Death of baby of undocumented migrant workers

We don’t know if that’s true. Many run away simply because they’re gonna get fired and they have to go back. I know more than one such person myself. They did get pardoned, married a Taiwanese eventually but that’s besides the point.

2 Likes

My problem is not with the kids but the parents. What are you gonna do? Deport the parent and keep the kid? How’s that gonna work? What if the parent stays illegally and found later in life? Say in their 70s and needs the now Taiwanese kids to take care of them. There’s no clean solution here and I would rather we protect citizens and law abiding immigrants over foreign criminals.

There should at least be quite a few hard constraints on giving out citizenship, maybe parents must of PR or have stayed in Taiwan more than 3 years something like that.

1 Like

Not what you wrote though. Your feelings about the law are not what the law is. You wrote it was not possible not that you don’t like the law that allows naturalization of children along with a parent.

Some foreign parents one parent has naturalized and the children got citizenship. Some will resume and some will get PR at least of the other parents home country. Yes it would be nice if citizenship was granted when a parent as APRC but Taiwan like many other countries does not have birthright citizenship. Recently posted an article from sky news about a UK born woman who is going to be deported to Portugal because she never claimed PR or citizenship and missed extended deadlines to do so. IT’s not like people were not made aware during Brexit that non UK citizens had to apply for Permanent Leave to Remain or naturalize.

Basically yes.

Guy

2 Likes

There’s already huge constraints on citizenship .

We ALL know the Taiwan govt won’t be handing out citizenship to anybody like confetti.

The concerns expressed above are frankly nonsensical especially for a country that desperately needs immigrants, has world record low birth rates , extremely low permanent immigration levels and is failing badly at dealing with this human rights issue.

First things first the care of the kids in question must be addressed, if that does mean some leniency towards their parents so what ? Give them a process to work through.

1 Like

First things first, you deserve immediate Taiwanese citizenship without any requirement to renounce your citizenship. You have contributed mightily to Taiwan for many years, and there is no reason why you should take a backseat to anybody who committed illegal acts.

2 Likes

He doesn’t have a direct stake, but you could still interpret as a personal stake. Doesn’t directly need to be about runaways, but better respect for labour PIs from the authorities.

One thing seems unclear, or perhaps I missed it? They know these are the children of illegals, but WHERE ARE THE PARENTS OF THESE KIDS NOW?

In lockup awaiting deportation, already deported or still working illegally?

In the case of the baby who died, the mother was reportedly in jail.

Guy

Thx. So, the plan was to take the kid, put it up for adoption and deport her?

As far as I could tell, yes.

Guy

1 Like

Maybe @Brianjones should ask @fifieldt. He will know the process on getting this done.

Is having children with a Taiwanese partner considered a “contribution?”

Been there, done that and didn’t get any special treatment…

I’m also a deserving soul who cleansed myself with renunciation.

No country does that. You have to apply for it.

Also I got my Australian citizenship back within 20 calendar days after renunciation was approved. @Marco can vouch for me as he has seen the paperwork including the renunciation and the approval of resumption. It is a similar process for Irish. It’s not a perfect process, but you can do it. - In fact… it approved within 8 calendar days of them receiving my application!

How so? If you follow the procedure there really is no problem and no constraint at all. The only constraint is on people not wanting to renounce.

I did not want to renounce but it is what it is.

I thought it was good for the soul!

3 Likes

Yes definitely good for the soul.
You are soon to find out yes?

Actually it’s much better when you know you cannot resume. Not for the spineless whiners. Being stateless for many months was an adventure also.

It cleanses the mind.

1 Like

According to NIA, it is all taken care of, except bosses punish legal workers when they become pregnant…and push them into illegal work and running away. You cannot expect people with thousands of US dollars worth of debt to intermediaries to stop working. Yes, no matter how they got pregnant, voluntarily or otherwise.

So basically, this is a case of producing a problem through legislation…then adding legislation that supposedly battles the sympi. Again, if workers did not have to pay snake heads fees to intermediaries brokerage firms and if pregnant workers were really protected by law and had services available in that situation, we wouldn’t be in this pickle. “Oh but they will abuse the system, have children here because it is free!” Well, if they pay into NHI and have access to medical care, it is not free. And maybe some part of the money that now goes into intermediaries pockets could be used for contingencies. Just a thought.

Some articles on the issue for your perusal:

7 Likes

The vast majority I have known and currently know are properly abused and mistreated. It’s pretty gross.

I wonder though. Children born here to illegals, how could they have a path here with legally entering taiwan? Is there a path?

You’ll soon find out…