Are there unemployment benefits in taiwan?

Let’s say you lose your job, are there unemployment benefits for ROC citizens and residents? I’ve never heard of it in taiwan.

Yes there are if you haVe paid 勞保

Is that something that is taken out of your paycheck? or something people pay separately? And is it only for ROC citizens or do residents also get qualify?

As someone that has just gone through the process and collected the first payment of 60% of my former monthly salary (can be higher depending on your personal circumstances) I can say nationality is not an issue, it all depends on if your company paid your laobao. You company (last day) needs to issue you with a document staying you were laid off you then you go to the local government office.

The Laobao (insurance) will pay for up to 6 months of unemployment benefit. I was fairly lucky with my old company, they gave me the required 30 days notice, 2 days off a week to look for a job and let me use my full years holiday (14 days). Also paid me the correct redundancy payment which covered the old and new system redundancy government policy as per my years of service as soon as I left. Found another job fairly quickly so all in all wasn’t too bad.

2 Likes

Are we not actually talking about jiubao 就保?

勞保 = labor insurance (for basically everyone)
就保 = employment insurance (for Taiwanese and married foreigners, and maybe soon for PR’s)

Some of the official translations get it wrong.

I know several Taiwanese who have gotten that, even an extension if they prove that they have been going to interviews and such.

Yes quite right, the company must be paying for your 就保 in order for you to make a claim (That’s from my understanding).

The amount you can claim is 60% for up to 6 payments. Can get plus 10% if your wife isn’t working and another 10% for each child. I have a Taiwanese friend who got 90% and know others who got 60% for the full 6 months. You need to follow a certain procedure to start this process at the local government office and need to attend interviews each month in order to qualify. I’ll write in more detail if anyone is interested.

You company will likely try to think up some colourful reason to get rid of you without having to lay you off, and hence not pay your redundancy. Remember you have rights, dont sign anything until you have sought advice. The company must follow strict procedures in order to legally lay you off.

My reason for being laid off verbally through my supervisor not my manager was totally unacceptable and pure discrimination. As such they had to find another reason.

It seems the “redundancy” we’re talking about here is severance pay, which if you’re subject to jiubao is not the Labor Standards Act version but the Labor Pension Act version (basically 50% as much, i.e. half a month’s salary per year of seniority at the company). The notice period and 2 paid days off per week (job seeking leave) are set by the LSA.

If you’re subject to jiubao, but the company hasn’t been paying or has been underreporting (or overreporting) your salary, of course they can get in trouble for that.

One interesting thing about the unemployment benefit:
If you find a job during the period in which you are receiving this benefit, your still get half of the remaining payments (as long as your work for at least 3 months in the new job)!
Say that you have the right to receive 6 months of unemployed benefit. Then, during the third month you find a new job. After working for three months there, your can request and obtain 1.5 months of the benefit!
I find it a very good way to incentive people to look for job as soon as they can :happyrunningaround:

1 Like

The gov’t requires that the person receiving unemployment benefits call the company to confirm whether or not the person was hired. Is it really that strict or can you also use email?

Do they request you to call the previous company in addition to a resignation certificate document from them?

I did have to provide a copy of the certificate of separation from the company that laid me off. I already got the first payment from the gov’t.

The employment office wants me to call the companies to confirm whether or not I was hired. The thing is that many companies will just send a message via 104, 1111 indicating that we will not consider your application.

i misread your post. you posted about the record of your job search. it is just twice a month, why not just call. or should you call all the companies you applied?

I called and they just said they didn’t move forward with the application, but never provide the reason lol.

They just confirm that they cannot hire me.