Emergency! Advice needed tonight!

Your logic is flawed. Since she pulled the ARC out of the drawer, it is obvious that she already had your ARC but it does not matter what day the office stamps. Sometimes there are delays. I once was without an ARC for two months since the immigration office ran out of the card to print ARCs on. It was not until two matters after the day I was suppose to get my ARC that I actually received it. In this case I applied to the ARC myself. Something you should probably do in the future then you will not need to work about your boss hiding your ARC.[/quote]

Hmmm, I was told that the ARC is received the same day the office stamps and that it is impossible for the immigration office to run out of supplies. I’m not sure about your case, since you applied for it yourself. And it seems really odd that it took two months for you to get your ARC, even if they did run out of cards. Something stinks right there too…

In Taipei city the wait for the actual card to be issued was one week at the start of July, but by July 15 had changed to 2 weeks due to the civil servants taking holidays.
The ARC has to be applied for within 15 days of the work permit being issued, or there is a fine. So your ARC in Taipei city, at least, is probably issued within 3 weeks to a month of the work permit at latest. if there’s a stamp in your passport then that would be the date the ARC was processed so the actual card would normally be through 1 week to 2 weeks after this, depending on the time of year.

Aren’t most places on the new fangled plastic cards now, or is that just Taipei City?

On a separate, but related, issue in some municipalities apparently, such as Tainan, if you don’t go and pick up your ARC within a prescribed amount of time it is automatically revoked, there’s a rising penalty system from fines to deportion. Each municipality sets its own rules on this. Of course if you/your employer picks up your ARC in a timely fashion there’s no reason that people would be aware of this. So it pays to double check the rules for your area.

Skyfae,

Here is a previous thread I found on Forumosa regarding the subject of breach of contract fines, et al. I recommend that you read the whole thread, but [color=#FF0000]pay particular attention to page four[/color]. A Forumosa member named Pumkinslayer took his case all the way to the CLA for an arbitration hearing and he told his whole story and included a lot of very valuable information to include CLA phone numbers, names, and other contacts. Check it out here—>Validity of penalty clauses for breaking contract

Let us know how it turns out for you. :sunglasses:

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]Skyfae,

Here is a previous thread I found on Forumosa regarding the subject of breach of contract fines, et al. I recommend that you read the whole thread, but [color=#FF0000]pay particular attention to page four[/color]. A Forumosa member named Pumkinslayer took his case all the way to the CLA for an arbitration hearing and he told his whole story and included a lot of very valuable information to include CLA phone numbers, names, and other contacts. Check it out here—>Validity of penalty clauses for breaking contract

Let us know how it turns out for you. :sunglasses:[/quote]

Thank you for the link!

I typed up a letter last night and left a copy on both managers desks this morning. They said nothing to me all day. I received an evil glare from one. Shortly after I placed the letters on the desks, the owner walked into the office just in time to see them read, I’m sure. So tomorrow before I go home I will ask them again what will happen with my pay on Friday.

[quote=“Skyfae”][quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]Skyfae,

Let us know how it turns out for you. :sunglasses:[/quote]Thank you for the link!

I typed up a letter last night and left a copy on both managers desks this morning. They said nothing to me all day. I received an evil glare from one. Shortly after I placed the letters on the desks, the owner walked into the office just in time to see them read, I’m sure. So tomorrow before I go home I will ask them again what will happen with my pay on Friday.[/quote]
Good to hear! Be tough with them on Friday if they try to chistle you out of any money! Make sure they know very clearly that come Monday morning that you will be filing a grievance with the CLA and you will not settle for anything less than wages paid in full. If you do this right I don’t think they’ll try to call your bluff.

[

Wow, it all worked out. I threatened with the letter, management got nervous, owner met with me and he was really nervous. Management has been talking with other teachers asking if they are happy, asking why I am unhappy. Owner met privately with me and asked what the school could improve on, was super polite, and said he would not take the funds from me.
Then he told me they don’t use the fine to try and hold teachers, it’s because they “pay the recruiter so much money.” Regardless, the stupid fine is illegal. I really want to thank you all for the advice and information you gave me. So many of us are initially so naive when we first arrive here.

Management paid me tonight and said “This only happened because it is a case by case basis, please do not tell the other teachers.” Right. They all already know and the school better be prepared for everyone to demand payment in full if they so choose to end their contracts early.

I do feel guilty about leaving the kids on such short notice but I am moving on to a much better place. I feel so much stronger now after dealing with this.

Thank you again for listening to my whining and helping me sort this out!

Well done, Skyfae.

marboulette

Dang crooks, it really shouldnt be such a struggle.

Good job on out doing the wolves little red riding.

Well done! Now it’s your turn to keep your eyes on the forum and pass on your most recent experience and new found knowledge regarding this issue to a newbie who might need it! Pay it forward! :bravo: