Bondo Substitute

This isn’t fully evaluated, since I don’t generally do cosmetic repairs. I feel that holes are natures way of improving ventilation and drainage, but I had some aluminium foil and sunflower oil left over so I crumpled it into a hole in my sill and burnished it down by rubbing with the rounded end of my T-bar. Took about 3 minutes.

Been in situ for maybe 3 years now.

PRO’s : No shelf life, won’t attract moisture or promote corrosion (at least not as much as polyester filler AKA “Bondo” in the US, IIRC), can be obtained in Taiwan (unlike Bondo) , could probably be sanded (untested)

CONS : Won’t do shallow scratches (at least unmodified), fairly pointless (like polyester filler).

1 Like

Yep, Bondo. There’s a word I haven’t heard for a while. “bondomobile” is one variation

I’d guess it is/was a US brand name. Closest British equivalent might be Isopon but don’t think that brand quite achieved generic term status.

Usage of this stuff has probably declined a lot since the rust-bucket days of the '70’s, though there’ll still be a bit of accident damage repair use.

Instaed of rust, cars have broken electronic gadgetry to kill them these days.