CPI SM250 & related banter

Afraid I haven’t heard anything about the newer models, but I can report back on having it as an everyday bike. As RK said, small problems here and there, but all in all a fun bike. I do take care of it though, getting it serviced regularly and having kept it (for most of its 2.5yrs worth of living) in indoor parking.

Update: Got it checked out and they confirmed that the carb needed a change (NT4k). Yay for it starting really easily now after short stops (the face I was losing waiting for it to start in parking lots, I tell you what).

[quote=“TaFCoML”]

Update: Got it checked out and they confirmed that the carb needed a change (NT4k). Yay for it starting really easily now after short stops (the face I was losing waiting for it to start in parking lots, I tell you what).[/quote]

The stock carb is junk! They go after 2 years…go figure! I upgraded and have not had any more carb problems. It made so much of a difference! Do the new ones have fuel injection?

rk what carb you using? do you need to any other modification, tuning to run it good?

Im using a CVK Kelhin 33 or 34mm (I forget the size.) I think the stock carb is a 30mm. It didn’t make much of a power difference, just a bit…but it has made it run better. Before my idle was always out of wack and my bike used to just suddenly die on me at stop lights. It hasn’t done that since I changed my carb.

To do it right you will need to modify your airbox a bit. But it isn’t that hard.

When I bought mine I was told the stock carb was 26mm, and if you change the header to the non cat one, they also change the carb to 28mm when new. This could be wrong though.

My bike has had a few rides in the past couple of weeks. I got a Pirelli Sport Demon 110.70.17 tyre on the front. Actually I sent my dad to Jhongli Motorbike to get a BT39 but instead of just doing what he was told, he noticed the Bridgestone was tubeless fitment and didn’t get it (doing me a favour!). Anyway it’s going fine. It feels a lot quicker steering, and also more stable, than a standard maxxis front with 13,000km on it that’s totally bald on the left side. How it would compare to a new one I don’t know. I had both pegs down no worries last weekend on the 118 though so I think it’s a definite improvement.

I think the standard Maxxis rear is $2500 at the CPI shop in Taoyuan.

My carb has started doing that uneven idle thing again, pulling up to traffic lights and it’s sitting there at 3300rpm. Maybe my carb’s fucked too. How can the carb on my wife’s scooter do 14 years and 79,000km and still be fine?

I went to get a new throttle cable today because mine is feeling grindy and fucked. I saw a customer there with a brand new SM250, still had the paint on the tyres and everything. It looks like the only things they’ve changed in the past three years is the rear mudguard shape, the front disc shape, the rear brake caliper and the headlight design, and also the cosmetics. It could be different inside but externally it looks like the exact same bike save for those things.

I’m considering changing the throttle to a slightly quicker action one… anyone else done that?

I changed rear tire to 140/70-17 Kenda K761 dual sport, so far so good, I like it. Good on the road, went to a beach and played in the sand,didn’t stuck (of course sand was not completely dry after overnight rain) and its also looks better (meaner) for my color scheme (Military issue KTM LT4)

I changed the throttle cable and externally cleaned the carb yesterday. It’s running a lot better now but it has stalled twice when pulling away from lights in the last couple of weeks. Could it be the beginning of th end for my carb too? The pump function may not be working properly because it happened when I opened it up off the idle. It’s Keihin though and I know that’s a good make. How can it be so crap?

I also removed the instrument panel to see how it goes. The only thing on it I miss is the neutral light to be honest. I’m sure I’ll get used to not having one. I’m itching to try that number plate out.

I’m kind of into it at the moment. I feel like buying the fastace USD forks and shock for $32000. Unfortunately I’ve just bought a house and my wife’s having another kid in two months so it’s not looking very likely.

On the positive side, a new gold chain and sprockets must be bought just to keep the bike on the road. I wonder how much that would set me back for a setup like yours RK.

Also, master cylinder size. Pommes has 18mm I believe. WHat is yours RK? Can you adjust the bite point on those Frando master cylinders?

I tried out a Monster 800 and a Kawasaki ER6N Ninja today over Gueishan. The monster definitely has too much power for me, the Kwak maybe just a bit too much. I don’t know how much they have and it was only fifteen mins on each bike, but definitely I would like to have a 50% power hike on the CPI.

I feel like taking a trip down to Hsinchu to visit Michael and Wei Lun Racing to see what they have in stock and what’s in the pipeline. Im going to keep the CPI I think and try to mod the looks on the cheap.

I really want to get the brake light modified so that it flashes on half of the LEDs for indicating and I can remove the orange flashers. I wonder, how difficult would it be to sort the electronics out to do that? Last time I tried to have it done, put a strip of orange LEDs inside the case and you couldn’t see them, plus the resistance was wrong so it flashed too fast. Someone must know how to do it properly, this is TAiwan!

I cut hole on the top of air box and definitely feel there are few more horses at middle range, plus sound is different

hi, got pix of that?

@J;
-number plate will be brought asa I can get my bike! Hopefully before wednesday… (-RK?)
-No manually adjusting of the pressure point on my Frando…
-Whenever you go to Hsinchu, let me know, that#s just over the hill and a nice road there as well!

it got slippery on the front when going left last ride… :smiley:

Here is a photo of my DIY stock airbox improvement, I just used box cutter to make a hole

And here is a photo of K761 tire in the back

I took the airbox front cover off a couple of years back and it made the bike a lot louder and I think it also gave the power delivery a flat spot. Since I cleaned the carb up, the flat spot seems to have disappeared (!).

I’ve found a pimp looking rear LED light with the number plate hanger directly below the light, and the angle is adjustable. I’ve taken my back light off so I can take it down to compare the plug. If the connector is the same as mine (I don’t know how likely this is) I’m going to get it, then remove that god awful black plastic inner mudguard/number plate hanger thing once and for all.

I think twi CRF250 pipes mounted under the belly would look awesome, and finally let me screw the plate onto the back of the airbox. One of these days, I’ll put $10,000 aside and do it…

I saw a SYM T1 at metrowalk today with a HUGE “Hirzan Racing” disc on the front. It looked like it was 350mm, it was almost touching the rim.

Does CPI has ECU? Does it need to be reset after such mods as airbox mod?

Who knows? I doubt it’s that high tech.

Today I purchased a new small LED rear light and hinged number plate hanger. I removed the back mudguard and that awful plastic number plate hanger, removed a bit of the subframe and drilled some new holes to fit the light through. I’m bolting it directly on to that cross member at the end of the subframe rails, so maybe it will be about 30mm further forward than stock and I’ll be able to get it close to horizontal with the new adjustable hinge.

I’m going to bin the indicators for now, but I saw some little flat ones that look like bicycle reflectors. I gather you stick them onto the face of the number plate and bolt them through the existing slots. I might give some a try in a week or two.

Quick action throttles… any knowledge to share?

An ECU comes with EFI. CPI motos don’t have EFI.
CPI make a 300cc scooter with EFI and ECU, and CVT.

Can you believe it… flogging CPI 250s in Ole Blighty! The 250 meets Euro 3 spec with a carb!

I washed “the beast” and found another broken spoke, the first one to break on the non-drive side. I wonder if it would be worth ordering a load of stainless steel ones from the internet and changing them all over.
Took a quick spin after work today, she was pulling like a champ. I don’t know why, but the carburation is definitely smoother since I rinsed the carb with WD-40.

I think we should have a group rideout in the next couple of weeks. Who’s keen? Is Saturday or Sunday preferable for you chaps who work weekends?

I am loving the colour scheme n the new kTM 690 SMC-R.
I wonder how much it would cost for a full set of new plastics for the CPI. Mine are faded to fuck, on the right hand side and on top of the mudguards is barely orange any more. All black with an orange front mudguard would be “pretty rude”

[quote=“jaame”]I washed “the beast” and found another broken spoke, the first one to break on the non-drive side. I wonder if it would be worth ordering a load of stainless steel ones from the internet and changing them all over.
Took a quick spin after work today, she was pulling like a champ. I don’t know why, but the carburation is definitely smoother since I rinsed the carb with WD-40.

I think we should have a group rideout in the next couple of weeks. Who’s keen? Is Saturday or Sunday preferable for you chaps who work weekends?[/quote]

I’m totally keen. Lets wait until Pommes King has his CPI back. It is still over at CSRT waiting on a few parts. I’m ready though. Sunday might be a better day, but Saturday is ok if I am not going to the track to practice. My NSR finally after 6 months is fixed, so I am keen to practice out at TIS.

You know 2 weeks ago I went out to watch some races and there was a CPI racing team out there. They were all teammates and raced their CPI’s in the CPI class. It was awesome, and a few of them were pretty good. I also befriended one of them, and on his FB page are tons of pictures of him and his friends off road racing, jumping 10 feet in the air on their CPI’s. Very cool. A few of the guys also do stunt, something which I am very interested in getting involved in. Anyway, it would be cool to check out their club in Taipei sometime…or better yet!

[quote=“jaame”]I am loving the colour scheme n the new kTM 690 SMC-R.
I wonder how much it would cost for a full set of new plastics for the CPI.[/quote]

I actually bought new plastics over a year ago. There are 12 pieces, and I think they were about 6,000nt. I can’t remember, but they could have even been cheaper. I will try to find out exactly how much we paid for them. I will ask my club!

My buddy just got custom made stickers (replacing fully old one) looks really good, can show you a photo, I could ask the price, I remember it was below 1000 he told me

Saterday TIS, Sundaymorning mountainroads sounds like a plan… IF the rusty bitch is rideable. :cactus: