Dog Restaurant [WARNING]

Just a friendly reminder: This is real, this is sickening and this is just a small peak behind the rusty garage doors of Taiwan

This video reminds me how powerful the age of camera phones and social media really is.

T

I don’t want to watch the video. Can someone summarize what, where, when?

1 Like

Following.

._.

A group of people including one or two police officers goes into a simple style restaurant (in what looks like an industrial area in maybe Taizhong, Changhua or Yunlin) and walk right back into the kitchen. A man is butchering a dog carcass, which is mainly cut up but you can see what looks like a snout. There is a woman with the group - possibly the complainant - who is shrieking her head off in horror. The police take some stills and one sample of the meat.

1 Like

A group of people including one or two police officers goes into a simple style restaurant (in what looks like an industrial area in maybe Taizhong, Zhanghua or Yunlin) and walk right back into the kitchen. A man is butchering a dog carcass, which is mainly cut up but you can see what looks like a snout. There is a woman with the group - possibly the complainant - who is shrieking her head off in horror. The police take some stills and one sample of the meat.[/quote]
Was the dog being served as something else in that restaurant, or it was the secret “special” dish of the restaurant?

There is a lot going on here.

I see a case of the police enforcing the law. :cop:

I see dog loving Taiwanese being proactive :scooby:

I see social media drawing attention to a heinous act :discodance:

I also see customers supporting an illegal enterprise. :no-no:

I see a butcher who is absolutely oblivious to why all these people are so upset. :idunno:

Most of all, I see a culture clash right here in Taiwan that most think is bygone. :blush:

T

1 Like

It’s winter … dog meat prevents getting a cold. I don’t think it’s the only restaurant serving dog meat at the moment for their superstitious regulars paying good money for because they know it’s illegal.

[quote=“jesus80”]
Was the dog being served as something else in that restaurant, or it was the secret “special” dish of the restaurant?[/quote]

Unclear. But in my experience, if dog was being served it was probably either the main dish or one of several exotic meat dishes.

At least it is illegal, but I do believe it does go on in Taiwan. Decades ago it was monkey brains. Luckily that was outlawed and stopped. Eating dogs has to stop too.

In fact, on that note, eat less beef and pigs too. And goats and lambs. All large mammals. Let’s just eat a lot less of those.

In certain fishing ports they still sell dolphin meat on the side, and occasionally stuff like whale shark. No body in power really cares. What are mundane creatures to the descendants of the dragon?

YYEAH Taiwanese are pretty lawless. It was for a long time an island of Pirates and natives that will kill and possibly eat you.

That

Did they eat those Japanese people they beheaded?

That[/quote]

They probably ate his brain …

That[/quote]

They probably ate his brain …[/quote]

And then stuffed his head with tofu.

The sign in front says “mountain rat meat” (mmmm) but nothing else strange. Maybe that’s a pseudonym for exotic meat in general? The woman screaming actually says “my dog” before wailing, pretty horrible.

Is this thing getting media attention?

We had lunch near Taichung Park once in a Vietnamese restaurant. I ordered beef. The meat looked a bit strange, not beefy at all. Might have been the way the Vietnamese prepare beef, but later we came to the conclusion that it must have been a squirrel from the nearby park… :lick:

Mmmm, tree rat.