Buy or Rent in Taipei? Need Advice!

My inlaws are not involved. Just me and my wife. We are having a house inspection this weekend. Owner is an old lady who has been very open and nice about every problem in the house.

It seems like the super-luxury end of the market holds its value pretty well. It’s not like the mega-wealthy are running low on cash. And with such a dysfunctional stock market, it’s not like they have a lot of places to park it.

I cut a deal from 15 to 12 because the owner liked us. She had higher offers. She wanted more money. But it was important for her to give the house to people she liked (no family, lived there forever, etc.). I have two friends who own properties in Taipei. They say their places go up in value each year. Maybe not as dramatically as before, but definitely are not losing value. I have also heard from many people, including real estate professionals and investors that 12 mil is a great deal for Nangang. I was even surprised myself to get it. But if prices drop as you say (especially by a lot), I’m fucked.

Question: can you put it under your name too? Not all US citizens can, depends on your State. Those are the tiny details.

When you can, try to read about relevant laws in case of death -your wife’s family gets her half of the house, for example-, divorce -properties and residence -yours will be in danger until you get a permanent card.

What worries me is that your wife is not currently working, yet you are taking the plunge depleting your funds. No, that is not what a man does. You both row in the same direction on the same boat, right?

Doesn’t op have kids? Still half goes to inlaw?

If there are children, half doesn’t go to parents.

I can definitely put it under my name. My state qualifies. Now I’m thinking I should just put it under my name only. As you said, I’m paying for everything. Not sure I can do that though. And not sure how to tell that to my wife haha

Dont have a problem with opinions but facts are facts.
Only three lines above you said they went down 3 million ntd.

They don’t go up each year.

The only thing that goes up each year is age.

Are you joking?
Prices are going up. They’ve been going up for a while in Sanxia and are still going up. Houses in my area have gone up about 1 million over the past 7 months. We’ve had offers from real-estate agents saying they have interested parties for our community and home willing to pay 3million more than we did.

Maybe in some areas it’s going down, but in newer developing areas, it’s going up and up.

Do you know why they are going up there? The MRT line is under construction!

Exactly. We did our homework. Don’t regret it one bit. Don’t be silly and buy in a stagnant area. Go where value is on the rise. In 6 years our house will be worth way more that what we paid. Shop smart!

Yeah not everywhere goes up and not everywhere goes down at the same time. This is getting to be a fairly infantile argument.
I know that the prices went down in Tucheng and Tamshui and Taipei city and lots of Taoyuan.

Yeah well point out the blindingly obvious the OP is going to shop where value is on the way down. That’s part of the reason he got 3 million knocked off. So he could do well out of the value going down not up. He would regret if the value was going up before he bought it.

Of course it could go up again or down further.
Personally I think it sounds like a good deal because Nangang is supposedly an area that will be redeveloped further and it’s a pretty convenient area in Taipei city. Only time will tell.

That makes little sense. Buy going down? You buy just as its going up. Buying on a downward trend, you have no idea if it will ever climb back up and he is only in it for 10 years.

Exactlly this. Shop smart. I mean 10 years is not that short neither. Sure,not enough to have some significant statistic sample, but hey all you need is one guy, who is willing to pay more than you did. I know for myself i would buy it when staying in taiwan for that long. Do not know all details about this particular deal, not that familar with taipei but being this long in taiwan, am buying def.

I was at car exhibitions in frankfurt, and electric cars will be all over in next 10, 20 years. This is like way bigger than androids, pc markets today. I do not know who else can produce such cheap, reliable electronics as taiwanese. Those cars will be full of electronics, chips, rams etc…Maybe chinese companies can, and in this scenario, taiwanese will just work for em, in the end results is still the same, money coming to island. Today most of chips tsmc produces go for androids, but hey they will focus more and more on IoT and automotive chips. Citigroup estimated taiwan in 2050 will be third by gdp per cepita (ppp), straight after singapore and hk. So is not like taiwan is without potencial. Sure they have troubles raising their margins, salaries in business, but this is just kinda cultural. They are just cheap, willing to work hard all day long and giving 60 or even 70 % of money for their apartment, cause of hard mentality: prices allways raising up and a man must gain a face.

They really did pump a market up crazy, so government finally put taxes on it, it drops a bit, but there is no panic at all. Is totally different with spain, america, where folks gamble all over, even jobless people got mortage. In taiwan is totally different, many folks actually bought apartment with cash, huge downpayment, family support. No one can force them to sell. Taiwanese are not a panic nation. Their reaction, will be okey it happens, we will not capitalize it from it, maybe…, but then next generation or our grandson will…

1 Like

You weren’t here during SARS then, you can buy when things go down price too.

I think the above has some good points (especially about the industries of the future and the st@cjs if money accumulates here) but there are obviously large areas of Taiwan where the population is dropping or will drop soon due to the plummeting birth rate. The cohort graduating now is the first big drop coming through to adulthood.

Only really around Taoyuan, parts of new Taipei city and maybe Hsinchu and Taichung has the population actually really increased. Even in Taipei city the population has dropped as families moved out to the suburbs.

There is no shortage of places to buy or rent that’s for.sure and that is quite different to many places worldwide!
You won’t have a problem finding a place to live.
Its all just going to be about better locations to live for life quality, schooling and work.

Taiwan is actually a terrible place for.many young adults, you know the average pay not only for 20-30 years olds but 30-40 years old has dropped back to less than 15 years ago …just something like 34k/month! That’s a disaater.
One would want to keep an eye on the emigration trends although I don’t think it is significant now.

One more thing: as first time buyers, you guys are entitled to a rebate by the Government, in taxes and I think maybe some dough as incentive. So that is a good thing.

2 Likes

Just curious what year you purchased 80 sq meters for 2 million?

2015, the year of typhoon Saudelor!

It still sounds bit unbelievable to be honest.2 million, are you sure ? :sunglasses: It’s not even that cheap in the back ass of Miaoli.

Well maybe possible for very small run down flat in Kaoshiung where you spend another million to fix it. The range of prices is huge, newer high-rise flat 40+million, in my hood, people buy the old house tear it down and rebuild or expensive renovation that costs more the property.