Arriving to Taiwan with resident visa

Hi! I’m attiving to Taiwan soon. I have a resident visa and am going there to study at the University. I do n’t have a return ticket because I don’t even know when I’m going to return to my country. Do I need to have a return ticket considering the circumstances?

If you have had the proper visa already, the immigration officer won’t care much about your return flight ticket.
If the immigration officers ask you more details of your purpose and your stay, just answer him/her honestly.
Like you said, you’re not sure when to go back, so you haven’t bought a return ticket yet. Sounds reasonable.

Really depends on the airline. Malaysia Airlines, no return ticket? No boarding. Visa, or not. So I was told once coming in. ARC was useless with them. In that instance I needed an inward ticket to my country of citizenship. That said, flew from Shanghai on China Eastern no problem.

To be safe, contact whatever airline you are flying.

Thanks!

Does it happen when you fly from Malaysia to Taiwan? In a Malaysian airport?
Why would the airline staff members care if you have a return ticket? It’s the job of the immigration officers in the destination airport. (When you are about to enter a foreign country. The officers have the right to ask you to present anything that proves that you will not over-stay in their country.)

I thought it was to do with the airline being obliged to fly you back out if you’re denied entry, then chase you for the costs of doing so. Happy to be corrected though.

I’ve flown in with no return ticket with air China, China eastern, vietjet and transasia (yeah, I break the bank on flights), and someone else I forget, since getting my marriage based ARC. Never been a problem.

Yes, the airline is worried that they have to fly you back if you’re denied entry by the officer, so hence the beforehand check.
So, the real question is, why would you be denied entry by the officer in the destination?
If you have a proper visa, enough evidence to show the officer that you’re here to do what the visa is allowed, the officer won’t deny your entry.
A student holding a student visa (and probably the document of the school) saying he/she hasn’t bought a return ticket because he/she isn’t sure the exact date to fly back sounds reasonable.

If the airline makes a fuss, tell them you’re willing to sign a waiver: if you’re refused entry, you promise to pay for the ticket. They should have a form behind the counter or in the back office.

Kind of. It started in S’pore with a stop in KL. It happened to a buddy of mine, as well. He was flying from the US, one-way.

The reasoning has been offered by others. But, I think it is deeper than that.

Remember, TW’s international presence and status is rather peculiar and contradictory. It exists, but it doesn’t. Not everyone will recognize their visas and residence cards.

Airlines do have responsibilities and requirements that they must follow if they want to carry people into Taiwan. One of those is to ensure you have on onward ticket before they issue a boarding pass if you don’t have any documents that negate the requirement. So it’s not the immigration in Taiwan that you have to worry about, it’s just getting on the plane at your departure location.

If they won’t issue a boarding pass, you could quickly buy a cheap throw away ticket to Philippines for about 50 US dollars.

Hi, so I was able to get to Taiwan safely, but I have one question- where to apply for ARC? Is it possible to do so only at Immigration Agency?

You’re enrolled in a University? They should be handling that for you.

How does your latest post not coincide with your OP?

If you have a resident visa, doesn’t that mean you can stay here for as long as you want and do what you want?

OP entered with a resident visa, so should apply for an ARC within 15days.

@Sairiki
Yes, you apply for the ARC at NIA.

NIA’s Service Centers
http://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1092844&ctNode=32289&mp=2

In case of Taipei, it’s address is
No.15, Guangjhou St., Jhongjheng Dist., Taipei City 100, Taiwan (R.O.C.)

1 Like