Chinese/Taiwanese oblivious to pedestrians

Recently a guy friend of mine in a western country told me bumped into Chinese guy on the street because the Chinese guy and two friends were walking 3-abreast down a small street and he knew they would not likely move. He told me he just looked straight ahead and increased his pace and bumped right into the Chinese guy, bumped hard into the shoulder and just kept walking. He said the Chinese guy spun around and raised his hand but didn’t do anything.
Now my question is this, I live in Taiwan now and notice this trend as well. Walking 3-5 people a breast and expecting others to move seems the norm. It seems if you don’t make an effort to get out of the way, Taiwanese will just keep walking into you. Anyone else notice this trend?

Helped you out here a bit.

1 Like

That’s New Yorkers for you.

just plow through them. who gives a shit.

If they want to walk right into me, I won’t chicken out. They’re most likely to get bumped out of my way. The only circumstance when I would dodge is when they’re elderly or they carry an umbrella threatening to poke my eyes out.

The other day three dudes were waiting to get fried chicken and they were chatting cheerfully, basically blocking the narrow sidewalk. I was carrying a full messenger bag and my daughter was in my arms. One of them made brief visual contact but swiftly returned to the conversation. I stood there, less than 1 meter away from two of the guys, motioning to pass in between, and they just plain ignored me. I asked them twice “sorry, do you mind?”, and they continued ignoring me. So I went in right through them, and switched to the “duibuqi” instead.

Not exactly oblivious. They think they have the right to walk where ever they want and take up the whole sidewalk. They simply refuse to move for anybody because of their selfishness and don’t consider giving other people room to pass. In a Western country I would just bump into them. Maybe they will eventually get the hint. In Taiwan, not so sure. They might call their buddies to beat you with sticks.

You can always try beating them at their own game. A few times when I faced a group blocking the sidewalk walking towards me I pretended not to take notice and looked at my phone while I slowly moved forward glancing in front of my feet. They’ll either break their chain as we pass each other or come to an awkward face-off in which we stand in front of each other for second before they walk around me. I find most Taiwanese are uncomfortable with the prospect of brushing up against me.

A lot of times they’ll look like they’re going to walk right into you only to step around you and the last second without missing a beat. Getting stuck behind the group is far worse than when they’re coming towards you

Just plow through them, don’t even bother saying excuse me or pardon me anymore. I’ve learned to walk with my shoulders locked so 99% of the time it is them that get pushed off.

My rule of thumb still stays though, no matter what I’ll get out of the way for children, pregnant women, the elderly and the disabled. However; regardless of age, I’ll bitch you out if you cut in line. The other night at eslite, I was walking out of the elevator when this older gentleman tried to bum rush into the elevator. There was no line and it wasn’t even packed. So I locked my should and WHAMN! I felt my shoulder rocked his mouth and he cried out in pain. His family member told me to be careful and I turned around and just smiled.

As for being stuck behind a wall of people taking up the entire sidewalk, I just stomp loudly and most of the time they will heed. If not, I’ll say in english, “move bitch,” and they gladly stop and let me pass. Gone are the days of being polite. Or if they don’t move, I don’t mind to gladly tap your feet and see who falls first.

2 Likes

Shoulder an old man in the face? Tap on peoples’ feet and call them bitch to set people straight? Nice :thumbsup: We need more enforcers like you to set the locals straight. Ever kick anyone in the balls for smoking near a doorway? Keep up the good work :astonished:

[quote=“Robotea”]Just plow through them, don’t even bother saying excuse me or pardon me anymore. I’ve learned to walk with my shoulders locked so 99% of the time it is them that get pushed off.

My rule of thumb still stays though, no matter what I’ll get out of the way for children, pregnant women, the elderly and the disabled. However; regardless of age, I’ll bitch you out if you cut in line. The other night at eslite, I was walking out of the elevator when this older gentleman tried to bum rush into the elevator. There was no line and it wasn’t even packed. So I locked my should and WHAMN! I felt my shoulder rocked his mouth and he cried out in pain. His family member told me to be careful and I turned around and just smiled.

As for being stuck behind a wall of people taking up the entire sidewalk, I just stomp loudly and most of the time they will heed. If not, I’ll say in english, “move bitch,” and they gladly stop and let me pass. Gone are the days of being polite. Or if they don’t move, I don’t mind to gladly tap your feet and see who falls first.[/quote]

Oh sh*t. hahah. Nice job. You’re doing God’s work. hahahah

The 2/3/4/5 abreast thing is a problem in both Taiwan and China. I hold my path, and don’t mind a bit of shoulder bumping.

The idiots who seem to actually walk into my path - get a good knock.

I run into this all the time. As long as I make no sign of moving, like checking phone or staring off to the right, they move. Always. It’s actually a fun game to play. Walk backwards while talking to friend while crossing the road, not a single person will bump into you.

Robotea, you are one tough cookie!

its weird, they are very polite in some circumstances here but not in others. on the streets politeness just goes out of the window, i feel rude sometimes being pushy but if i am not people simply won’t let me pass…

what annoys me is when people are riding a scooter on the sidewalk or when a car is creeping across the crossing (instead of waiting for people to pass) people get out of the way without protest. respect is shown just because they are in a car or scooter, even though they do not have priority.

I hate that too… bastards riding scooters on the sidewalk. Another example of the selfish, rotten mindset of most people here. Just stand your ground and knock them hard. I did that a few times just to find our that they are staring at me without realizing what’s going on. That’s the problem: they don’t realize what’s going on around them.

Usually when a scooter is behind me while I walk on the sidewalk, I take my sweet time walking. I’m still a believer in pedestrians have priority. One time some idiot had the balls to honk at me and I made sure to walk even slower. Nowadays I carry a switch blade and when a scooter is behind me really close, I snap out that knife and hold it to my side and keep walking. And every time so far the scooter guy has backed off.

In regards to the cars making a left/right when it’s a green light for us to walk, I see how close the cars can get to me and if it’s close enough to touch, your car might just get keyed while you drive by. Next time I might just carry a paint pen and let’s see how they like that nice little line. Fuckers.

1 Like

You walk around Taiwan carrying a switch blade? I thought tough guys fight with their bare knuckles

I’ve always carried one around since I was a kid. Never used it in a fight and never will.

R u for real robotea? I mean u sound like a legend if you are anyway.

1 Like

he sounds like a ‘human explosive powder keg’ . May not end well.