Finally found decent inexpensive beer in Shanghai

I went the other day to a place near the bund (one block behind) to a brewpub run by a Texan bloke. Fantastic beers, very hoppy light ales and a more meaty dark ale as well, and some other stuff I never got round to.

If you’re in Shanghai this place is a must, as it is really top beer but at a reasonable price. A pint is Rmb30 and a litre Rmb80. The guy running the place is a very interesting chap. But the beer is the star. All beer in China is very weak and sweet for the local market and after you’ve been drinking it for a while real beer comes as quite a shock. A nice shock. But boy was I pissed after a few litres of that stuff.

Hopefully there will be food soon. Here are some links:

henrysbrew.com/gary.html

But we do not and will not ever pasteurize our fine lagers and ales. This diabolical process kills the yeast which in turn destroys the character, offering a mundane and inferior product that is so common in the “Mega Brews”.

shanghaiist.com/archives/200 … rewery.php

Haha! That’s great news. An interesting looking brewmaster, eh?

Great news.

I’ll be stopping by this place the next time I’m in Shanghai (but the won’t be anytime soon for the foreseeable future).

I thought this site was for Taiwan.

I think its for people with ties to and or interests in Taiwan.

Beer lovers like good beer wherever it is found.

I think its for people with ties to and or interests in Taiwan.[/quote]

…and also because more people from Taiwan go to Shanghai for a beer than they do ‘The Zone’. :smiling_imp:

Bob

[quote=“TpeBob”]…and also because more people from Taiwan go to Shanghai for a beer than they do ‘The Zone’. :smiling_imp:

Bob[/quote]

The bikini wax place?

yea, lets all go over there. Eat exotic animals, disregard human rights and get pissed.

You were in the area and you didn’t spend US$10 for a 7-11 beer at the top of the Armani building?

Jokes aside, a must is a few drinks at the 7th floor cafe in the late afternoon and then dinner at Jean Georges. Surely you must have already done this. I’ll be over again soon should we reserve the Cupola?

Well, looking at the website I didn’t see anything more exotic than buffalo wings on the menu, and I believe that’s made from chicken. He maybe torturing Tibetan kittens in the brewing rooms but I somehow doubt it, so I guess that just leaves getting pissed, eh?

You’ve not been to China I take it?

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Well, looking at the website I didn’t see anything more exotic than buffalo wings on the menu, and I believe that’s made from chicken. He maybe torturing Tibetan kittens in the brewing rooms but I somehow doubt it, so I guess that just leaves getting pissed, eh?

You’ve not been to China I take it?

HG[/quote]

Which website?

Who you be talking to?

I’ve got Safari pictures that a good buddy gave me, don’t you forget.

Hey, the safari pics have been sent to the dustbin of history . . . unless . . . You bastard!

HG

You mean they ain’t made out of buffaloes???

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Hey, the safari pics have been sent to the dustbin of history . . . unless . . . You bastard!

HG[/quote]

Hey, he’s my uncle;
Too bad he’s not your uncle;
He’s my uncle;
and his name is …

The plural of buffalo is buffalo.

Yes, I know there are other forms.

The plural of buffalo is buffalo.

Yes, I know there are other forms.
[/quote]

You mean the plural of buffalo ain’t wings?

Who cares. Let’s have a drink. Tomorrow?

I see you’ve had a few too seeing as the response is sooooooooo slow.

Sorry, I had to go feed the buffalo.
Wings.