Dropping out of university...ARC status?

Hi there! I’m sorry if this has already been covered, but I couldn’t find it in my search.

If someone had an ARC based on their studies at university with an expiration date in September, but they were to drop out of university, in say, March…would the ARC automatically become null? Would you have to leave the country immediately after dropping out? Is there some sort of time window there?

Super appreciative of any help! Thank you!

Thought it was valid until the university notifies the NIA that you’re no longer a student.

Think you have 10 days after cancellation to leave. You could always check with NIA if you’re not certain when you need to leave.

Basically, yes. One more time, everyone repeat after me: the date printed on your ARC is for illustrative purposes only. Basic ballpark reference.

You forfeit your right to be here and the validity of your ARC when your reason to be here, the student visa, goes kaput. Now, for it to go kaput, the university will send a letter saying you are not a student anymore to the NIA. Now, employers are not in any way responsible for communicating to you when they have sent the paperwork to NIA, dunno if universities are required to inform you but I doubt it. Hence, it is up to you to stay on the ball and know when your ARC becomes void. NIA would tell you… if you ask. They are not going to chase you around your last 3 addresses, for example, yto let you know -like some cases I have known.

I gather you are asking this because you do not plan to overstay/stay illegally. Maybe you found a job or are just fed up with teh studies. There are ways to make a leagl transition, just ask NIA for an extension. Negotiate.

Th eother option would be your leaving the island, and never coming back, in which case no problem.

Sorry to revive this thread, but I have another question. Do you think the university would be willing to negotiate, or should I talk with the NIA? Here’s the thing, I have a ticket back home two weeks from today. I wanted to start the dropping out process now, but I’m afraid they’ll report me to the NIA immediately and then I’ll be forced to leave the country earlier than my actual flight out.

Thanks for your help!