Finally Taiwan police do their job on the river bikeway

I hope this becomes a habit of the Taiwanese police, but I saw two police giving a ticket to someone riding a scooter on the riverside bikeway. The look of shock on his face was so funny to me. I hope this happens more often.

Nothing that I haven’t done (I think), but glad to hear that they fine for it :slight_smile:

Were the police themselves on scooters? They were, weren’t they?

Yes, the police had scooters. Except for the maintenance workers and landscaping, ordinary people should not ride on the bikeways. Though is it is amusing sometimes to see a car try to take a shortcut, then get stuck and have to back up.

Were the police themselves on scooters? They were, weren’t they?[/quote]

Yeah that is a paradox . But , over here in Lafayette at the reservoir here (great place to walk around) there is a bike day on Thursdays IIRC and the Police police the trails with …SUV’s. Makes sense. Cops generally are not in good enough shape to bike those trails.

Yes on my ride home from Bali last night passing through the Dajia riverpark around 2300, we saw 2 cops giving out ticket to scooters using dedicated bike lane and overheard one young lady and a young man riding without a license.

This is some really awesome news.

I’m not sure if it’s Mayor Ko making the police crackdown on these things, but glad to hear it’s not limited to just tickets for cars parked on red lines and illegal right turn on reds.

I’m all for the police officers to scooter on the paths to get to a spot where they can better catch those jerks on scooters who endanger everyone on the paths. You have to assume they won’t go fast and have their red/blue lights going off so you can see them from a mile away.

I wonder how much those tickets are.

This is great to hear and any improvement to make things safer and the paths free from anything but bikes and runners/walkers is good.

But I have to say, I am more perturbed by the construction vehicles than scooters. They go way too fast (crazy fast a couple of times) and they’re just clueless it seems what the whole purpose of the paths they’re working on are. The good news is that the construction workers eventually move on. Maybe they’ll be completely out of the areas where I cycle soon.

(ranlee, wow a whole new forum for cycling! And you’re the moderator. I can’t believe I went cycling with someone so high up just a few days ago! You start threatening us with bans from the forums if we ride too slowly.)

[quote=“marasan”]This is great to hear and any improvement to make things safer and the paths free from anything but bikes and runners/walkers is good.

But I have to say, I am more perturbed by the construction vehicles than scooters. They go way too fast (crazy fast a couple of times) and they’re just clueless it seems what the whole purpose of the paths they’re working on are. The good news is that the construction workers eventually move on. Maybe they’ll be completely out of the areas where I cycle soon.

(ranlee, wow a whole new forum for cycling! And you’re the moderator. I can’t believe I went cycling with someone so high up just a few days ago! You start threatening us with bans from the forums if we ride too slowly.)[/quote]

That’s Lord Ranlee to you…

btw the construction workers don’t move on. This being Taiwan they never fucking stop digging up pavement. The cycle paths are in a constant state of “improvement”, and yeah, those trucks are way dangerous.

Yeah, “the unfinished city” is how I’ve heard Taipei described.

I expect everyone’s posts here to end with “m’lord” or I’ll be havin a hanging!

Thanks marasan. I’m glad to see the forum get some more traffic after the move up too.

The bane of our existence as cyclists will always be those blue trucks no matter where we are. To be honest, I’ve met ones that drive slow too!

I wonder what the cops can do about blue trucks? Is their a mutual agreement among the two teams or can the cops also pull them over for endangering those on the paths.

I thought most of the blue trucks on the river bikeways are maintenance or construction vehicles.

I feel there are various different kinds of vehicles on the bike paths and not just the blue trucks. I saw one guy in a big truck going fast and honking at the bicycle in front of him to get out of the way. Just unbelievable!

And I really don’t see the police doing anything about these guys. I just don’t see it happening.

Awesome. Again, I saw police setting up a checkpoint at night and giving tickets to two scooter drivers riding on the river pathway.

I have taken the riverside park roads after sun down and have noticed that police do patrol the riverside parks.

I assume it’s not their priority, but it is on their to-do (every other day) list.