Cheney Escapes Taliban Suicide Attack on Base

[quote]Dick Cheney was rushed to the safety of a bomb shelter by Secret Service agents yesterday when a suicide bomber attacked an American base in Afghanistan, killing as many as 21 people. The Taliban claimed that it was an assassination attempt on the US vice president.

Mr Cheney had spent the night at Bagram air base and breakfasted with American troops before the bomber detonated his explosives at a security checkpoint outside the camp, 40 miles north of the capital Kabul.

The bomber had mingled with Afghan labourers waiting to begin work inside the sprawling base. He detonated a device strapped to his body when challenged at the first of several checkpoints.

An American soldier and a South Korean colleague were among the dead. Mr Cheney escaped injury and the attack failed to disrupt his itinerary.

He later visited Kabul for talks with President Hamid Karzai about the expected Taliban spring offensive, before flying to the Middle East.

Qari Yousef Ahmadi, a Taliban spokesman, said: “We knew that Dick Cheney would be staying inside the base. The attacker was trying to reach Cheney.”

But US officials cast doubt on the claim that it was a pre-planned attack on the vice president, pointing out that Mr Cheney had made an unscheduled overnight stay at Bagram after bad weather prevented him travelling to Kabul on Monday evening.

Speaking en route to Oman, Mr Cheney said: “I heard a loud boom. The Secret Service came in and told me there had been an attack. They moved me for a relatively brief period to one of the bomb shelters.” He said that the attackers were seeking to challenge the authority of the central government.

“Striking at Bagram with a suicide bomber, I suppose, is one way to do that. It shouldn’t affect our behaviour.”

Crowds of anguished relatives collected the bodies of Afghan civilians, which were lined up in body bags for identification outside the main gate.

“My brother,” screamed one man over the corpse of one of the victims.

Another man helped to carry away the body of a man named Said, a 28-year-old driver from the west of Afghanistan, who was delivering supplies to the base.

Taliban commanders have boasted that they have several thousand volunteers ready to carry out suicide bombings. Such attacks were all but unknown in Afghanistan until two years ago. A total of 21 occurred in 2005, rising to 139 last year.

On Monday Mr Cheney met the Pakistani president, General Pervez Musharraf, in Islamabad. It was reported yesterday that during the visit Gen Musharraf, who has long denied al-Qa’eda enjoys refuge in his country, was presented by the CIA with “evidence” from satellite photographs and electronic intercepts that the group was building up its strength on Pakistani soil.

Bolstered by the CIA evidence, Mr Cheney delivered a tough message to Gen Musharraf that the United States would not tolerate Pakistan becoming a safe haven for terrorists.[/quote]

telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh … ghan28.xml

Looks like Cheney nearly had it.

The part at the end is idiotic. The “border” between Afghanistan and Pakistan is completely illusory. The border crossings are a complete joke. The Pakistani guards are only nominally beholden to the Musharraf regime; their loyalties lie with the local tribal elders who make tidy profits in drug and gun smuggling. Pashtuns in that region do not consider themselves “Afghan Pashtuns” or “Pakistani Pashtuns”, just Pashtuns. They are divided neither by language, family, or custom. The Taliban and al-Qaida move freely back and forth over the so-called border, and Musharraf can do nothing about it without earning the rage of local tribal elders, which would only result in their further cooperation and collaboration with the Taliban and al-Qaida. It’s a complex situation in Pakistan, but I don’t believe Musharraf has any more desire to see a re-Talibanization of Afghanistan (and therefore parts of Pakistan) any more than we do. Cheney’s rhetoric demonstrates an ignorance of the realities of Pashtunistan (as the locals call it) and Musharraf’s tough predicament.

Too bad they didn’t get him . . . oops did I really say that? :astonished:

Bodo

[quote=“Bodo”]Too bad they didn’t get him . . . oops did I really say that? :astonished:

Bodo[/quote]

They got close enough for him to hear it though. Just a little closer and they might have given the old geezer a heart attack.

[quote=“navillus”][quote=“Bodo”]Too bad they didn’t get him . . . oops did I really say that? :astonished:
Bodo[/quote]
They got close enough for him to hear it though. Just a little closer and they might have given the old geezer a heart attack.[/quote]
From Dick…with Love…

It wasn’t a suicide attack; it was a hunting accident.

TC, where did you get that pic and why would anyone photoshop in a smile on Cheney?

Too bad.

Three possibilities (in order of likeliness):

1. It was a random attack not aimed at Cheney; the situation in Afghanistan has deteriorated so much that attacks like these are commonplace, and only Cheney’s presence makes it newsworthy.

2. Someone inside the base got the word out quickly enough that the Taliban were able to spring into action (which would take care of the talking point that this was not pre-planned.)

3. Pakistan’s ISF was using its clients in Afghanistan to make its own reply to Cheney’s message to Musharraf.

I also like that Dick was threatening Pervez with the fact that that the Congress was now controlled by Democrats who would cut aid if Pakistan didn’t crack down on the Taliban (agree with gao bo han that there’s
not much he can do):

“Look Mushie, these guys aren’t like us- they don’t just do photo-ops; they’re serious about this War on Terror stuff.”

Conspiracy!!!

Cheney will probably be hiding in a bunker for the next 6 months, like the chicken-shit did after 9/11! :laughing:

[quote=“MikeN”]Three possibilities (in order of likeliness):

1. It was a random attack not aimed at Cheney; the situation in Afghanistan has deteriorated so much that attacks like these are commonplace, and only Cheney’s presence makes it newsworthy.

2. Someone inside the base got the word out quickly enough that the Taliban were able to spring into action (which would take care of the talking point that this was not pre-planned.)

3. Pakistan’s ISF was using its clients in Afghanistan to make its own reply to Cheney’s message to Musharraf.

I also like that Dick was threatening Pervez with the fact that that the Congress was now controlled by Democrats who would cut aid if Pakistan didn’t crack down on the Taliban (agree with gao bo han that there’s
not much he can do):

“Look Mushie, these guys aren’t like us- they don’t just do photo-ops; they’re serious about this War on Terror stuff.”[/quote]

I actually think that option (2) is the most likely. A major part of normal military operations in Afghanistan is to utilize proxy armies of local mercenaries, just like the Soviets did during their occupation of Afghanistan in the ‘80s. Needless to say, the local mercs often have conflicting interests and loyalties. I think it’s likely one of them leaked the info.

I don’t think the ISI were involved (I assume you meant the ISI; I don’t know what the ISF is). From what I’ve read they are steadfastly loyal to the central government, carefully screened, and well-paid. The regular Pakistan Army is a different story. Part of the central government’s agreement with the local tribal elders on the border regions is that a certain percentage of the regular army soldiers stationed there will be members of the local tribes. Their loyalty to the local elders is obvious and this situation is powerfully detrimental to Musharraf’s control of the region.

[quote=“Bodo”]Too bad they didn’t get him . . . oops did I really say that? :astonished:

Bodo[/quote]

Be careful what you wish for. If they had got him, we would be at war with Iran by the end of April.

[quote=“alidarbac”][quote=“Bodo”]Too bad they didn’t get him . . . oops did I really say that? :astonished:

Bodo[/quote]

Be careful what you wish for. If they had got him, we would be at war with Iran by the end of April.[/quote]

Why? The Taliban and Iran are mortal enemies. I don’t see the connection.

Did you see a connection between Iraq and 9/11?

It’s too bad that they didn’t get him . Sad to say that I would really wish harm on anyone like that, but perhaps a brain injury like most soliders are experiencing from IEDs would have ‘enlightened’ him. :s

As culpable or otherwise as Cheney may be, for my own peace of mind I’m going to assume that no one here is really serious about seeing a successful mission carried out by these fucking luddites. Let’s not forget “a U.S. servicemember, a coalition member and a U.S. government contractor died in that attack.”

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]As culpable or otherwise as Cheney may be, for my own peace of mind I’m going to assume that no one here is really serious about seeing a successful mission carried out by these fucking luddites. Let’s not forget “a U.S. servicemember, a coalition member and a U.S. government contractor died in that attack.”

HG[/quote]

Sorry but the 3 didn’t make the news here. :s

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]As culpable or otherwise as Cheney may be, for my own peace of mind I’m going to assume that no one here is really serious about seeing a successful mission carried out by these fucking luddites. Let’s not forget “a U.S. servicemember, a coalition member and a U.S. government contractor died in that attack.”

HG[/quote]
Not to mention about 20 Afghanies.

Good term there HG. Luddites, though in a social/philosophical sense, huh?

Urrgh. No mention of the 20 odd Afghanis in the report I saw. And sorry, yes, that should be Luddites, and in every possible sense of the word.

You know a lot of the original Luddites ended up breaking rocks in Australia. They’re still there now, take John Howard for example. No, please, really, take him anywhere you like, but out of Australia, if you could. :laughing:

HG

Bodo[/quote]

Ah…I see you’re following in the footsteps of the other saints in the Leftist panthenon like Stalin, Mao, Castro and Kim Il-song…if you disagree with someone politically, you have them murdered.

Please show us some more of that compassion we’ve all come to expect from the Left and their buttboys in the “Democratic” Party.

[quote=“Doctor Evil”][quote=“Bodo”]Too bad they didn’t get him . . . oops did I really say that? :astonished:

Bodo[/quote]

Ah…I see you’re following in the footsteps of the other saints in the Leftist panthenon like Stalin, Mao, Castro and Kim Il-song…if you disagree with someone politically, you have them murdered.

Please show us some more of that compassion we’ve all come to expect from the Left and their buttboys in the “Democratic” Party.[/quote]

Are you implying that Bodo is glad that the attack failed, since now the Vice President can be murdered by decree of Saint Bodo?