Moving to Taipei

Occasionally the board discusses the use or sale of illegal drugs, but the discussions usually focus on the possible consequences:

[quote]Another westerner was busted for selling pot according to the Apple Daily. Some 60ish guy called Allan from USA.
When will foreigners learn that Taiwan is not a good place to be selling Cannabis.[/quote]
[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 0#p1305830](Another Western Foreigner Busted for Cannabis June 2011

[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 6#p1305596](How many drug busts do you personally know about in 2011 June 2011

[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 6#p1266526](Big drug bust in Taipei - #2 by alidarbac March 2011

[quote]They found .82 of a gram of hash in a vitamin box that we have had for ages. We don’t really smoke that often but it’s nice to have a bit for rainy days and all that. They arrested us, we got booked, piss tested and spent a few hours in jail until someone could bail us out. * * * We got our sentences in the mail saying that we both have to do 6 to 8 weeks in a “rehab” jail up in Tu Cheng.[/quote] [Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 5#p1144215](Headed for 6-8 weeks in a "rehab" jail; what to expect? April 2010

[quote]I was caught in Taiwan growing marijuana and I think I was charged with possesion,growing 8 plants about 12 inches tall and about 20 seedlings, lights and in a purpose built growing room,plus I think I was charged with selling. [/quote] [Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 3#p1101863](Drugs and the Justice System - #7 by Doc_Savage January 2010

[quote]I remember a guy who had rented a multi-storey building and was sub-letting apartments in it to others. One of them was growing plants on a balcony and the cops were called. The guy who rented the building was arrested, tried and convicted for manufacture / trafficking along with the grower because his name was on the lease. Five years in jail, followed by deportation and permanent blacklist. So, be careful who you rent your property to.[/quote] [Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 9#p1101879](Drugs and the Justice System - #8 by redwagon January 2010

[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 0#p1239520](Another big nose busted for growing weed December 2009

[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 7#p1090707](UK citizen caught smuggling cannabis at Xiaogang airport - #3 by GRC22 December 2009

[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 2#p1068772](All the recent foreigner drug busts November 2009

[quote]A Taiwanese acquaintance got busted with 50 plants. He is facing 6 years. Sounds like 6-7 years is the norm. [/quote] [Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 1#p1076251](All the recent foreigner drug busts - #112 by GRC22 November 2009

[quote]I learn a lot from teaching adults now and a cop who comes to my class said it is becoming more common to see young Taiwanese take/busted for drugs. He also said it is always easier to focus on the foreign crowd than the locals for the media, it makes for better news and confirms the sterotypes.[/quote] [Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 7#p1070887](All the recent foreigner drug busts - #32 by Dangergyrl November 2009

[quote]Seen on TV this afternoon: Teacher ‘Steven’ at golf training center in Taichung caught growing marijuana at home and dealing in local clubs. Police found 57 g of the product and 3,500 ‘seeds.’ [/quote] [Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 4#p1074654](All the recent foreigner drug busts - #34 by enzo November 2009

[quote]Now from what my most dependable sources have told me the foreigner is South African(confirmed), he lived in Lugang(confirmed), and he was busted with about 200 plants(unconfirmed).[/quote] [Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 3#p1064233](South-African caught growing weed? - #4 by Belgian_Pie October 2009

[quote]There are loads of people serving time in Taiwan for drug relatively minor drug offenses. They really don’t like foreigners getting involved in this stuff here. [/quote] [Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 60#p836260](Cannabis in Taiwan - #46 by headhonchoII March 2008

[quote]I wonder what happened to the Brit?
Sounds like he got off easy with 5 years, but that’s still a looong time to think about his mistake. [/quote]
[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 05#p770905](High court sentences Canadian to five years for drugs - #2 by Josefus August 2007

[quote]Nine celebrities who were tested for practically every known recreational/abusable drug because their numbers were found on a pot-dealer’s cell phone will be going to the clink sometime around Chinese New Year. Another eleven are now going to be tested.[/quote] [Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 16#p665516](The New Puritanism - Taiwan style December 2006

[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 28#p406228](English teachers nabbed in drug-ring bust (Part 1) August 2005

[Club Raids at Xmas! December 2001