Currently in taipei.. newbie.. no jobs?

[quote=“sean_samten1”]O.k. So I arrived in Taipei about a month back and thought it would be way easier to secure a job… I have sent out many resumes and had a few interviews but they all seem to be looking for people with experience. I don’t really have any except I have this week long temp job I am doing for an English camp now… I don’t know if that will count for anything… But also this agent Jenny Lai is telling me now I wont be able to find work in Taipei because there are many teachers and only people with experience are being hired now. Is this true? What do you all suggest. I appreciate the help…

P.s… I have an interview with h.e.s.s next week and they want a 60-120 min interview/demo… I am starting to think this maybe wasn’t such a good idea after all…[/quote]

Yeah, you’re right. It wasn’t a good idea. You probably should have done more research because even now you aren’t being realistic.

Your anecdote is one of many I’ve seen in the past 18 months. If you’re a newbie you probably won’t find a job in Taipei. Its too competitive.

Yes, the big chain schools will be your best bet. If you get that job at HESS, prepare for a lot of unpaid work and a huge load of stress. Feel free to take a look at my blog. I used to work at HESS and I hope you will find it useful.

kilikabeast.wordpress.com/

[quote=“KaiXi333”]

Yes, the big chain schools will be your best bet. If you get that job at HESS, prepare for a lot of unpaid work and a huge load of stress. Feel free to take a look at my blog. I used to work at HESS and I hope you will find it useful.

kilikabeast.wordpress.com/[/quote]

I have just read through this blog and watched some of your videos, you seem to have a lot anger and frustration here in Taiwan, you need to chill out a bit. To any newbie check it out and you will see the negatives of teaching in Taiwan, but also take it with a grain of salt, it’s no where near as bad as it made out to be on this blog.

[quote=“eggds”][quote=“KaiXi333”]

I have just read through this blog and watched some of your videos, you seem to have a lot anger and frustration here in Taiwan, you need to chill out a bit. To any newbie check it out and you will see the negatives of teaching in Taiwan, but also take it with a grain of salt, it’s no where near as bad as it made out to be on this blog.[/quote]

Thanks for your all-enlightening comment. Full of substance. You’ve really added to this discussion.

[quote=“KaiXi333”][quote=“eggds”][quote=“KaiXi333”]

I have just read through this blog and watched some of your videos, you seem to have a lot anger and frustration here in Taiwan, you need to chill out a bit. To any newbie check it out and you will see the negatives of teaching in Taiwan, but also take it with a grain of salt, it’s no where near as bad as it made out to be on this blog.[/quote]

Thanks for your all-enlightening comment. Full of substance. You’ve really added to this discussion.[/quote]

I thought the video was an accurate description of the current situation. I didn’t read any of the blog posts, though.

Very few, if any, people are going to be able to save any money coming here for only one year.They’re also unlikely to be able to travel very much, even around the island itself. A lot of old timers are a bit out of touch when giving advice.

SO how many hours of unpaid work is normal in one of these Taiwanese rip off contracts? one company recently told me that there would be a minimum of 15 hours grading/preparing for class plus during their holidays there would be unpaid hours… plus a long unpaid training… IS this normal or is there better options? So if you are getting paid like 580Nt at 20 ours its more like actually being paid like half that when it comes down to it…

[quote=“KaiXi333”][quote=“sean_samten1”]O.k. So I arrived in Taipei about a month back and thought it would be way easier to secure a job… I have sent out many resumes and had a few interviews but they all seem to be looking for people with experience. I don’t really have any except I have this week long temp job I am doing for an English camp now… I don’t know if that will count for anything… But also this agent Jenny Lai is telling me now I wont be able to find work in Taipei because there are many teachers and only people with experience are being hired now. Is this true? What do you all suggest. I appreciate the help…

P.s… I have an interview with h.e.s.s next week and they want a 60-120 min interview/demo… I am starting to think this maybe wasn’t such a good idea after all…[/quote]

Yeah, you’re right. It wasn’t a good idea. You probably should have done more research because even now you aren’t being realistic.

Your anecdote is one of many I’ve seen in the past 18 months. If you’re a newbie you probably won’t find a job in Taipei. Its too competitive.

dude that video called taiwan no place for a year off is funny as hell… Are you still in Taiwan?.. Yea I just went into hess for the interview… It sucks to have to suck up to people when you know that the offer is really pretty shitty!

Does anyone know about the joy school? There is a possible job in Yuanlin… but I think its in the boondocks…

sean I’m going to send you a PM.

You’ll find that there is rarely a clear answer to any question in Taiwan.

However, the main thing is the “unpaid hours” should not be a fixed part of the time you have to be in school. When I started here I probably spent around half of the time I actually taught doing preparation, but I did it on my own terms. I wasn’t forced to sit in the school 4 hours before teaching as part of my contract. The other problem with having to be in the school for office hours is that instead of allowing you to do preparation the boss will often give you other work as you are clearly at a loose end. There is often a belief among school owners, perpetuated by some foreign teachers, that teaching can be done with zero preparation.

Salary is always best, but of course few get this. Second best is paid by the teaching hour with no office hours. Schools that pay by the hour with office hours included are generally shit.

EDIT: I’m taking it as read that every teacher should prepare for lessons and this should be accepted as an integral part of the job.

this really sucks… I have been here six weeks and still no job… well wait someone offered me 2 hours a week… I did have an offer from hess but then many people told me not to work there… so I decided that the stress wouldnt be good for me there probably…

I have not been hitting the streets so to speak… but I have been in a few schools…

I have sent out tons of resumes and only received a few responses. Is that normal? I assume its because they are getting people with more experience. But maybe I should pester them all a little bit.

thanks What do you guys think?

[quote=“sean_samten1”]this really sucks… I have been here six weeks and still no job… well wait someone offered me 2 hours a week… I did have an offer from hess but then many people told me not to work there… so I decided that the stress wouldnt be good for me there probably…

I have not been hitting the streets so to speak… but I have been in a few schools…

I have sent out tons of resumes and only received a few responses. Is that normal? I assume its because they are getting people with more experience. But maybe I should pester them all a little bit.

thanks What do you guys think?[/quote]

Part of it may be the time of year too. Many of the smaller places are have been winding things down for CNY. The smaller places don’t always have the best management, so they don’t plan ahead. They won’t hire a teacher, and then try to start a new class, but instead, fill up a class, and then freak out when they don’t have a teacher.

Personally, I would have taken the Hess gig just to get an ARC and a start (and something to slap on a resume). You could have always changed jobs after getting settled and some extra cash in your pocket.

If you really don’t want to go the chain school route, just stay and check out Taiwan during CNY, hit up some schools right after (Feb. 18). If you don’t have any solid leads after a week, then it’s time to make the hard choice, imo.

I’m trying to find p/t work as an English teacher too, I live in Nantou City but willing to go elsewhere. I would love to live in the Taipei area especially. I’m also an artist, but I want to get an ARC to stay in Taiwan. If anyone knows of positions, can you email me at bangor71@yahoo.com. Thank you!

-Josh
joshualance.com

my advice:

1. have TEFL (crappy online one is fine)
  2. Email and then visit schools to follow up…then phone them. If you just email they dont get back to you.
  3. Come at CNY (lot of job contracts end at CNY and people leave as they also get bonus at CNY) OR in the summer.

If you dont get out there and visit the schools/buxibans in person then you wont have much luck imo.

ok, thanks! What’s CNY?

Chinese New Year.

Also dont visit these forums too much - the negativity will get you down haha.

Thanks, when you said come CNY, does that mean come to schools during the CNY or after? I know timing is everything and I want to make a great first impression. Thanks!

[quote=“FarFlungScot”]my advice:

1. have TEFL (crappy online one is fine)
  2. Email and then visit schools to follow up…then phone them. If you just email they dont get back to you.
  3. Come at CNY (lot of job contracts end at CNY and people leave as they also get bonus at CNY) OR in the summer.

If you dont get out there and visit the schools/buxibans in person then you wont have much luck imo.[/quote]

well this could be the reason ive put out tons of resumes and received very few return responses… So I will have to call them after and hassle them… some things are learned only through experience…

Chinese New Year (CNY) is one week long. Government businesses and most other non-service sector businesses are shut down for that week. Public schools and the majority of private schools are closed for a month (Winter Break)…3 weeks before and the week of CNY. Buxibans are closed during CNY, but are open the three weeks before.

You wont really be able to go to any schools during the CNY week because they are all closed. (Which is next week…starting this weekend)
After CNY everything will be back up and running as normal again.

2013 CNY and Winter break.

January 28 to February 8 = Winter Break = All public schools and most private schools are shut down for vacation. Buxibans (cram schools) are open for business as usual.
February 9 to February 17 = Chinese New Year (CNY) = Pretty much everything is closed. All schools remain closed and all buxibans are closed.
February 18 = Everything is back to normal again

Looking at a job… in taouyan… for 8 -10 hour part time they want you in the school 20 hrs a week, for 18 hours of paid work they want you in the school 40 hours a week…

Does anyone else find that very funny…?

[quote=“sean_samten1”]Looking at a job… in taouyan… for 8 -10 hour part time they want you in the school 20 hrs a week, for 18 hours of paid work they want you in the school 40 hours a week…

Does anyone else find that very funny…?[/quote]
It’s funny because somebody will probably accept it…

[quote=“funkymonkey”][quote=“sean_samten1”]Looking at a job… in taouyan… for 8 -10 hour part time they want you in the school 20 hrs a week, for 18 hours of paid work they want you in the school 40 hours a week…

Does anyone else find that very funny…?[/quote]
It’s funny because somebody will probably accept it…[/quote]

Your senses of humor sicken me.