Drugs and the Justice System

Surely this would only be useful if you were interested in somehow being involved with illegal activities?

Number one, you need to be getting a percentage per sale. If he gets busted, so do you. You maybe would be able to talk your way out of it, but it would be extremely iffy, to say the least.
Best to kick the guy out or else move yourself. ASAP.
Kids these days! Jesus!

or knock him off and take his stash for yourself.

and his customer list.

lightweights.

Drugs and the Justice System: *Edited

How do the Taiwanese authorities categorize the arrests relating to the unlawful possession, sale, use, growing, and manufacturing of narcotic drugs?

Unlawful Possession

Are most of those arrested for drug offenses charged with possession rather than with the sale or manufacture of drugs?

“Under the amendments, those who hold or take less than 20 grams of grade-3 narcotics such as Ketamine, or grade-4 stabilizer narcotics will be subject to a fine of NT$10,000 to NT$50,000, and four to eight hours of instruction courses.”

“As to those who hold over 20 grams of the grade-3 and grade-4 narcotics will face a jail term of less than three years.”

“Based on the revised Narcotics Endangerment Prevention Act, those who are found taking a large amount of narcotics will be imposed heavier jail terms than before.”

“For instance, those who hold 10 grams and over of heroin (grade-1 narcotics) will face an imprisonment of over one year and under seven years.”

“Those who hold 20 grams and over of amphetamine (grade-2 drug) will be sentenced to over six months and under five years in jail.”

“Those who hold 20 grams and over of Ketamine (grade-3 drug) will be imprisoned for less than three years, and those who hold 20 grams and over of grade-4 stabilizer drugs will be jailed for less than one year.”

source: [favurl=]http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2009/11/20/233459/Anti-drug-plan.htm[/favurl] The China Post

*Edited

If your housemate, roommate, girlfriend, boyfriend, friend, significant other etc. has copious amounts of unlawful drugs in his/her possession and is arrested, will everybody in the house be charged for aiding and abetting a criminal?

Number one, you need to be getting a percentage per sale. If he gets busted, so do you. You maybe would be able to talk your way out of it, but it would be extremely iffy, to say the least.
Kids these days! Jesus![/quote]

Sale

A Taiwanese acquaintance got busted with 50 plants. He is facing 6 years. Sounds like 6-7 years is the norm.

Use

What are the implications of failing a drug test here in Taiwan?

Deportation?
Jail sentence?

Manufacturing

Guessing this one comes with a heavy penalty, as it may be seen as the source of all illicit drugs.

is jenkem legal in Taiwan?

I was caught in Taiwan growing marijuana and I think I was charged with possesion,growing 8 plants about 12 inches tall and about 20 seedlings, lights and in a purpose built growing room,plus I think I was charged with selling. My wife and I did a urine and mine was the one that was positive (strange that) Maybe because she was Taiwanese with our 14 month old child. I of coarse was placed in rehab in a prison near Miaoli for 6 weeks. The reason I say I think regard charges is that it was all in Chinese handled by a lawyer from Miaoli and my wife at the time.$us 2000 paid at the time
My question is how do I find out more about this.
How l;ng until the statuet of limitations expires
What problems may I face if I return.
Also if I was to return with my 6 year old dual citizenship daughter
can her citizenship help me to stay in taiwan regard a visa
Cheers Norm (Doc) Savage

Kids these days! Jesus![/quote]
I remember a guy who had rented a multi-storey building and was sub-letting apartments in it to others. One of them was growing plants on a balcony and the cops were called. The guy who rented the building was arrested, tried and convicted for manufacture / trafficking along with the grower because his name was on the lease. Five years in jail, followed by deportation and permanent blacklist. So, be careful who you rent your property to.

[quote=“Doc Savage”]I was caught in Taiwan growing marijuana and I think I was charged with possesion,growing 8 plants about 12 inches tall and about 20 seedlings, lights and in a purpose built growing room,plus I think I was charged with selling. My wife and I did a urine and mine was the one that was positive (strange that) Maybe because she was Taiwanese with our 14 month old child. I of coarse was placed in rehab in a prison near Miaoli for 6 weeks. The reason I say I think regard charges is that it was all in Chinese handled by a lawyer from Miaoli and my wife at the time.$us 2000 paid at the time My question is how do I find out more about this.

How long until the statue of limitations expires What problems may I face if I return. Also if I was to return with my 6 year old dual citizenship daughter can her citizenship help me to stay in taiwan regard a visa Cheers Norm (Doc) Savage[/quote]

Hi Norm. Usually expats who have a criminal record and have spent anytime in a prison, especially for drugs, are permanently banned from returning to Taiwan. Your daugher as an ROC national may not be able to sponsor you as a parent with your drug conviction, if that’s what you have. Your previous ARC, if you had one, would have been cancelled.

You would need to check what police record is on file. You can do this by having your friends apply for the police for your Police Certificate on your behald perhaps. You would also need to perhaps contact the NIA here or the Taiwan TECO Visa office for where you are now.

Even if you had a visa free nationality your information is certain to be stored on immigration records so it’s unlikely you would even be let into Taiwan through the airport if your ARC has been cancelled while you were away…

Thank you from Doc Savage re my inquiry I will do that contact TECO office.The interesting thing is after I was released from rehab my wife and I were invited to the opening of my wifes classmates new law office in Miaoli. He the classmate was the ex police prosecuter before going private, anyway while at the party who arrives but the arresting police officers,My wife gave them a serve as she did on the day of the raid as to who she new, these police where so apolagetic once they realised who she did know,saying it will be ok nothing will happen it will all go away. So this will be an interesting inquiry with TECO. Cheers Doc

I grassed a dumb schmuck once. He got well-done and I got a fat 50k hongbao for my trouble. He wasn’t you though, doc – he was single and one of the biggest assholes I ever met in my life. Rip me off, dude? Try to grass ME off? You WILL pay! :laughing:

Unfortunately there are permanent records that would to go multiple agencies. NIA would be one of them. A gentleman from my home village is a very senior FAP chap so I could ask him.

Your wife gave the cops a serve for busting you for growing and selling dope?

Was your ARC cancelled, were your deported, and do you have a criminal conviction? That’s a really important issue.

Unfortunately there are permanent records that would to go multiple agencies. NIA would be one of them. A gentleman from my home village is a very senior FAP chap so I could ask him.

Your wife gave the cops a serve for busting you for growing and selling dope?

Was your ARC cancelled, were your deported, and do you have a criminal conviction? That’s a really important issue.[/quote]Thank You, For the reply again, No I don’t think conviction. or cancellation of ARC.I renewed my ARC that same month.
I was released from miaoli and within a few weeks, maybe 4, we left Taiwan for Aust , wife obtained electronic visa no problem,we all had return tickets.We had been thinking about going to Aust for a look for wifes approval.We were away about 8 weeks. Returning with no problems went home and started to dispose of everything too move too Australia. This all happened with no problems or mail or visits, it was at this time we went to the party.So from September till December nothing…

How does anyone manage to get caught with drugs in the first place? Some of you lot are well thick.

HAHA Page two…
we had given The law Firm $2000us while I was in rehab, maybe they were or are defending me.
Yes the wife did give them a serve about the gear they found but more who she new.
Cheers Doc

Having a TW wife and dual citizen child probably helps here. Those without will probably be treated differently.

[quote=“Doc Savage”]HAHA Page two… we had given The law Firm $2000us while I was in rehab, maybe they were or are defending me.
Yes the wife did give them a serve about the gear they found but more who she new. Cheers Doc[/quote]

Well so far it seems you have been charged but not gone to court. IF you ARC is valid then I guess you are free to return… But would you want to if you might be facing jail time? IF you ARC is valid then I guess you are free to return. TECO would have any records unless you have been convicted.

Sounds like you need to contact the police and the court to see where this ends up. US$2,000 shouldt have been hard to raise from the proceeds of your little farm :whistle:

[quote=“Doc Savage”]HAHA Page two…
we had given The law Firm $2000us while I was in rehab, maybe they were or are defending me.
Yes the wife did give them a serve about the gear they found but more who she new.
Cheers Doc[/quote]

Whatever happened to this? Did you get deported? Have to go to prison? What was prison like?

As far as I know, the legal system here is full of loopholes, which has been explained to me by practising foreign lawyers in Taiwan as being a result of the martial law system. We’ve all seen preventitive detention in action. With drugs, the prosecutor has some leeway to assign rehab as opposed to prosecution, for users or addicts as opposed to real crooks. This distinction might well derail the paperwork that would normally lead to a criminal record, although records of some kind would be kept. If not criminal, then not neceesarily shared with other government department. Having a local spouse and no actual criminal record might well lead to avoiding hassles gettng another ARC. But in the long term, if you could get citizenship that might be an idea. If they so no, ii’s no. If they say yes, then no ARC problems in the future.

news.airwise.com/story/view/1285158119.html

Drug convictions can deny you entry into other countries too, even if you are rich and famous and go there with your own charter plane. At least if you do , they allow you to stay overnite in a hotel, most others are summarily sent off on the next flight of the airline that brought u.

Yes thats a good idea. If Taiwan could figure in your future and you want to live on the rock again. Getting your tW citizenship would remove that “possible conviction” they have on you that they could use on you in the future at their discretion.

Once you are a citizen, they cant deny you entry. They could still convict you on the former charge, but most likely not.

Laws are bent everyday on the rock. Sometimes that is very much in your favor.

Part of the goodness of the rock.