Bread that is not sweet

Japanese flour. They also brought Belgian organic flour to the organic stores. Like silk.

2 Likes

I noticed too the ciabatta’s missing last year or so. Those were very good.

deleted by author see other post

@Brianjones Good point, but, gotta go with whatya can get. If I could find Dutch or French flour here, I would use it.

As a rule, if it has Chinese writing on it anywhere other than the nutrition sticker, do not use it for serious baking. Something is added to the flour to make it “conform” to TW’ese tastes, which is great if you like that kind of bread.

BRM, and a few other brands from the US that are available at Jason’s and City Super, makes a decent, tasty loaf with good crumb.

We have a half decent bakery here called RT (not related, AFAIK, to the “mart”) they have doable pretzels (hey, if you’re starving…) and a somewhat OK baguette.

i dont mind carrefour. the sliced pan doesnt have the overly sweet thing. i think that might be what the op is looking for

1 Like

It could be location specific with Carrefour. I challenge anyone to happily consume a baguette from their Taoyuan branches. I think they make them with plaster of paris.

Your best best is to go to Costco. They’ve got wheat, white, hamburger buns and even English muffins. None of which are sweet.

1 Like

Go to a Carrefour. If you want french loafs or something for something else than sandwiches, go to a bigger Carrefour. At least prices are not as crazy as the pretentious smaller “bakeries” where you can find “bread”.

3 Likes

My favorite baguette is from Johan in Shin Kong Mitsukoshi stores.

1 Like

Maybe track these guys down.

Hogan (哈肯舖) has some nice toast, brown bread, and french (stick) bread. I especially like the round/square-ish ones with (green) pumpkin seeds on them to eat sliced, with cheese.

Oma Ursel has some real bread, also extra dark breads.

Yamazaki is ok but they don’t have the darker whole wheat breads. But, their white toast (several different kinds) are excellent. Another one that I’ve bought over the years to eat by itself is the walnut bread pictured here close-up

7-11’s white toast (the square kind) is actually a nice toast only slightly sweetened.

Find stores with ‘(name here) bakery taipei’ on google maps…

1 Like

Really? so many stores sell toasts?

…toast is what you get after you pop a slice of bread into a toaster and toast it.

Please stop calling bread toast. It’s like nails on a chalkboard.

5 Likes

Possibly. The Tianmu store had the best selection. I liked the olive Ciabatta. Think it should be passable for any European

Gone local! I remember explaining them ‘it ain’t toast unless it’s toasted in a toaster’ and now look what I’m doing…

2 Likes

i’d guess these days, it’s really not that hard to find a decent bread here in taiwan for westerners. carrefour bread is the most common in taiwan which i find quite acceptable, their french white bread is really good for making sandwiches. other nationwide brands would be yamazaki and flavourfield. i think they all have very good products, some prefer this item others that.
and there are the countless numbers of small bakeries which are more of a hit and miss thing. i’ve lived in kaohsiung for many years and if i wanted a decent bread, i’d relied on the big brands here in tw, however, these days there are really a lot of new stores which make great bread, just look in your area and try, i bet there is at least one that will suit your taste.

a little bit off topic but still, i’ve found that taiwanese bread(but still western) are quite oily on the surface. is that a climate thing? the bread itself is still very good but i never experienced that from a bread that i’ve eaten in europe

1 Like

I was surprised the OP has had problems finding bread here. I used to live in Da’an, and within a 10 minute radius were at least 8 decent to great bakeries - from German bakers (like Wendels) to locally famous bake shops to the latest trendy bakeries.

I visit the Philippines often, and I have always found finding bread in that former American colony a challenge. There is a lot of western culture in Manila, so I can’t figure out why there aren’t very many bakeries around – maybe I stay in the wrong place (Makati!). I actually have friends there who run bake shop chains there, and yet I find the bread here in Taipei more diverse, plentiful and easily accessible.

2 Likes

Indeed, i’m surprised as well …hmmm problems finding tasteless bread…hmmm.

Well it was good to asked Forumosan - as fellow Forumosan people here are friendly oh.

Good tactics.

O_o