguppy”]My question is based on the following: (I meet all APRC requirements but I’m stuck here)

[b]I started working in March 2012 and up till now (May 2013), I make about $55,000 a month. I can prove this easily with company salary details, bank accounts etc.

However, my tax statement from 2012 (Jan-Dec 2012) does not exceed the $450480. The tax office cannot give me a tax statement for Jan 2013 to April 2013 - I’ve asked my company, tax office etc. My company called Immigration who said it’s too bad and I can only apply in 2014 when I have a full year tax statement. This sounds fishy to me.

So I can only prove with company documentation, bank accounts etc. that for the last 12 months (March 2012 -April 2013) that I meet the requirements.

Am I still eligible to apply or does immigration believe that the “most recent year” refers to Jan to Dec only? Anyone with similar experience, kindly advise:[/b][/quote]

There are more ways to skin a cat and all may not be lost. However, I need some clarification before I can give you any proper advice.

According to your statement above, you only started working in March 2012 until present.

  1. What have you been doing for the past 5 years of residency?

  2. Are you certain that have met the required 5 years of residency on either an employment based ARC or a JFRV ARC?

  3. Have you already been to the NIA to run your residency record to ensure that you are in fact qualified to apply for the APRC at this time?

  4. What is the exact date that you cross the 5 years residency requirement and are eligible to apply for the APRC?

  5. Are you married to a Taiwanese citizen and on a JFRV ARC?


#989

[/quote]

There are more ways to skin a cat and all may not be lost. However, I need some clarification before I can give you any proper advice.

According to your statement above, you only started working in March 2012 until present.

  1. What have you been doing for the past 5 years of residency?

  2. Are you certain that have met the required 5 years of residency on either an employment based ARC or a JFRV ARC?

  3. Have you already been to the NIA to run your residency record to ensure that you are in fact qualified to apply for the APRC at this time?

  4. What is the exact date that you cross the 5 years residency requirement and are eligible to apply for the APRC?

  5. Are you married to a Taiwanese citizen and on a JFRV ARC?[/quote]

To sum up here, I’m legit and have been here 5 years etc etc. Early 2012, I was doing some job hunting and not really working - I asked my boss for time off… so my 2012 Jan - Dec tax slip says $395k. It doesn’t qualify. From Mar 2012- April 2013 I realized my salary averaged 70k per month.

I asked the NIA if I was legit last time I applied for my ARC and I got a positive yes but they didn’t ask for tax, salary etc.

My opinion on all of this is:

  1. Tax records are there to prove you have paid taxes according to the law.
  2. Salary records prove that your salary is high enough and > the minimums.

Why they’d only accept a tax year (Jan-Dec) seems to point to laziness rather than wanting to add up numbers.

In my case, my high paying salary job started at a time other than the first of January. I don’t see why I should be disadvantaged and have to work 1.8 years instead of 1 year to get this APRC. The law is really unclear here and I can’t seem to see where it states the the “last year” must refer to a Jan- Dec period.

Surely I can’t be the only person who has come across this issue?


#990

You didn’t indicate your visa status during this time. This sum up is lacking in details and specifics.

If you were on an employment based ARC during this time, but not working, that would not be legit.

That’s correct. It doesn’t qualify.

Irrelevant for applying for the APRC in 2013 as you can’t use the January through April 2013 income.

This makes no sense.

[quote=“cyberguppy”]My opinion on all of this is:

  1. Tax records are there to prove you have paid taxes according to the law.
  2. Salary records prove that your salary is high enough and > the minimums.[/quote]
    Your opinion and the relevant laws and policies are the same. Correct.

It’s just the rules. Nothing personal.

It’s always been this way since the APRC first came into being in 2000.

Of course not, so they just apply for the APRC in the following year.

In conclusion, all still may not be lost, but your brief sum up still doesn’t give enough clear details in order to help you. Sorry. :bow:


#991

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“cyberguppy”]My question is based on the following: (I meet all APRC requirements but I’m stuck here)

[b]I started working in March 2012 and up till now (May 2013), I make about $55,000 a month. I can prove this easily with company salary details, bank accounts etc.

However, my tax statement from 2012 (Jan-Dec 2012) does not exceed the $450480. The tax office cannot give me a tax statement for Jan 2013 to April 2013 - I’ve asked my company, tax office etc. My company called Immigration who said it’s too bad and I can only apply in 2014 when I have a full year tax statement. This sounds fishy to me.

So I can only prove with company documentation, bank accounts etc. that for the last 12 months (March 2012 -April 2013) that I meet the requirements.

Am I still eligible to apply or does immigration believe that the “most recent year” refers to Jan to Dec only? Anyone with similar experience, kindly advise:[/b][/quote]

There are more ways to skin a cat and all may not be lost. However, I need some clarification before I can give you any proper advice.

According to your statement above, you only started working in March 2012 until present.

  1. What have you been doing for the past 5 years of residency?

  2. Are you certain that have met the required 5 years of residency on either an employment based ARC or a JFRV ARC?

  3. Have you already been to the NIA to run your residency record to ensure that you are in fact qualified to apply for the APRC at this time?

  4. What is the exact date that you cross the 5 years residency requirement and are eligible to apply for the APRC?

  5. Are you married to a Taiwanese citizen and on a JFRV ARC?[/quote]

OK. Specifics:

1. Flawless 5 years + 7 months in a row in Taiwan on ARC, no breaks, no problems, not our country for more than 3 months, - English teacher 4.5 years, most recent year from March 2012, white collar corporate job- Sales manager for Engineering firm.

cyberguppy wrote:Early 2012, I was doing some job hunting and not really working

If you were on an employment based ARC during this time, but not working, that would not be legit.

2. There was some work involved. Salary in each month but about $10k per month for Jan-March 2012.

cyberguppy wrote:I asked the NIA if I was legit last time I applied for my ARC and I got a positive yes but they didn't ask for tax, salary etc.

This makes no sense.

[b]The NIA gave me sheet of paper with the requirements and told me to go check - their sheet says salary certificate OR tax statement (possibly outdated info)

  1. Last year September I crossed the 5 year mark.

  2. Single, just on an ARC.[/b]

Other notes

cyberguppy wrote:From Mar 2012- April 2013 I realized my salary averaged 70k per month.

Irrelevant for applying for the APRC in 2013 as you can’t use the January through April 2013 income.

How so? The law doesn’t specify dates as far as I can see. It states the “most recent year” - does not state tax year. My company can’t seem to provide a tax statement from Jan - April 2013, only for all of last year

cyberguppy wrote:Why they'd only accept a tax year (Jan-Dec) seems to point to laziness rather than wanting to add up numbers.

It’s just the rules. Nothing personal.

I will accept it if I can find it written in the rules. So far, it seems like a grey area.

cyberguppy wrote:In my case, my high paying salary job started at a time other than the first of January. I don't see why I should be disadvantaged and have to work 1.8 years instead of 1 year to get this APRC. The law is really unclear here and I can't seem to see where it states the the "last year" must refer to a Jan- Dec period.

It’s always been this way since the APRC first came into being in 2000.
[b]
Perhaps that is so but it’s not stated.

Thanks for the advice and comments thus far.
The law’s rationale seems to be that if you’ve earned your due in terms of meeting salary requirements + other criteria, you should be fine. IMHO it should take into account partial years too since it hasn’t specified a Jan - Dec period as far as I can see.

I’d be curious if someone else has managed to succeed. Any advice on how to approach the NIA with this case would be most welcome too.
[/b]


#992

Picked up the APRC card today. Little shocked, I got here little under 6 years ago and now I am a permanent resident of Taiwan…strange.

I never had an interview. Paid the 10,000 NT, picked up the card two weeks later:that’s today. Less than an hour later I picked up my Open Work Permit, and talked to the famous Mr. Lu.

I wanted to get some use of my APRC card right away, so I went to the DMV at Banqiao and got a new license that doesn’t expire for five more years!

Really want to thank Northcoast Surfer (lost your Line contact, would send you a Line “thank you” if I could!.) He has done a great job informing the board. I also want to thank everyone else who has shared their experience.


#993

congrats claphands. Welcome to the rapidly-growing club. And yeah - Northcoast Surfer has done a sterling job. The stuff he posted on here made my own application a lot smoother than it might otherwise have been.


#994

Don’t see this question addressed: my household registration is in Taoyuan but the address on my ARC is Xindian (as that is where I live). So do I apply in New Taipei or Taoyuan?


#995

Would like to thank everyone for this forum, learned a lot while preparing my documents.

already finished my document check last Apr. 18 , here in Xinzhu and now just waiting .

have a nice day everyone!!!


#996

Hi guys,

Pls can someone give me the nr and more importantly name of someone i can call at the taipei NI office?
I live in Beidou (Changhua county) and at my closest office (Yuanlin) no-one speaks a lick of English.
I want to find out if I, a dependant of an APRC holder also qualify.

I’m not employed
I’ve been in Taiwan for almost 8 years on dependent ARC (never gone for more than 3 months)

Thx!


#997

Mucha man,

You should be able to apply at the New Taipei NIA. Why? Because that’s what I was able to do so many moons ago. Before my wife and I bought our home up on the north coast, we were on my wife’s mother’s household registration in Chung-Li. However, we were living in Tanshui. So, when I first went in to apply for the APRC, they saw that my household registration was from Chung-Li and asked me why I was applying in Taipei County. I told them that I actually lived in Tanshui and that we didn’t own the condo we were living in and as renters we couldn’t use it for our own household registration. Also, the address on my JFRV ARC showed my Tanshui rental address for the previous six years. All I had to do was provide a copy of my current rental agreement and everything was good to go and I successfully applied for my APRC at the Taipei County Foreign Affairs Police Bureau.

Gitter done! :bow:


#998

My situation is similar. A few months ago I applied in Xinbei, the place of my actual residence, without trouble. You might take a phone bill or something like that to help establish that Xinbei is your real residence, not Taoyuan.


#999

Thanks guys.


#1000

Just finished my APRC application + interview at the New Taipei NIA.

Partial years proof of salary is acceptable (not preferred) if you’ve got decent evidence - salary certificates, bank accounts, pay slips and the like.

Let’s hold thumbs and await the call of Bonny Chung.

Thanks for the assistance and insight!