Can being "blacklisted" in China stop you from working in Taiwan?

Can’t go into the details of how I am supposedly ‘blacklisted’ in China, as sources to this info are as yet unreliable.

So far, all I know is that a past employer in China left a ‘bad review’ on a government database, which has affected my current my current placement in China.

In any case, I must consider this possibilty seriously when applying for jobs in Taiwan.

If I am ‘blacklisted’ in China, could it affect my application for a work-visa in Taiwan?

I would like to hear from anyone who has experienced similar circumstances or can give a firm confirmation.

Taiwan is de facto its own country and there is no secret database of bad teachers. You should be fine in Taiwan.

Taiwan is de jure a sovereign state, not de facto. It issues passports, controls it own borders, prints a currency which is openly traded etc. etc.

2 Likes

It might even be a plus. Many Taiwanese despise the mainlanders and their opinions.

2 Likes

Mr. Bear, you’re talking about a hypothetical constitutional interpretation by the JY. For now, if you want to be correct de jure within the legal system of whatever Taiwan is, you need to say ROC.

It doesn’t really make a difference for the OP’s question, so please start another thread or revive an old one if you wish to discuss it further. :slight_smile:

Sir Johnston, there is some co-operation between the two sides with regard to legal matters (verifying marriages and so on), but for the government to reject a work permit application due to a bad review from an ex-employer on the other side? That would be surprising.

Some educational instutitions have recently made headlines for allegedly breaking the law when they pledged not to expose mainland students to controversial ideas and so on. It’s not quite beyond imagination that some of those institutions could be interested in the kind of list you’re talking about, but you would still have other employers to choose from.

De facto de jure? My point is only that Taiwan is not some shady quasi-state. Diplomatic wrangling aside and despite the fact that it idiotically continues to confuse the world with the ROC name…it’s a country.

Unless it’s on a criminal record Taiwanese companies should not have access to that information. Some companies do a extensive background check and if they see that you were in China they may ask you for information on where you lived and such. But like all information, it is possible they can get it if it really mattered to them that much but it’s highly unlikely.

Far as I know the only place they exchange government related information is via the straights exchange foundation, there is zero risk they are sharing black lists of teachers.

As for many Taiwanese despising “the mainlanders” keep in mind that many Taiwanese are closely connected by family and other links to China.

I’ve never seen this in my entire life. How many is many? It’s pretty rare that this is the case.

I know quite a few, and not all of them are waishengren. Some are connected by marriage, and others by old family ties.

There are loads. My wife is from China so it comes up in conversations for me. People tell me all the time that they or their dad, or mother, or whatever is from such and such a province.