Did anyone write a manual on how to date a Taiwanese lady?

[color=#0000BF]Moderator note: I’ve reconstructed the OP’s deleted stuff as best I can. This includes the OP and further replies. Addendum: DO NOT DELETE your posts! It is a severe contravention of the rules and your ass WILL be held accountable.[/color]

I have a bunch of questions, most of which I am not going to bring to this forum

I was going to ask where he’s at because maybe someone on here might be able to recommend a nice establishment.

But for now I’ll just guess that they’re in Genovia.
Do Taiwanese women normally live with their parents or family members until they get married or is it common and normal, like most western women, for them to get their own apartment and move out right after university?

Thanks all, those were some pretty entertaining as well as a few informative answers. Let me answer a couple of questions before I ask my next one:

1)[[PHOTO OF KITTY WITH BIG EYES] That’s very good, how did you know that’s what she looks like, except her hair is black. I tell you, when I visualize her in my mind, its the eyes I see first, almond shaped, dark, a little sad, very deep, very compelling.

1. “Is it one of those secret countries that only rich people know about?”. Answer: I think it used to be.

OK, my next question. Do Taiwanese women normally live with their parents or family members until they get married or is it common and normal, like most western women, for them to get their own apartment and move out right after university? From earlier experiences, I know alot of asians, both men and women, are not comfortable living by themselves, they like to be around family or very close friends. Not all of course, but I find it interesting she lives so far from home herself. In some cultures I have been exposed to, the locals would say maybe something is not quite right with her, whereas we would not think anything of it all. Comments?

What I have seen with is that the oldest daughter tends to be a little more mature, but, is often over indulged by the parents, becomes “spoiled” and demanding, she can be bossy and expects her siblings - later her spouse - to listen to her harangues without question. Not always of course, but I have seen that elsewhere. The next oldest female sibling tends to be a little resentful of having missed out on Eldest Daughter’s status, but the younger ones learn early on to simply go with the flow.

1. sending flowers: when should you, when shouldn’t you, send them to her office or have them dropped off at home? Roses, red, yellow, or some other flower, and is there some flower or color you should really, really avoid.

Adjunct question: can anyone give me a Pinyin translation of " from your not so secret admirer"

1. What do I feed her for dinner?

“Is she a pet?” No. However, the thought has crossed my mind that I might be…

learned a lesson today: kitty has teeth and claws. It wasn’t me that was being disemboweled, it was one of her company’s vendors. She told me about it later on, what the dumb so and so did, about how mad she got, what she said and did. Went on for quite awhile about it. My initial reaction was wow, she trusts me enough now to let me see her angry. Then I thought, maybe this is her way of warning me, don’t even think about double crossing the kitty Mr. Big Nose.

Don’t give white flowers, hankerchiefs or clocks on birthdays, that’s good. Have no idea if that’s true, but it sounds like it ought to be.

nd by the way, what was the epilogue to this story? Did your expat friend fear for his life and get out of Dodge and thank the Gods he got out just in time, or did he and his “lovely lass” rediscover the passion they had and get back together again?

Yes, but you know what is really, really strange? Instead of feeling bad, I feel like I am coming off a long period of sedation. Oh, sure, that evening called for the ritual purification rite of unrequited love, an anointing of the wounded soul with one scotch, one bourbon, and one beer, but I am talking about something else entirely.

It seemed at the time, as soon as I heard the words “my boyfriend”, there was something like the snap of an electric discharge, a faint smell of ozone. Ladies and Gentlemen, Western and Asian, by trade I am a very technical, no BS, pipes and engines and three phase motors and computers kind of guy, I do not believe in spooks or fairies, pots of gold at the end of the rainbow; but I know what I saw and felt and there is little doubt in my mind that was the breaking of a magic spell. That enchanting lady with a smile that will melt the heart, eyes that bewitch and en-trance, were in fact, actually bewitching and entrancing me. For what purpose I know not. I don’t think she actually intended to tell me, it was an unguarded moment, I threw her a curve ball, the words slipped out, and next thing I know I feel 22.7 kilos lighter (that’s 50 pounds for you American English teachers) and like a fog is dissolving before my eyes and I see more clearly. Am not sure, she sounded a bit like she regretted it. Whether she regretted it because she considered me an interesting option or because like a cat who was stalking a poor defenseless little bird and the bird escaped, I am not sure.

Every day I feel better, stronger, more in command of myself. My God, what in the name of the ancient Gods of the Picts HAPPENED? I read some of the posts in these forums, and Mother Mary (I am rather democratic about religous preferences) there are many Big Noses who fall under the spell of a beautiful Taiwanese and get severely injured in the process.

Now, what to do about her?

You know, she scares me. I don’t think I have ever met anyone that could have played me like a cello (to which I compare physically better than say a violin) . I can’t decide if I just escaped with my life or, if the most wonderful person I have ever met is passing by and going out with the tide and out of my life.

I am going to stay in touch with her from time to time, see what happens, easy to be just friends now, but, with great caution. I think maybe the effective range of the spell she casts is about 322 Km (that’s about 200 miles to you American English teachers) miles, and that is as close as I am going in until I can figure this one out.

(Why do I get this feeling like I’m Charlie Brown and Lucy is telling me, please please go kick the football just ONE MORE TIME…)

There is alot I am not telling. But I will tell you a few things. First, with apologies to all of you American English Teachers that I mentioned in my last post, I started out in university life as an English Major. My financial backers said I needed to do something more practical, something in the sciences, say something that ends in an -ology, so I switched to social science and graduated with a degree in sociology. Surprisingly, I got quite a bit of mileage out of that, and over the next ten years had my share of lager from Glasgow to Vancouver to Mexico to the Exumas to Nairobi to Berlin. Had a few Rolling Rocks in New Jersey too as well as alot swill mislabeled as beer from New York to Key West to LAX. (You travel enough, you start calling cities by their IATA abbreviations)

While I got alot of mileage and beer out my sociology degree, it wasn’t paying for the lifestyle to which I desired to become accustomed to. So, I packed up my duffel in Frankfurt, boarded a Pan Am flight (showing my age am I) home and got a second degree in engineering. Went to work in a cubicle, and bought into the whole catastrophe of settled life. Well, it wasn’t a total catastrophe. The mid 1990s recession came, the company I was working for wanted to expand into new markets, I was the only one with a passport and had been overseas, and I sold them on the idea of letting me spearhead a drive to get foreign business. I knew nothing about how to actually accomplish this, but, eventually made some connections and got some business. I spent a ton of the major shareholders’ money in Central America, Venezuela, and Columbia, mostly learning how to drink Johnny Walker in the early afternoon with alot of South Americans and completely fail to sell them anything.

A few years later, company goes broke, I open my own shop, picked up some offshore clients (took the ones I had, actually) and here I am. There have been good times, bad times, and omnipresent high stress times. There are days, friends, that I wish was I was an American English teacher in Taiwan.

OK, Back to the Topic At Hand:

Tommy, you might be right, I don’t think she is real tight with her “boyfriend”, I know they don’t live together, he seems to be a local guy, and well, its the islands, nothing is serious down there… . and that might include her, but I do know she is exceptional, I can say with some authority she is one of those flowers you know you might only come across once in a decade.

So you think I oughta chase her a little? Y’know, I have been down this road before many many times, it don’t usually work, if this were poker, it’d be like trying to draw to an inside straight. Possible? Sure. Likely, no. Still, the win would be awesome, more than anything in the world to me, and, not much to lose. OK, maybe I’ll bite, but I am wearing my tin foil hat, garlic necklace and carry a crucifix before me. That ain’t no ordinary puss, she’s got powers.

Let me think on it some. (I’m coming Lucy, hold her steady!)

You can buy Jack Sparrow-ish paraphernalia in all the local gift shops.

Also interesting. She once told me rather directly that she was " a very bad girl". Had some trouble figuring out what that meant, I know what it means to me, not sure what it means to her. I wanted to ask her, well how bad are you, but I bit my tongue and clutched the arms of the chair I was sitting in even as my blood pressure rocketed upwards.

would be considered very independent here. Its one of the things I like about her. She is on the cusp of 30. What happens after 30 to the women from Taiwan? You know here the biological clock starts ticking louder and louder for our women, and all of us being homo sapiens, I assume this is the same there?

Exactly, that’s what I am scared of, hence the tin foil, garlic strands and crucifix. But whats a BBD? Is it something I have to have? Does it need to be a certain size? When do I show her my BBD? Or is a BBD likened more unto some kind of watershed event? Inquiring minds want to know.

Meeting her I think will go down in my memoirs as a watershed event, nothing has looked the same since, and since then life has been generating all sorts of strange and equally unexpected possibilities, the timing of which seems inexplicable.

I’m sure you could find a nice Chinese/Cantonese/ Taiwanese restaurant if you looked hard enough and she really is that homesick. Get you some real brownie points, mate. Don’t tell her where you’re going. Surprise her.

If such a manual existed, it would be more aptly named: How to get along with a Taiwanese woman’s parents… seriously!

Just to warn you in advance, your bright, independent and professional lady friend will probably revert back to child like state in the company of her parents, just my personal experience. However, if you can be patient and have what it takes to one day face her parents, then it will all be worth it.

Regarding meals ~ we eat about:

• 40% night market Chinese fast food (dumplings, noodles, pan stickers etc.)
  • 20% her mom’s cooking (we’ve fought her mom for about 4 years to get it down from 100%)!
  • 20% at regular priced restaurants (which in Taiwan are cheap anyway)
  • 20% at the more expensive places (which aren’t really all that pricey anyway).

Oh dear. She is playing at being an adult, but betraying signs of childishness. Just take your heart out and smash it on a rock. It’ll be quicker in the long run.

If you think this:

when you see her, then please be aware it is a natural attack strategy used by Taiwanese women. She is saying, ‘come here to me, I want your nuts in my trophy cabinet.’

First welcome to Forumosa. And please dont be one of the regular posters out for a bit of fun in disguise??

We do try to help here you know?

Taiwanese women. They are masters at getting your heart ! They know when they got you. Actually , they are not really that different from other women. They are perhaps more feminine, but perhaps even more dominating then American women. In a very roundabout way though. They dont do frontal attacks like western women. They prefer to do their black magic on you in subtle ways. Its all sweet in the beginning but she is looking for ways to control you and learning your weak points.

TomHill isnt far wrong when he said, you may as well take your heart out and smash it (before she does) because very soon it will be in her hands. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

The thing to do is treat her with kindness and respect (much like you would any other woman) and be aware that they may be less mature then someone else of the same age from your own culture. In fact, its probably a given that they are not. And yes be aware that they do listen to their parents and you may get dumped later on down the road if her parents dis-approve strongly.

Oh, the fact that they dont mind going out with older men is very endearing to us (older men). And they do know how to look at you first to get your attention, then to keep your attention.

Taiwanese women are wily, cunning foxes !! But thats going to be one of the reasons you gonna love em.

There are those who say they are completely the same as any other woman. Then there are those that say they are completely different. They are probably both.

Both exactly the same at times and at other times completely different.

One thing, they do pretty much know how to manipulate your feelings though. And if she wants you, she will get you , no question. She will make you desire her.

Good luck to you !! YOu WILL need it :slight_smile:

Its ok, you can buy valium in stock now.

p.s. Just go for it !! It sounds like you are in for a real adventure. The time of your life perhaps from the sound of it.

I don’t understand. Please give more clues. Are you talking about the human anatomy?

Anyway, foolish man…never put any woman on a pedestal.

ha

Well to the OP, I guess you’ve found the right place to ask your questions. Sounds like you’ve found a nice lady there. I don’t have a lot of advice about finding a restaurant she might like, but as you might have read – food is a big deal to the Taiwanese. I couldn’t imagine the deep pangs of want they must go through while living overseas.

I’d have to agree w/ jimipresley, though, find a good restaurant (maybe ask another Taiwanese in the area?) and surprise her.

Is it one of those secret countries that only rich people know about?

:laughing:

I was going to ask where he’s at because maybe someone on here might be able to recommend a nice establishment.

But for now I’ll just guess that they’re in Genovia.

ah, go on. We’re all ears.

btw, I’d ditch the “sailing my ship into a new port” thing. It’s more like taking it way out of port and sailing it off the coast of Somalia. I wish you luck. Enjoy the ride.

[quote=“tommy525”]First welcome to Forumosa. And please dont be one of the regular posters out for a bit of fun in disguise??
[/quote]
Well, sometimes regular posters use Segundo(second) Cliente(account)s so they can ask sensitive, but genuine questions

N1848N -
Whats all this?
Treat her like a woman. With respect. Maintain your own self-respect.

What was it Chris Elliott said? “Yank her, crank her, but don’t stay around to thank her.”

Hey Doc , You married??? If so it didnt work then huh??? YOU THANKED HER> and now you got you ball and chain/??? :roflmao: :roflmao:

Im waiting for the right woman to chain me up but they keep running off tho?? :smiley:

edit

They live with their parents until they are married. Usually even after they are married. Marry them, marry their parents. The reason she doesn’t live with her parents is the allure of MONEY: The only thing Taiwanese are married to more than their parents.

[quote]I was going to ask where he’s at because maybe someone on here might be able to recommend a nice establishment.

But for now I’ll just guess that they’re in Genovia.[/quote]

Your location would be helpful for recommendations.

They live with their parents as long as possible, but know alot about hotels.

Very true!

[quote=“TomHill”]Oh dear. She is playing at being an adult, but betraying signs of childishness. Just take your heart out and smash it on a rock. It’ll be quicker in the long run.

If you think this:

when you see her, then please be aware it is a natural attack strategy used by Taiwanese women. She is saying, ‘come here to me, I want your nuts in my trophy cabinet.’[/quote]

[quote=“N1848N”]Thanks all, those were some pretty entertaining as well as a few informative answers. Let me answer a couple of questions before I ask my next one:

1)[[PHOTO OF KITTY WITH BIG EYES] That’s very good, how did you know that’s what she looks like, except her hair is black. I tell you, when I visualize her in my mind, its the eyes I see first, almond shaped, dark, a little sad, very deep, very compelling. [/quote]