Does anyone ever use PTT software?

I suppose this question could fit either in the Living in Taiwan thread or software, so I just stuck in here.

Anyhow, for those of you who are unsure of what I’m talking about. I am referring to this:

ibb.com.tw/kkman-ptt-bbs.html#1

This website gives you a basic guide to how to use it.

Anyhow, apparently this website is the the way Taiwanese gossip and chat and what not. I’m sure a couple of you are familiar with it but if not it’s kinda of popular with the younger crowd for networking and the such.

I would like to use it for a couple of reasons, but it’s difficult for me to do so for two reasons which are:

1. Taiwanese ID number

2. A specific Taiwanese school email

I suppose number 2 won’t be a big deal because I will get an email eventually. But what do you guys do for the ID number? Do you use your friend’s? Would they feel uncomfortable about that? I know I would if someone was using my Passport ID number…

I think you are supposed to use your passport number if you are a foreigner.

I don’t use PTT’s, you really need to be able to read/write Chinese in order to use PTT because no one will write English there unless they’re looking for language exchange.

I know that’s what most Taiwanese use when it comes to internet but it’s lost on me, I don’t understand its organization and it throws me off, not to mention I can’t really type Chinese that well so it makes the whole experience frustrating. I wish there’s a program where I can simply speak mandarin to it and it shoots out Chinese words…

To state the obvious from another perspective: it’s a tool that many unversity students use. It’s simple, kind of like usenet news (in case anybody around here knows what that is), and, as Taiwan Luthiers say(s), it’s in Mandarin (mostly). And the keyword is (like most everywhere else) “networking”. :sunglasses: :slight_smile: So the answer to the unasked question is “yes” (within the obvious limits). :smiley:

PTT is the main forum discussion place for Taiwanese. It started for students, but has grown dramatically for everyone now.

I don’t think you need software or anything else to view it here https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/hotboards.html

Yes, it’s simple text format, nothing fancy or modern, but it is the place for Taiwanese to chat about everything including politics or sex or whatever. Like 500,000 posts a day or more. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PTT_Bulletin_Board_System

I think I saw someone using a PTT app on their smartphone the other day. Does anyone know if there is an app available?

There is an app available, the one I’ve found most user-friendly/actually functional is Mo PTT.

Right now I only lurk ptt but I’d like to be able to register so I can post. Has anyone else been able to do this, and how?

1 Like

Bumpity bump…

Anybody got the deets on infiltrating PTT?

As a user, that is.

1 Like