Electricity Bills

I rent a small studio with my girlfriend in a new building in Banqiao. The landlord charges us 5NT/unit for electricity.
Last month we used a total of 482 units of electricity, giving a total bill of 2410NT. This seems like WAY to much, especially as we are not using the a/c.
I can’t figure out why our bill is so high. All our appliances are new and when we switch the mains power off, the meter stops turning - so I don’t think anyone is stealing our electricity.
Any ideas?

The landlord shouldn’t be billing you unless there is some odd arrangement with metering. Your bill should come direct from Taipower.

Do the numbers on your bill (I assume he’s letting you see it?) tie up with what you see on the meter? Also, check to see if there is a “public areas” charge factored in. Many new-build apartment buildings piss away energy like it’s going out of fashion, and pass on the cost to each owner. In my building, our (share of) public-energy usage exceeds our own individual usage by a fairly wide margin.

18kWh a day is completely impossible unless you are (a) at home all day and (b) running the aircon.

I think $5/kWh is more-or-less the going rate, though.

[quote=“finley”]The landlord shouldn’t be billing you unless there is some odd arrangement with metering. Your bill should come direct from Taipower.

Do the numbers on your bill (I assume he’s letting you see it?) tie up with what you see on the meter?

18kWh a day is completely impossible unless you are (a) at home all day and (b) running the aircon.

I think $5/kWh is more-or-less the going rate, though.[/quote]

Not complaining about the rate, but don’t understand why we are using so much electricity. We are both out working in the day, and not using the aircon as it’s not hot enough yet.
The landlord has not shown us the bill, we simply read the meter each month and pay him for how ever much electricity we use.
We have asked him why the bill is so high, and he suggested turning off the water heater when we are not using it (there is no gas in the apartment - cooking and hot water is done by electricity). I don’t know how much difference this would make.
We asked the building management and they agreed that 482 units was excessive. They suggested calling Taipower. Taipower asked us to turn off the mains for 20 minutes and see if the meter stopped turning - which it did.
So now I am completely at a loss - could it be a faulty meter? A faulty appliance?

OK … so from your own meter reading, you’ve used 482 units?

The easy way to solve this is to just unplug everything and then add them back in again, one at a time. If you meter only has standard resolution (0.1kWh) it’s a bit painful because you have to wait a while to get any sort of result. Wait at least 30 mins; so if, for example, if you see something taking >0.3kWh in 30 mins, there’s your culprit, although it’s more likely your heating appliances (see below) rather than something malfunctioning.

Also take a reading last thing at night and first thing in the morning (when everything except the fridge should be off) and see if the number looks reasonable. Likewise when you leave for work and when you come back in the evening. Taiwan fridges, btw, are shite. Even the less-than-enormous ones burn ~2kWh/24hrs.

Turning off the water heater is daft unless you’ve got an (uninsulated) hot water tank somewhere - which seems unlikely, since electric heaters in Taiwan normally heat on demand. Tanks are not common. But yes, if you both have a long shower, or use a tub, that will definitely add a lot to your bill. Might even be your problem right there. A 50’C shower demands 126KJ/litre (0.035 units), which mean 5-10 units per shower. Again, read your meter before and after shower to check the damage. Cooking too, if you often prepare elaborate meals - might be a good excuse to eat out more often!

We used 703 units for January and February. The bills are issued for two month.
There is a little confusion with some electricity saving discount we get.
As far as I understand, the bill says we used 764 units 1981.2 NT$
There seems to be a bonus of 60 units because we used less electricity 703 units and the final pay is 1628NT$.

We ran our air-conditioner either for heating, cooling or drying the air at times.
We ran two 350W pc about 16 hours a day everyday.
An LG washer and dryer all in one, my guess, more than 2000W/h for about 3 hours at least every second day.
Medium sized refrigerator.
7 light bulbs 27W each all day.
Bathroom fan all day.
I charge my E bikes batteries every day. 24V 10HD

However, we heat our water with gas and that accounts for 800 NT$ every two month and we pay the elevator bill which is 800 per month also.

Still, I think you are being ripped off.

Yes.

[quote=“Mawvellous”]
The easy way to solve this is to just unplug everything and then add them back in again, one at a time. If you meter only has standard resolution (0.1kWh) it’s a bit painful because you have to wait a while to get any sort of result. Wait at least 30 mins; so if, for example, if you see something taking >0.3kWh in 30 mins, there’s your culprit, although I can’t imagine what that could possibly be. It might take you several days to complete the experiment, but you will get to the bottom of it eventually.

Also take a reading last thing at night and first thing in the morning (when everything except the fridge should be off) and see if the number looks reasonable. Likewise when you leave for work and when you come back in the evening. Taiwan fridges, btw, are shite. Even the less-than-enormous ones burn ~2kWh/24hrs.

Turning off the water heater is daft unless you’ve got an (uninsulated) hot water tank somewhere - which seems unlikely, since electric heaters in Taiwan normally heat on demand. Tanks are not common.[/quote]

The fridge has a sticker on it saying it uses 360 units a year, which is less than 1 unit a day. Apart from that, the only thing that’s on at the moment are the lights in one room - and the meter is still turning at a fairly quick rate (took a peep at the neighbours’ meters and ours seems to turn the fastest). So maybe the fridge is at fault.
I will conduct the experiment tomorrow, thanks for the advice. :notworthy:

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]We used 703 units for January and February. The bills are issued for two month.
There is a little confusion with some electricity saving discount we get.
As far as I understand, the bill says we used 764 units 1981.2 NT$
There seems to be a bonus of 60 units because we used less electricity 703 units and the final pay is 1628NT$.

We ran our air-conditioner either for heating, cooling or drying the air at times.
We ran two 350W pc about 16 hours a day everyday.
An LG washer and dryer all in one, my guess, more than 2000W/h for about 3 hours at least every second day.
Medium sized refrigerator.
7 light bulbs 27W each all day.
Bathroom fan all day.
I charge my E bikes batteries every day. 24V 10HD

However, we heat our water with gas and that accounts for 800 NT$ every two month and we pay the elevator bill which is 800 per month also.

Still, I think you are being ripped off.[/quote]

We don’t use the air conditioner. Turned the heating on briefly during a cold spell at the start of the month. We have a small fridge. We hardly ever run the bathroom fan. We do cook most days though. How come you use about 150 less units than us a month? :loco:

[quote=“finley”]

Turning off the water heater is daft unless you’ve got an (uninsulated) hot water tank somewhere - which seems unlikely, since electric heaters in Taiwan normally heat on demand. Tanks are not common. But yes, if you both have a long shower, or use a tub, that will definitely add a lot to your bill. Might even be your problem right there. A 50’C shower demands 126KJ/litre (0.035 units), which mean 5-10 units per shower. Again, read your meter before and after shower to check the damage. Cooking too, if you often prepare elaborate meals - might be a good excuse to eat out more often![/quote]

My girlfriend often has long showers, maybe 15 minutes. My own showers take about 2 minutes. We don’t have a tub. I cook most days, but nothing very elaborate.

[quote=“Mawvellous”]I rent a small studio with my girlfriend in a new building in Banqiao. The landlord charges us 5NT/unit for electricity.
Last month we used a total of 482 units of electricity, giving a total bill of 2410NT. This seems like WAY to much, especially as we are not using the a/c.
I can’t figure out why our bill is so high. All our appliances are new and when we switch the mains power off, the meter stops turning - so I don’t think anyone is stealing our electricity.
Any ideas?[/quote]

Did you pay 2410NT for one or two month?

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”][quote=“Mawvellous”]I rent a small studio with my girlfriend in a new building in Banqiao. The landlord charges us 5NT/unit for electricity.
Any ideas?[/quote]

Did you pay 2410NT for one or two month?[/quote]

One! 482 units at 5NT a unit.

Here is a line on our bill that should give you a figure.

1981=220*2.10+440*2.68+104*3.27 So why are you paying 5NT?

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]Here is a line on our bill that should give you a figure.

1981=220*2.10+440*2.68+104*3.27 So why are you paying 5NT?[/quote]

Because that’s what the landlord charges, as agreed in our contract (he does include water and cable TV in the rent). We give him the money based on the meter reading every month, and he takes care of paying the bills.

[quote=“Mawvellous”][quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]Here is a line on our bill that should give you a figure.

Because that’s what the landlord charges, as agreed in our contract (he does include water and cable TV in the rent). We give him the money based on the meter reading every month, and he takes care of paying the bills.[/quote]

OK, I see. He probably is one of those who keeps his household registration in your apartment or has someone else registered in it.
He probable also cut and split one cable TV line up for a number of units.

A fast Internet connection will cost you 1000 NT$ a month water 250 NT$ a month. The electricity should be about 1000 NT$ but be careful with your water heater.
Taking responsibility and matters in your own hand could save you ca 500 NT$ a month, but the electricity prices will go up starting next month.

Just tell the landlord that you wish to see the original bill and then figure out how to cut down on those units.
Also, an old small sized refrigerator can be quite a sucker.

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”][quote=“Mawvellous”][quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]Here is a line on our bill that should give you a figure.

Because that’s what the landlord charges, as agreed in our contract (he does include water and cable TV in the rent). We give him the money based on the meter reading every month, and he takes care of paying the bills.[/quote]

OK, I see. He probably is one of those who keeps his household registration in your apartment or has someone else registered in it.
He probable also cut and split one cable TV line up for a number of units.

A fast Internet connection will cost you 1000 NT$ a month water 250 NT$ a month. The electricity should be about 1000 NT$ but be careful with your water heater.
Taking responsibility and matters in your own hand could save you ca 500 NT$ a month, but the electricity prices will go up starting next month.

Just tell the landlord that you wish to see the original bill and then figure out how to cut down on those units.
Also, an old small sized refrigerator can be quite a sucker.[/quote]

Not sure about the household registration, although we haven’t seen any mail related to that. The apartment is a separate unit(獨立套房) and we are his only tenets, so he’s definitely not splitting up the cable TV. And the fridge is brand new and has an energy saving sticker on it saying it uses only 360 units a year.
Completely at a loss why the meter is turning so quickly…

[quote=“Mawvellous”]

Not sure about the household registration, although we haven’t seen any mail related to that. The apartment is a separate unit(獨立套房) and we are his only tenets, so he’s definitely not splitting up the cable TV. And the fridge is brand new and has an energy saving sticker on it saying it uses only 360 units a year.
Completely at a loss why the meter is turning so quickly…[/quote]

Go to your fuse-box in your apartment and switch them all off then go to the meter and see if it still turns.
If yes, someone or something between your apartment and the meter is sucking electricity.
Then unplug all electric devices and switch the fuses back on see if it starts turning or not.
Plug in one device after another and each time go an see what happens.

My guess is that your showers are very costly. Cable TV costs about 300 to 600 a month.

How much rent do you pay anyway. 1000NT$ per ping or more?

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”][quote=“Mawvellous”]

Go to your fuse-box in your apartment and switch them all off then go to the meter and see if it still turns.
If yes, someone or something between your apartment and the meter is sucking electricity.
Then unplug all electric devices and switch the fuses back on see if it starts turning or not.

My guess is that your showers are very costly. Cable TV costs about 300 to 600 a month.

How much rent do you pay anyway. 1000NT$ per ping or more?[/quote]

The meter stops turning when the mains are switched off, so I don’t think anyone is stealing the electricity. Someone else has suggested plugging devices in one by one, I will do that tomorrow.
The rent is 19k for 17 ping, including water, cable, and management fee. Electric 5NT/unit.

[quote=“Mawvellous”][quote=“Hamletintaiwan”][quote=“Mawvellous”]

How much rent do you pay anyway. 1000NT$ per ping or more?[/quote]

The meter stops turning when the mains are switched off, so I don’t think anyone is stealing the electricity. Someone else has suggested plugging devices in one by one, I will do that tomorrow.
The rent is 19k for 17 ping, including water, cable, and management fee. Electric 5NT/unit.[/quote]

My thinking is because the landlord doesn’t charge you for the water he is doing that over the electric bill. He probably knows, that the water heater he installed will show up on the eclectic bill quite noticeable.

You’ll find out tomorrow.

Is electricity really only NT$2.x/unit? Damn, I knew it was cheap (that’s why I never bother checking - our electricity bill is trivial) but I didn’t realise THAT cheap.

So, OP, it seems your landlord IS ripping you off. Not entirely sure what you can do about that, since it’s obviously a nice moneyspinner for him. Anyway, it is highly irregular to not let the tenant pay his own bills, and hamletintaiwan is probably right: it’s because of some scam he’s got going on.

Since you have very few appliances, it sounds to me like showers and cooking is where the actual energy consumption goes, but the money is going in your landlord’s pocket. Yes, 360 units/year for the fridge is not too bad.

[quote=“finley”]Is electricity really only NT$2.x/unit? Damn, I knew it was cheap (that’s why I never bother checking - our electricity bill is trivial) but I didn’t realise THAT cheap.

So, OP, it seems your landlord IS ripping you off. Not entirely sure what you can do about that, since it’s obviously a nice moneyspinner for him. Anyway, it is highly irregular to not let the tenant pay his own bills, and hamletintaiwan is probably right: it’s because of some scam he’s got going on.

Since you have very few appliances, it sounds to me like showers and cooking is where the actual energy consumption goes, but the money is going in your landlord’s pocket. Yes, 360 units/year for the fridge is not too bad.[/quote]

Not sure how he is ripping us off though. The per unit cost of 5NT is high, but at the top of the acceptable range from what I have found on my web searches.

What I am concerned about is why we are using so many units every month.

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]

My thinking is because the landlord doesn’t charge you for the water he is doing that over the electric bill. He probably knows, that the water heater he installed will show up on the eclectic bill quite noticeable.

You’ll find out tomorrow.[/quote]

The building was only finished last year, the water heaters are those installed by the construction company.