Death of baby of undocumented migrant workers

Yesterday I got myself a nice salad with some fresh balsamic vinegar.
Sooooo gooodddd.

Now what was the topic again …ah yes you said it was 'up my.own arse ain’t got a sense of humour except for what ChatGPT could recommend me ’ was it so we can just list irrelevant nonsense about koalas in Australia or sumfing…

Excuse me let me get back to my mocha latte and wait till I tell everybody what I did last Tuesday while we are sharing here. It’s sooo good to be me.

2 Likes

This article was pretty shocking I don’t know if conditions have improved since then ?

1 Like

Yes the sort of unreflective boasting that is going on in the context of the topic of this thread . . . it’s not very becoming, is it. :neutral_face:

Guy

One could say it sounds very *№$#ish in a thread about dead babies.

1 Like

From the Common Wealth article:

1 Like

I don’t think there’s any limit to which thread one finds an excuse to self congratulate. Who would’ve thought just living somewhere for a few years could be such an accomplishment.

1 Like

Sadly there is no reason to think so. The Ministry of Labor is only now getting around to issuing a guide for migrant worker pregnancies that could help set occupational and health safety standards for this situation. The Executive Yuan recently held a cross-agency meeting. The Ministry of Health and Welfare has been put in charge of these children (which is probably good). KMT Legislator Wang Yu-min is pressuring the Ministry of Labor to do something about the fact that domestic caregivers, who are famously not covered by the the Labor Standards Act, do not receive labor insurance benefits for childbirth. Will all this lead to improvement? Maybe.

In the meantime, you could consider donating to Harmony Home. They have cared for more than 800 migrant worker children.

They have been around for many years and I have not heard any negative reports.

5 Likes

If births are not documented (ie. Not in a hospital and/or without paperwork). Are people, be them children or adult, deported? If so, to where? Could one path be for kids with age just to claim taianese parents that abandoned them? Not ideal for many, but people late teens/adults might be a work around for citizenship.

Otherwise, what happens to kids with records of birth? I would assume, at least based on the ones I have known, they get sent away with their parents based on their parents’ passport. Seems hard for the government to prove with a DNA test. Do they do that?

1 Like

If they find the mother, the mother and the child will be deported.

If they can’t find the mother, the child will typically stay in Taiwan on an ARC and then theoretically at the age of 20. My understanding is that a number of people naturalize this way every year.

If the child was abandoned and the authorities do not know who the parents are, the child is stateless and naturalizes as a minor.

There are many permutations of these scenarios. For example, there the authorities may know who the mother is but she has gone underground in Taiwan. A more difficult situation is that they think they know who the mother is but she has left Taiwan and cannot be contacted (and may not want to be contacted because she is married back home).

Taiwan does not deport undocumented children alone back to other countries.

4 Likes

I assume the above is meant in a general or hypothetical sense. The particular child in question is deceased, and the mother is reportedly in jail.

From Central News Agency:

保母虐童致死案發3個月才延燒 關鍵時間點、各方說法一次看 | 社會 | 中央社 CNA

Google Translate’s translation of the above:

(Boldface added by me.)

–CNA, “The case of child abuse and death by a nanny only took 3 months to spread to the critical point in time. Take a look at the opinions of all parties.”

Perhaps the authorities, having completely botched this case, will deport the baby’s remains along with the mother.

Good job, Taiwan.

EDIT: Yes I am angry. I apologize if this offends anyone.

Guy

He was answering my questions about living children here being unidenfiable via paperwork, not about the dead baby article :wink: the post right above his :slight_smile:

The people being born here but not a citizen thing is a real problem. If no foreigner claims the baby officially, deportation should theoretically be impossible. Not that any mother or father should be forced to make such a decision in the first place. But…

1 Like

I apologize for my error, and advise everyone to disregard my erroneous post.

1 Like