Chic Lit (Woman's Literature)?

Walking through Eslite Xinyi today and saw a section today called “Chic Lit” which seems totally bizarre to me. Checking online and I guess it’s a common term around the world. I’m always referring to women as a women but I guess chic is ok too.chiclit.

• Both my doctor and dentist are chics.
  • The president of Taiwan, Germany, others… are chics.

Wonder what the chics thinks about this?

Only for the stylish ones. :sunglasses:

Well “Chick Lit” is a term that’s been around at least a couple of decades, but “Chic Lit” is a new “Taiwan UP!” spelling for me.

Yeah, it’s a term that’s a little weird and awkward. I don’t read or hear it as much as I used to.

It’s wordplay based on “Chiclet,” a brand of candy-coated chewing gum. The term (under various spellings) arose in the 1990s, to describe the new “sex and shopping” sub-genre of popular Anglophone fiction inspired by Bridget Jones’ Diary. It is not generally applied to works by, or about, women which don’t fit into this subgenre.

Compare with “Christian fiction,” a term which would not include the likes of Tolstoy or Graham Greene, but is a multi-genre marketing label designed to sell lowbrow novels to US evangelicals.