China might issue Taiwan SAR passports

That’s pretty standard stuff to provide and not hard to obtain at all. Far easier than anything back home in the USA. Getting an APRC requires no hoop jumping.

Knowing them they will just invalidate those citizenships and make them apply as foreigners again, considering they don’t allow foreigners in China to naturalize. And then say that Taiwan didn’t have the right to issue them.

Like was said previously, Taiwan had no prior white influence, unlike hong kong.

That would doubly-suck. Since the ROC requires westerners to formally give up their current citizenship, complete with notification to the embassy of their home nation, and acknowledgment of said notification, that would effectively leave them stateless.

If Taiwan becomes a SAR, then they should have their own immigration laws. I doubt the PRC would invalidate their citizenship. They might put extra surveillance on them though.

I’m not sure where you’re from, but for me, getting that FBI background check, then getting it authenticated by the TECO in Washington DC, was not simple at all.

TW gov just clarified publicly that any PRC passport holder will not have Taiwanese citizenship.

That’s “ANY” PRC passport holder.

So basically, you are a naturalized PRC citizen originally born in Taiwan. And sure enough you’ll be treated as PRC citizen any where in the world.

What’s the big deal.

So the ROC government has just created a ruling that may have some serious consequences for ROC passport holders who travel, especially those that travel during CNY.

IF the PRC implements this, and at this point, may as well say its a given, then any traveller overseas may not be able to return home. Which means nations may not want the burden, which means ROC passports are effectively useless. As mentioned there are only a handful of nations that can resist China’s charms for a period of time.

China can then turn the screws by not allowing planes to and from Taiwan to cross its airspace. Thailand is a popular layover from planes from TPE to the EU. Say China can lean on the Thais to no longer allow ROC passport holders to come in or transit, and not allow planes to/fro Taiwan to land. Life will have just become really inconvenient for 23 million people.

1 Like

/thread

This idea is dead before it’s left the ground.

There’s a lot of hyperbolic reactions to China here. All that Propaganda is surprisingly effective.

1 Like

It’s actually not completely unheard of for SOME foreigners who never held Chinese citizenship and have no Chinese relatives to obtain PRC nationality. They are very very few in number though and I think most of them have been in China for 40-60 years. Dashan could probably get the Chinese passport if he really really wanted to, but why would he want to.

Dang. I didn’t think of that. Lunar New year might be a time for the PRC to achieve maximum chaos.

Wonder what this would mean for ARC holders?

The background check is no longer required if you have not been out of Taiwan for more than three months at a time.

https://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1090288&ctNode=30085&mp=2

A foreign national, who has legally resided in the State for five years in a row and has not left the State for over 3 months during any particular trip out of the country, is exempted from submitting a health certificate and no criminal records of the original country

I don’t think you understand what the PRC is trying to do.

Should the PRC start issuing Taiwan SAR passports, it will likely try to persuade other countries to not recognize the ROC passport. Which means Taiwanese either get a Taiwan SAR passport or they may not be able to leave Taiwan.

1 Like

nonredneck,

To be honest it’s a laughable idea to generate click baits but no serious adults should worry about it.

Ultimately the countries that accept such TaiwanSAR passports (basically fake passports) would put themselves at huge security risk —> they are accepting PRC passports of dubious identity. Guess what, PRC passport holders will be treated as PRC travellers.

3 Likes

There is no reason why any country would not accept Taiwan-issued passport, regardless of what PRC does.

Japan accepts Taiwan passports, right?
If you are Korea, wouldn’t you want to accept Taiwan passports as well? If you don’t, then all the tourists money and business is going to Japan. You loose.

And your citizens travelling to Taiwan will be put at risk. So why would you be so stupid?

Money talks.

1 Like

You’re Taiwanese aren’t you? The naivety and utter cluelessness of the people of the island of the rest of the world is sad sometimes. The PRC is being more aggressive in trying to take Taiwan. No one did anything when China built a military base in the South China Sea and I don’t see anybody aiding Taiwan as China becomes more aggressive in its claims to Taiwan.

You have some serious delusions about Taiwan’s place in the world. China is much more relevant in the world than Taiwan now.

You’re right, money talks, but China has more money. I don’t see many countries siding with Taiwan if China declares Taiwan to be a SAR. If China threatens or bribes them, then no more ROC passport.

But the PRC hasn’t started Taiwan SAR passports yet. If it does, let’s watch and which country sides with who. I wouldn’t expect it to be effective immediately, rather China will give it some time first, then turn the screws.

2 Likes

The PRC being a larger and more powerful country (which no one denies) does not immediately translate into it being able to dictate the internal affairs of most countries on the globe. You’ve been alarmist and irrational this entire thread.

I don’t see many countries siding with Taiwan if China declares Taiwan to be a SAR. If China threatens or bribes them, then no more ROC passport.

I am sure a few of the usual third world suspects will fall in line. But even now there are only a handful of countries that accept PRC issued documents for ROC citizens as legitimate travel documents (Jamaica comes to mind). Accepting passports for an SAR that doesn’t even exist is a much taller order.

The sky isn’t falling, relax. This must have been what the 80s were like WRT Japan.

1 Like

I don’t mind China investing their time and resources in gimmicks that end up shooting themselves in the foot.

Yes I am Taiwanese and the issue has never really China vs Taiwan, although that’s what the Chinese would want Taiwanese to think. They tend to like to present it in that big-vs-small framework, for obvious reasons. It’s called “isolation.” Reality is, Taiwanese are much more educated and much more informed than the Chinese to buy into that.

If say in the extreme case only US and Japan accept Taiwan-issued passports. That would make American and Japanese influence in Taiwan dwarf every other country including China. Chinese influence will shrink to zero - the level it was prior to CSB’s opening up to China in early 2000s. Those pro-China folks (5%) who opted into China’s “passport” will loose their Taiwanese citizenship status, if not their residency status, a big plus to the DPP. The vacuum that China creates will be quickly filled up by Japan or US. Taiwan would practically become a province of Japan or US. Ultimately for practical reason Japan or US may issue their own passports for the Taiwanese.

The problem with China’s big-vs-small framework is they intentionally omits dynamics. Everything is linear and deterministic in China’s framework.

Xi is not a rational player. He is an ideological one. What you are saying is based on presently followed conventions of how the world should work. Looking at what Xi is doing in HK or generally in China, there is no reason to believe he will follow those conventions.

1 Like

To that end…

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/chinese-president-solidify-power_us_597a58f1e4b0da64e877f46f?utm_hp_ref=xi-jinping