Born in Taiwan living in US. Want to get Taiwan Passport.

Hi,
I came to America when I was 6 months old and have lived there for close to 50 years. Can I apply for dual citizenship now? What do I need to prove that I was born in Taiwan?

You are already a ROC citizen if you were born here. What you’re talking about is getting a passport issued by the ROC not citizenship.

I think others can chime in more on how.

I might be wrong, but I don’t think the OP forfeited his citizenship if he left and didn’t fulfill conscription past the age of 36. So that shouldn’t be an issue.

Some questions.

Are both of your parents taiwanese?

If so, you must have had an ROC passport to exit taiwan and enter in US, unless at least one of them alias dual citizenship. If you still keep the passport, I think it can be a proof of your citizenship or at least nationality.

Were you registered in their household registration when you were born?
Do they (and you, if you were registered) still have the household registration?

If you were not resistered in your parents household registration, I think where you were born does not have much meanings. What you need is a proof of your parents’ citizenship.

Unless his dad is not Taiwanese. Since he was born before 1980, the Chinese government will only recognize his father’s nationality in regards to his Taiwanese citizenship. I was born in Taiwan, but am not a ROC citizen.

John5652

Visit the web http://www.roc-taiwan.org/us_en/index.html

The easy way call toll free number.

My dad was born China and immigrated to Taiwan. He is a retired naval officer. Both my dad are citizens but I don’t know about the difference between that and ROC citizen.

You need your parents’ household registration details. All chinese (PRC or ROC) belong to a household register (hukou). So if your father was registered on the taiwanese hukou, you are most likely registered as well. If you don’t know, you need to get your hands on your father’s hukou details (you can do this if you have his national ID card, name or other details).

If your father was a foreigner and your mother was a citizen, you would not have been allowed to be on the household register (this has not changed). All you would be entitled to is a Taiwanese passport without the national ID number - you would then likely need to fulfil the residency requirements (1yr) in order to be registered.

My mom was born in Taiwan then immigrated to the US as a minor. However, if you’re Taiwanese at birth, you never really lose your nationality (unless you go out of your way to deliberately do so). Even though she had not lived in Taiwan since she was a kid, was able to get updated versions of all her documents (passport, ID and hukou) in her 60s. (She did this so I could apply for an ID for myself.) This was pretty straightforward, though she had to provide a new address at which to register herself (she used a Taipei friend’s address).

Just call your local TECO and ask what the procedure will be. You should already be in the system with an ID number.

Good luck!