Confused About Teaching Kindy ... Again

You say kindy teaching is illegal but…

People are always posting kindergarten jobs on Tealit/Taiwanted
and don’t the school have to report you on their taxes?

Am I missing something?

[quote=“Lili”]You say kindy teaching is illegal but…

People are always posting kindergarten jobs on Tealit/Taiwanted
and don’t the school have to report you on their taxes?

Am I missing something?[/quote]

Yes, you’re missing that this is Taiwan…up is down, black is white, chou dofu is tasty.

Maybe they are relying on the fact no one in taiwan can actually read english? (:

:eh: Then…

What stops people from working at a kindy?

…Or… :idunno: just plain working illegally?
Doesn’t it get reported on taxes? Do Taiwanese get around this by typically paying under the table?

It’s all in the paperwork. You’ll officially be working for the buxiban.

I don’t know about all kindies, but many of the ones my friends work for double up or are registered as buxibans. So even though 2/3 or all of their paychecks are made up of kindy hours, their ARC still says that they’re employed by a buxiban. And when the tax bureau receives their taxes, they think they’re receiving them from a buxiban.

Lili, I think in Taiwan the general feeling is that it is important that rules/laws exist, but not that they are enforced or that they make any sense. (IMO this particular regulation makes sense though).

To give you a little example. Look at the “regulation signs” at playgrounds. They are in Chinese and English. Both languages state that kids below the age of 6 are not allowed to use them. I pointed this out to a Taiwanese neighbor whose toddler played on a playground with my son. She laughed and said “these are regulations - they just have to put them up there - it doesn’t mean anything”.
People on this island do not understand much about structuring things with logic. You can really confuse and anger many people here when you start to apply logic.
It can happen though that someone comes up with “no, this is against this or that regulation!” And when you tell them that it seems rather arbitrary to insist on one regulation when so many others are completely ignored in the same time, you will find out that this objection is not seen or understood as a valid point.

There are quite a few regulations and laws that don’t make sense in the Occidental world as well but my biggest pet peeve is that the rules/laws are not being strictly enforced in Taiwan. How many times can you honest say that you’ve seen kids on a moped without helmets?

“Officer, there are no helmet for kids :liar: …just let me go.”

One reason for putting up the sign is to make sure that when you let your below 6 year old kid play on the playground and he gets hurt in an accident, you will be liable for it, not the city. Why do you think there’s no logic to it? Or would you rather see the rule enforced by putting a police officer on every playground to keep toddlers from playing there? I guess I just didn’t get your point.

… all all this means that you will get jailed/deported if caught teaching kindy. Period. Many people “play it by ear”, rely on the buxiban thinghie, and get away no problem. Others are thrown under the bus when the cops make a surprise raid…

I don’t think a officer will stop a mother on a moped cause her toddler is standing between her legs without a helmet. This would be a naughty thing to do. She is just bringing him to the kindergarten. She should not be late. The foreign teacher will talk about the importance of traffic safety. You have to understand that people here care a lot about the safety & education of their kids.

GCRider - I’m talking about playgrounds with slides about 1 meter high and plastic ducks 50 cm high above the ground to sit and seesaw, designed for pre-school kids. I think you have kids, so you will probably know what I am talking about.

Sure kindy is illegal.

However in most cases the kindy has a “relationship” with the local board of education inspectors, and are warned well in advance of an inspection. This is the case at schools I worked at.
The principal would tell us when the inspectors were coming and we would go sit in another class where they would not come.
I also have a JFRV as my wife is Taiwanese. This reduces the risk even if caught.

If I did not have a JFRV I would not teach kindy, however I beleive I am relatively safe although it is still not legal for me to teach kindy.
The information I have picked up on this forum is that the inspectors will not do anything even if caught if you have a JFRV.

and you have no qualms whatsoever doing something illegal as a living.

and you have no qualms whatsoever doing something illegal as a living.[/quote]

If he has an Open Work Permit, then he is not doing anything illegal. The gov does not allow kindies to sponsor FOBs for a work permit. No work permit, no ARC. With APRC or JFRV, you don’t need a sponsor, so it is not illegal.

So wait.
Kindys are legal, but they are not allowed to hire Foreigners or give out ARCs/work permit. ^According to Toe Save

Oh. So that’s why they post adverts and such. Makes sense now. The forum posts made it sound like the actual existence of kindys was illegal.

[quote=“Lili”]So wait.
Kindys are legal, but they are not allowed to hire Foreigners or give out ARCs/work permit. ^According to Toe Save

Oh. So that’s why they post adverts and such. Makes sense now. The forum posts made it sound like the actual existence of kindys was illegal.[/quote]

Don’t trust what people say on the internet unless there is some sort of reference to back them up, ESPECIALLY on forumosa. I have been given different information, and that is, it is illegal to teach kids below a certain age english. (I forget the exact age). Having a Marriage visa doesn’t make it ok. I believe not even local Taiwanese citizens are allowed to teach english to children. I don’t have the skill to dig up a piece of chinese legislation, however some sites confirm this,

ie transitionsabroad.com/listin … tion.shtml
ie last post in this thread: [Kindergarten laws - #73 by Satellite_TV

This. Teaching kindy in Taiwan is illegal in much the same way that jaywalking in NYC is illegal; it is a generally accepted practice that can even be done in full view of the police but you may get deported/arrested for it.

[quote=“pqkdzrwt”][quote=“Lili”]So wait.

Oh. So that’s why they post adverts and such. Makes sense now. The forum posts made it sound like the actual existence of kindys was illegal.[/quote]

Don’t trust what people say on the internet unless there is some sort of reference to back them up, ESPECIALLY on forumosa. I have been given different information, and that is, it is illegal to teach kids below a certain age english. (I forget the exact age). Having a Marriage visa doesn’t make it ok. I believe not even local Taiwanese citizens are allowed to teach english to children. I don’t have the skill to dig up a piece of chinese legislation, however some sites confirm this,

ie transitionsabroad.com/listin … tion.shtml
ie last post in this thread: [Kindergarten laws - #73 by Satellite_TV
So you’re saying that even if you have a TARC (台灣地區居留證) or a Taiwanese ID Card, you still can’t teach at a Kindy? What if you have a TARC (台灣地區居留證) or a Taiwanese ID Card AND a degree in Early Childhood Development?

Sure you’re allowed to teach at a kindy, but you’re not allowed to teach ENGLISH at a kindy. Respective of your residence/citizenship status.

How would they know you’re teaching English? Doesn’t everyone say Saffas (or ex-Saffas) can’t speak English anyway? :smiley: