CPI SM250 & related banter

I wonder if your turd will be ready! TIS sounds good, but no mountain roads for me after that. I am usually done after a few TIS sessions. I will be practicing with my NSR if the weather is nice!

And Jaame! New farrings for the CPI are 5K! That is what I paid. I have a friend who has a sticker business that does carbon fiber stickering. Im going to have my CPI done soon. It is pretty expensive though. About 4K for all 12 farrings. Oh well it will be cool though!

So are we talking about this coming Sunday morning for a ride out? Pommes, is your badboy going to be ready by then? No mountain biking for me this weekend anyway, the rear shock on my pushbike shat itself on Sunday. It bottoms out at a mere push now, but hasnā€™t lost any air pressure. I think something must be fucked in the compression circuit. Monarch Plus: donā€™t get one.

Thanks for the info re: the plastics RK. 12 pieces is a lot isnā€™t it? Iā€™m struggling to count 12. Front mudguard, headlight surround, 2 tank panels, 2 side plates, back mudguard. Thatā€™s 7. What else do you get? Radiator shields? What else? Iā€™m quite keen on the idea of repainting the frame KTM orange in the front triangle. Iā€™d love to get real carbon mudguards. Hopefully your carbon stickers will look cool. Iā€™ve seen two cars with it done. One looked unreal, one looked shite. Hopefully yours is unreal!

Iā€™d love to see that team racing CPIs. I havenā€™t been to the track for over a year. I would definitely go if I knew there was going to be a CPI class race.

So yes this Sunday, Iā€™ll book the time off my family. Provisionally 9am at the Longtan 7-eleven/Hi-Life? (How does a Hi-Life stay in business with a 7-eleven next door? One has to wonderā€¦). YES!

[quote=ā€œjaameā€]So are we talking about this coming Sunday morning for a ride out? Pommes, is your badboy going to be ready by then? No mountain biking for me this weekend anyway, the rear shock on my pushbike shat itself on Sunday. It bottoms out at a mere push now, but hasnā€™t lost any air pressure. I think something must be fucked in the compression circuit. Monarch Plus: donā€™t get one.

Thanks for the info re: the plastics RK. 12 pieces is a lot isnā€™t it? Iā€™m struggling to count 12. Front mudguard, headlight surround, 2 tank panels, 2 side plates, back mudguard. Thatā€™s 7. What else do you get? Radiator shields? What else? Iā€™m quite keen on the idea of repainting the frame KTM orange in the front triangle. Iā€™d love to get real carbon mudguards. Hopefully your carbon stickers will look cool. Iā€™ve seen two cars with it done. One looked unreal, one looked shite. Hopefully yours is unreal!

Iā€™d love to see that team racing CPIs. I havenā€™t been to the track for over a year. I would definitely go if I knew there was going to be a CPI class race.

So yes this Sunday, Iā€™ll book the time off my family. Provisionally 9am at the Longtan 7-eleven/Hi-Life? (How does a Hi-Life stay in business with a 7-eleven next door? One has to wonderā€¦). YES![/quote]

I donā€™t know why I said 12 pieces, I think that was a mistype/brain fart. I think 7 is right! :slight_smile: Actually I havenā€™t put those extra sets one, they are still in the bag from over a year ago. I asked 2 places about the carbon stickers. One place quoted me 7K and the other 4K. I think I am going to go with the 4Kā€¦but that could be a bad idea!

I just called on Pommes Kingā€™s CPI and it doesnā€™t look like it will be ready by Sunday. I didnā€™t realize this, but he got the same titanium exhaust system as I have and that company doesnā€™t carry those in stock. Once you order one, they make it. So it takes a few weeks to finish.

Beast and I will be out at the track though, but I wonā€™t be running my CPI. I will be dialing in my NSR. I have upgraded some things on it and I havenā€™t ridden the track in about 6 months. I have a race coming May 6th, so I need some adjusting/practicing time. You are more than welcome to come out there and say hi though. But, yes I am totally down for a CPI run really soon. Maybe the following weekend will be better.

So Iā€™ll pencil it in for Sunday the 22nd, a rideout for the Jhongli CPI team (us).

I went to Johngli Motorbike today at lunchtime. Thy have a lot of pimp parts but I donā€™t think thereā€™s much for the CPI. One thing that really caught my eye was an RPM brake disc. An unashamed copy of the Braking Wave disc, it looks great. $2800 or $3300 for the Cygnus, I might ask if they have one that fits the CPI. I think the diameter is 300-330mm. I am going to take a trip down to Hsinchu one of these days to look at the Wei Lun shop. Not sure if they are even still doing anything for the CPI any more (any idea Tafcoml?). Iā€™ve been pouring over Ruten of late and there isnā€™t anything on there from Wei Lun. There was quite a bit before. Dogma told me a couple of years ago that Michael the laoban had kind of given up on producing hot-up parts for the CPI because they didnā€™t sell half as many as he thought they would. If only the new head which liberated 33bhp at the wheel, and the ally beam frame, saw the light of day.

I did find one ad which had a few pics of different things, like anodised water pump covers and a cool looking hy-mech clutch assembly. Thatā€™s something else I want to try out. Really I could do with hitting the track (not the track itself, but the car park) on race day to see what other people have done with their CPIs. I have yet to see one with twin under belly silencers, thatā€™s what I really want.

tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/d61232011

Scroll to the bottom, click on the side-on photo. How good does that look? Under belly exhaust, ally subframe. Sick as!

Hey guys, I just bought a new to me 08 SM250. On the ride home it pops out of 1st and 2nd gears. Pops out then back in causing it to lurch would be a better description. Iā€™ve searched this thread and it seems to be a lot of catastrophic gearbox failures but none with my issue of popping in and out of gear.

So my questions areā€¦
Who in the Taichung area can I take it to get fixed?

How much should it cost?

Anyone ride in the Taichung or Dajia area?

Thanks

[quote=ā€œjaameā€]http://tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/d61232011

Scroll to the bottom, click on the side-on photo. How good does that look? Under belly exhaust, ally subframe. Sick as![/quote]

An example of more money in mods than in the bikeā€™s purchase price. Exhibit 1 in ā€œmod acquisition syndromeā€, aka ā€œsilk purse design fabricated with sowā€™s earā€.

I think it would take about $70,000 in mods to make my bike look like I want it to. I doubt Iā€™ll ever do it, but it would increase the total spend to about $180,000. Sounds far too much but to get even a five year old Husky or similar with unknown and questionable history is about $320,000. Iā€™d never spend that on a used bike here.

Still the one in that photo certainly looks like you describe, a bit of a mutant. Looks like they could have done a lot of it themselves though, itā€™s no that clean looking, the engineering I mean.

RE: The gearbox. When my bike had less than 1000km on it, it used to jump out of 5th and 6th a bit. Now the only thing it does is allows me to access neutral from 1st or 2nd. Never jumps out of gear though now. Itā€™s a MK2, May 2009. 3 years old on Monday actually. Maybe Iā€™ll treat her to an oil changeā€¦ or maybe not.

I donā€™t know who could fix it though. My cam chain is extremely noisy and rattly at about 3000rpm, the worst one Iā€™ve ever heard. I took it to the official dealer in Taoyuan city and they simply changed the external adjuster hook thingy. It made it a little bit quieter for about half of the ride home. They lack the desire, and in my opinion the skills, to actually strip it down, find the fault and fix it.

The CPI dealer in Hsinchu is actually willing and able to do engine work I believe. Alternatively you could try a race shop, like CSRT in Yingge. Or take it back to the factory yourself, thatā€™s in Dali.

Jaame, by the ā€œshop in Hsinchuā€ do you mean the one down the street from the TRA station?

CPI changed the graphics for 2012ā€¦ but are there any substantive changes from the 2008 model, other that better wheel bearing seals?
I used to hold out hope that CPI would move their EFI 300cc thumper (in their scooter) into the 250 SM/SX frame ā€¦ I donā€™t think it will happen since theyā€™ve met Euro 3 standards with that strange scrub-catcher on the bottom of the frame downtube.

CPI has a major advantage over the farmerā€™s bikes for tall ridersā€¦ enduro seating, no knee and back pain. Butt pain, but an AirHawk cushion will fix that.

Afraid I havenā€™t been down to Michael in a while. Perhaps drop him an email (wlmotor@kimo.com) or give him a call (03-5259377 / 091-124-2825)? Let us know what heā€™s been up to :slight_smile:

Does anyone know a name of a dealer of CPI in Taichung? Iā€™m having no luck with Google.

I did see on Ruten Ji-wheeler industry But there is no number or address listed in their ads.

I infer your spoken Mandarin is lacking, so resort to reverse Chinglish. Call CPI HQ in Dali at (04)2491-0710 and keep saying ā€œYÄ«ngyĒ”ā€ until someone comes on in Chinglish. Then say, ā€œTaichung, CPI dealer, whereā€.

I found a dealer in Taichung who has some left over 2011 for 109,000nt and 2012 going for 123,000NT.

I returned the 2008 due to the gearbox issues. I learned that there was a change sometime in 2009 in the gearboxā€™s.

So, how are these newer gearboxā€™s holding up. Anyone with a 2009 or newer having major issues with their gearbox?

Would you trust a ā€œrepairedā€ 2008 gearbox?

Is there any difference between the 2011 and 2012 SM 250?

Thanks for the number to the factory!

[quote=ā€œdwgcooksā€]
Qā€™s[/quote]

I have a 2010 and thereā€™s a gap between 5 and 6 that I pay attention to. Apart from that, the neutral light is on quite often, in gear or not.
Even if you buy a new one and the quality would be ok - itā€™s still a underpowered bike that requires lots of (not too expensive) mods to give it decent power. If it was me, Iā€™ld look for a second hand DRZ. Or, you buy my decently modded CPI and I look for a DRZ myself. :smiley:

I wish I could get a DRZ. I use to race one back in the states.

A couple of issues are for meā€¦License, I donā€™t have the big bike license and whoa look at those prices! I could buy a stock DRZ and a full race supermoto for the prices they want.

I know if I look for a modded CPI the first thing to go are the forks. My goodness are they a sponge!

Most submarines donā€™t dive as well as these forks do under braking.

Ok back to the CPI is it safe to just avoid anything older than 2009?

[quote=ā€œdwgcooksā€]

Ok back to the CPI is it safe to just avoid anything older than 2009?[/quote]

I have a first gen 2007 with about 20,000 kilometers on the engine. I havenā€™t any engine, tranny or gear problems yet (knock on wood.)

Mine is pretty modded out, but the engine is all stock, except for the bigger aftermarket carb. I donā€™t ride mine that often, but when I do, I thump it pretty hard. Mine has held up! Who knows for how long!! :smiley:

unless you have a hangover and almost no sleep - yet enough to get a speeding ticket! :smiley:

DWGCOOKS! There is a post with photos about it some way back - have a trawl backwards through the thread if youā€™re interested. We kind of accepted that the original first gen bikes had the gearbox problems. They have a large CPI logo in a black circle on the clutch basket. The newer ā€œmk2ā€ bikes have a small, feint grey CPI logo on the clutch basket. I have heard of a few of the 1st generation bikes having gearbox failures, and I have not heard of any of the second gen bikes having that problem. Not all bikes of the first run have had the problem though. As RK points out, his bike is first gen with a lot of KMs and it is still going strong. The other bikes I heard of jammed before 10,000km. I know RK hammers the shit out of it too.

If it were me, Iā€™d simply get a new one. $120,000 isnā€™t a lot of money if youā€™re on a halfway decent salary and/or single, and you get the peace of mind that comes with knowing where itā€™s been. That peace of mind is worth $50k if you ask me. Hell, I bought mine when I was supporting myself, my wife and a kid and earning about $80k a month. I havenā€™t regretted it once. The things I love about the CPI are that itā€™s cheap, it handles like a pushbike so you can really mess around on it and act the fool, and also it is safer than a bike with 100+ hp. 19 horse at the wheel sounds shit, and it is, so youā€™re not going to kill yourself so easily on it (unless the gearbox eats itself).

You chaps who already have one, my bike had a problem today. I tried to turn the wheel to back it out of a space and I couldnā€™t turn the bars left. What had happened was the anti-tamper bolts that hold the lock barrel under the top yoke had loosened and one had fallen out. The lock barrel moved down, causing the steering lock to come on. Imagine if it had happened while I was ridingā€¦ doesnā€™t bear thinking about. Iā€™d advise you to check your bikes. I think the bolts must have simply shaken loose.

Any riding going on this weekend. Its fully pissing down as I type this. RK I know you said you favour Sundays, but Iā€™m really keen to ride down to Hsinchu and have a look at Michaelā€™s CPI shop before heading to the mountains. Any time this summer would be good, doesnā€™t have to be this month.

Pommes King, any news on your bike and/or that number plate?

Just remembered, I want to give a very strong positive report back of my Pirelli Sport Demon front tyre. I donā€™t have a lot of experience with tyres and Iā€™ve never been on the track. Iā€™ve also only tried the standard Maxxis tyres and this Pirelli. Anyway, for a novice like me, the new tyre is clearly better than the standard tyre. It feels a bit more stable on the throttle and also steers quickly. What I canā€™t explain is how much confidence it gives me to lay the bike over. Confidence I never had on the original tyre. I donā€™t know if it would be described as feedback or just grip, but really I feel much safer and more confident hitting corners faster and at a greater angle of lean and I havenā€™t changed anything else. I definitely recommend the tyre, at least for novice road riders like myself.

PIrelliā€™s entry level tires are good, and they go up from there to among the best. They probably have one of the top three tires in every category, enduro, MX, street, sports, sport-touring, dual-sport, etc. Stateside, among many riders, youā€™ll only see Maxxis (or a Cheng Shin) on dirt bikes (MX) where riders may chew up a tire in a single weekend. Selected for price, not performance.