Editing w/out work permit?

Does it sound strange that I was just offered a job as a copy editor with a certain English newspaper but they told me they wouldn’t be able to provide a work permit? Apparently the gov’t requires two years of “related experience.” All I have is a year as “science and technology editor” with my high school newspaper and a bachelor’s in Chinese.

Has anybody had a similar experience? Were you able to work around it and get an ARC? Maybe I should just take some more Chinese classes…

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

I have and it is just horseshit. They probably feel they just can’t trust you at the moment–nothing personal, it is just that too many editors split after a week, a month, a day, whatever, with not even a proper goodbye. I was able to get a work permit despite being fresh out of college with no work experience using article clippings. This was a while ago, though, so I am not sure if that would work now. I have also seen the case of them telling staff “sorry, they rejected your application.” Usually the case is that you told them you are only staying in Taiwan a year and they don’t want to bother going through the trouble of an application. If this is really what you want, be persistant, but not a pest, and don’t give them the impression you are not making a long-term committment to Taiwan.

Flicka: Thems was the good old days. They really do enforce the experience requirement now. I have no idea why.

If you have clippings and the like, you can sometimes get around this if you have an experienced ‘fixer’ pushing your application or if you are good deeling with civil servants and HR Nazis.

BTW: Your high school experience does not count. Work experience is defined as expereince you have AFTER you graduated from university.

Just to clarify, those with a JFRV wouldn’t need to apply for a work permit, right? So, the two years’ experience (or lack thereof) wouldn’t be an issue?

BTW, I am not recommending marraige to a Taiwanese person for Meredith–just for the sake of finding a way around the work permit requirement to work at the newspaper.

Interesting question. I agree that according to law you don’t need a work permit. But I suspect the GIO may see things differently. They are likely to think that they need to regulate foreigners working in a sensitive field like the media and therefore require a work permit.

Is anyone working for newspaper or other media outlet on a JFRV?

Work permits for JFRV holdersare not under the purview of the GIO, but under the CLA, who don’t even require you to actually apply as ESa article 48 states clearly that you don’t need to apply.

How about we get this thread moved to “work permits” under Legal Matters?

[quote=“Feiren”]I agree that according to law you don’t need a work permit. But I suspect the GIO may see things differently. They are likely to think that they need to regulate foreigners working in a sensitive field like the media and therefore require a work permit.

Is anyone working for newspaper or other media outlet on a JFRV?[/quote]
I do copyediting for the GIO on a JFRV. I’ve had no legal hassles from this.