Company unable to provide work permit

Hi,

So I have been working for a couple weeks at a job that promised me a work permit, but due to some unforseen government restrictions they are unable to provide one for me. After finding this out they offered for me to continue working for them but illegally. First I told them no and to keep trying, but yesterday I told them I would if they would raise my salary by a decent amount and pay for my plane ticket for my visa run. However, today they said that they are willing to pay for the plane ticket but they won’t increase my salary at all. They also said that if I suddenly get sick and need to go to the hospital they will help me pay for that, but I am not sure if I can trust that.

Anyway, my question is: If I am being offered the foreign minimum salary of $48000/month along with them paying for my plane ticket, is that worth the risk of working illegally or should i cut my losses and move on?

I also want to mention that I don’t have any real experience in this field and that the job is extremely boring with almost 0 human interaction.

Thank you very much for your help.

Short answer: no.

If you are caught, expect a large fine and deportation. Even if they could have obtained the work permit, you could have been caught during the application process (i.e. you’re supposed to wait). The employer also stands to get in serious trouble.

4 Likes

I second this. It’s not worth it. If you’re here for other reasons than just work, best to find a more stable and legit job. Whereas if you took the job, you run the risk of not being allowed back into the country.

There’s other jobs out there that can give you an ARC and pay you the minimum foreigner salary.

In addition, all else being equal, this seems unlikely. This is just speculation, but you might want to consider the possibility that they never intended or attempted to get a permit.

4 Likes

Have them disclosed what are those “unforseen restrictions”?

No. And also ask them for 2 weeks severance and if they don’t give it threaten to go to the Labor Affairs Bureau and spill the beans.

Yeah, the guy has two companies but the one he needs me for is fairly new. So it doesn’t meet the revenue requirements I think. There was another reason why they said I couldn’t just work for the other company for the sake of getting the work permit, but Im not completely sure what the reason is.

1 Like

Forget about them.

Tell them to triple your salary or GTFO.

Thanks for your advice everyone. I talked with my boss and we agreed it’s best I move on

1 Like

Probably because (in general) that’s also illegal. :idunno: