Black Licorice

I tread the middle way on licorice and like black, slightly sweet stuff. British health- and wholefood shops sell a brand called Panda - that’s pretty good although a bit too soft for my liking. My mum sent me a new kind of Panda with kind of mint fondant in the middle - sounds sickly but was actually very nice.

One of my favourite kinds is also sold in these shops but is hard and has a very high licorice juice content. It is not salted but has a strong and almost bitter flavour. It is sold in cylinders about 10cm long and 1.5cm wide.

No Bri, just remembered the allsorts sold in any convenience store in South Africa.

I do miss those.

In fact the Tienmu grocery has 6 or 7 kinds of Dutch hard licorice, brand was “Vobal” or something like that.

There’s a type of “licorice pastille” sold at Watsons. But, although it’s got licorice, there are also some other ingredients in it that make it horrible.

It looks like the only place in Taiwan to get it is the Tien Mu grocery store. So I’m going to have to go there one of these weekends. I don’t want to eat it every day, but sometimes I just have the craving for it.

And if I feel the craving for the other ones, I go here.

[quote=“tigerman”]black licorice is like the Grateful Dead… not many people like it… but the people who do like it, really really like it :laughing:

Isn’t there a candy store over at the underground MRT station at the TPE Main Station… under the Hilton or somewhere? They might have some???[/quote]

Though they have no licorice, that candy store under TPE Main Station has a lot of candy. They even have Sour Strips. Yum, they are sour.

And if I wanna hear the other thing u mentioned, like I said, I steal over to this.

couldn’t stop thinking about alleycat’s picture, so i took a closer look, and diet be damned they had a bag just like it! it rocked too. gotta hand it to you Europeans. brand was venco by the way.

Where did you get a bag of allsorts? The Tianmu grocery, or the train station place?

Brian

Tienmu grocery! $109 for a smallish bag but what the hell.

Did anyone find the red licorice? Tienmu grocery has only got red vines red licorice not red twizzlers brand (is that a specific canadian brand?) Has anyone seen this in Taipei? Red vines just aren’t the same.

we got twizzlers in the states. did you check some of the other shops in tienmu? wellman’s market down chungshan past the american school near the subway sandwich store, g&g’s in the alley off chungshan across from tienmu grocery (leading away from bank of taiwan) would be your best bets.

Where is Tienmu grocery? Can you give me the address, please?

For those that are interested i have 2 big packs of Nibs (full length) that i have imported from canada. They are still really fresh and soft. I will start the bidding at 500NT a Bag. Send me an email to bid.

EH

[quote=“EH”]For those that are interested I have 2 big packs of Nibs (full length) that I have imported from Canada. They are still really fresh and soft. I will start the bidding at 500NT a Bag. Send me an email to bid.

EH[/quote]

I am interested in getting some Nibs. But 500 NT… Isn’t it considered price gouging?

US$15. How big are the bags? You get 5 pounds for US$25 at this site. Maybe not gouging after all.

tienmu grocery is on chungshan north rd sec 7 No 39, a bit north of tienmu west rd. its across from the hollywood gym. it looks like one of those old-style taiwanese groceries, but with some fresh veggies and cases of soda out front.

Price gouging??? What about import taxes?? Shipping & Handling??? No seriously…500 a bag.

EH

[quote=“EH”]Price gouging??? What about import taxes?? Shipping & Handling??? No seriously…500 a bag.

EH[/quote]
Seriously, I’d like some lickrish. How much do the bags weigh?

How about black licorice icecream? God I used to love that when I was a kid. Never seen it in Taiwan though. Alas.

Ihhh, what is that!? :shock:

It’s a dutch rabbit grey colored icecream that tastes like licorice. Not as sweet as the candy and of course not chewey. It’s me favorite and I make no apologies for it.