Dehumidifiers and air purifiers

Thanks for the recall info! Crazy.

I just had the worst experience at a retail store in my life at the Tsann Kuen store on Zhongshan North Road Sec. 6. :fume: I’ve calmed down much now but I still can’t believe the service attitude here is so darn rude! Anyway, I know which one I want, now it’s just a matter of finding a good price with warranty! Mitsukoshi was priced $1500 more, but I was so tempted to buy it after the treatment I received at Tsann Kuen, but I’ll look around. But this clamminess is not comfy for sleeping. :frowning:

the guys in that particular store are :cactus: !! just curious, if your a/c was " a Taiwan model ", then you should be having the dehumidifier function. check the remo-con, you should have 4 options - auto, fan, a/c, dehumidifier.

[quote=“914”]Thanks for the recall info! Crazy.

I just had the worst experience at a retail store in my life at the Tsann Kuen store on Zhongshan North Road Sec. 6. :fume: I’ve calmed down much now but I still can’t believe the service attitude here is so darn rude! Anyway, I know which one I want, now it’s just a matter of finding a good price with warranty! Mitsukoshi was priced $1500 more, but I was so tempted to buy it after the treatment I received at Tsann Kuen, but I’ll look around. But this clamminess is not comfy for sleeping. :frowning:[/quote]

Try elifemall.com.tw/ Service is usually much better just because it is smaller. And I’ve noticed staff is also older, in average.

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“914”]Thanks for the recall info! Crazy.

I just had the worst experience at a retail store in my life at the Tsann Kuen store on Zhongshan North Road Sec. 6. :fume: I’ve calmed down much now but I still can’t believe the service attitude here is so darn rude! Anyway, I know which one I want, now it’s just a matter of finding a good price with warranty! Mitsukoshi was priced $1500 more, but I was so tempted to buy it after the treatment I received at Tsann Kuen, but I’ll look around. But this clamminess is not comfy for sleeping. :frowning:[/quote]

Try elifemall.com.tw/ Service is usually much better just because it is smaller. And I’ve noticed staff is also older, in average.[/quote]
Tsann Kuen has often been referred to as the “Yellow Ghost House”. If you don’t like their sales service, wait till you need their after service.

Why not check PCHome?
Dehumidifiers under 5000 Other price categories, as well as brands, are listed on the left.

I use PChome as a price reference. More often, I buy from Carrefour when the item is on sale.

To me, dehumidifier is nothing more than a low-efficiency A/C, that expels heat right back into the room. It can really run the electric bill up. While on this subject, I can never figure out why my wife likes to keep dehumidifier running whole day, WITH balcony door fully open.

Hell yeah, I hate Can Kun/Tsan Kuen with a passion. Pack of bastards. I never go there anymore.

Can’t imagine how Tzann Cuen stays afloat: bad service, bad products, serious debt from over expansion in China… Yet, they are sweping the competition against smaller stores as they can carge on credit card, while the others work mostly cash. Oh, well.sigh

Back on topic: has anyone cleaned one of these dehumidifier things? Mine has some kind of mold growing inside -not used in summer- and I was wondering whether I should tackle that myself or drag it all the way for service at ZhuenGuo Dientzu.

Found some basics on the net: clean/change the filter, clean the water tank, etc. but in my case the parts affected are what I woudl describe as round spinning wheels that expel the hot air -supposedly te fan, but in teh shape of those water wheels.

Is SOGO, Costco, or Carrerfour usually the cheapested place to buy a dehumidifer?

I have found B&Q to be the cheapest, or just the regular neighborhood places. But dehumidifiers have a history of catching on fire or melting so make sure to get a good brand. Better to pay a little extra to be safe.

Costco - Carrefour - SOGO in that ascending order

Check the lists of recalled items and do your homework as to safety specifications. As MM said, those things catch fire and two years ago a whole foreign family was lost to this kind of tragedy.

I sent mine, a Carrier US brand made in Taiwan, to be cleaned and fixed. It is still not going 100% and I could not trust one of these things, so I bought a smaller one with a hose adaptor -instead of putting the water in a tank, it goes through a hose to wherever you want. It is a Patito -who knows?- brand, but Made in Taiwan, supposedly under license of Hitachi/Japan. Bit over 5K. So far, so good. Bought on the shopping TV channel. Advantage: delivered to my door, no pushing/pulling/dragging involved.

My Kolin KJ801B dehumidifier overheated this morning, filling my apartment with acrid smoke. I quickly turned it off so no further damage was done, but I obviously won’t use it again.

If anyone is using this model of dehumidifier at home, you may want to consider retiring it for safety sake.

Note to mods: I suggest merging and moving the threads about dehumidifier safety and hazardous model numbers to the Open forum, since this is more of a public safety issue than a technology issue, and it would be good for as many posters to get this information as possible.

Hi, could someone please recommend a decent dehumidifier for a 20 ping apartment? I was over at 蝦皮拍賣and was a bit overwhelmed. It appears they don’t provide info regarding how many square meters the dehumidifiers are effective for.

I would ask you the following things:

1. Where in Taiwan are you located? North and Central/South have really different levels of humidity.

2. On which floor is your flat? Ground floor in Taipei is pretty brutal but higher up with more natural light can help dry things out.

3. What’s your budget? If money is no object, you could consider one of the models and brands made in Japan.

Guy

I’m in New Taipei City on the 8th of 12 floors in a brand new building. There is a lot of natural light, but I live right next to a river and also the extremely damp mountains here in TW. Will look into the models made in Japan. Thanks :slight_smile:

Got it. Thanks for the extra details.

Next to me right now in my flat is a Sharp dehumidifier (made in Japan). It has been running nearing continuously, without incident, for more a dozen years!

I have also had good experiences with various Panasonic models (cheaper, made offshore, but still quite decent) and a terrible experience with a Whirlpool model (cheaper, alledgedly good reputation at the time, not made in Japan)–the water gauge switch that was supposed to shut off the machine when full stopped working, flooding my room. Not good!

Guy

If money is no problem, get a Hitachi or Mitsubishi, 20k, at 全國電子 E-life mall (red sign stores) or any department store, Sogo or Mitsukoshi. Made in Japan. Only way to go.

I notice that Panasonic now is made in China, instead of Taiwan, so do check.

I’m thinking about buying a dehumidifier too. The question is, how to size it?
What features are the key ones?

Just get a 12L by Panasonic. I’ve got used two and they are great. But the volume means on wet days you dump daily. And skip Sampo (worst brand of everything ever).

2 Likes

Hey guys, winter is coming and I want to get the right dehumidifier for the occasion.

Not sure if any of these brands are still good or if some new ones came out with better features, if anyone has bought a dehumidifier recently do share. I’m considering purchasing a second-hand one myself.

Sharp is a decent brand to consider!