Firefighter/Police/Disaster Relief Job Questions

Hello, good friends! Roughly over a year ago, I moved back to Taiwan with my family. I have been living in America just about my entire life. Currently, I’m looking for a new job. In the past, in Taiwan, I worked as an ESL teacher teaching physical ed using English. Now, my question is, is it difficult to find a job as a firefighter/cop/disaster relief helper? My Chinese is mediocre - I have taken Chinese courses (intermediate level) when I first got here. Will there be a huge problem if a language barrier exists? :confused:

How are the salaries now in 2016-2017? If my memory served me correctly, I recalled someone in here mentioning that firefighters make about 47,000NT a month.
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-809412 <-- 2012. According to this, the Taiwanese firefighters make about 2,000USD dollars a month. So that is equivalent to 62,000NT. Not bad I suppose?

What about cops and disaster relief salaries?

I know this isn’t my last question but how do I go about applying for these jobs? Should I just walk into a station and ask if they are hiring or perhaps go to a website and apply there?

TL;DR - are firefighter, cops, disaster relief jobs worth it? Desperate to find a job - worried about my future.

Thank you and hope to hear from you! Any suggestions/tips would be appreciated!

You’re an ROC national with household registration, right?

Yes, I am.

You do realize that you may be living in close quarters in a dorm with all the other boys in blue/orange? Something to consider.

1 Like

Jobs like that may be classified as civil service or military type jobs, so you need to be careful about the work conditions. Does the Labor Standards Act apply to the position you’re interested in, and if so is there an Art. 84-1 exemption? (That basically means most of the Act doesn’t apply because your job is special.) How much overtime is normally expected? How much would the monthly salary work out to on an hourly basis? How long do you need to spend in training, and who pays for that? And so on.

1 Like

Be prepared for Snake and Bee duty:

2 Likes

Interesting information! I would have to research more about the Labor Standards Act and Art. 84-1 exemption.

Also, the snake and bee duties seem a bit irresponsible considering they aren’t specialized in that field. Although, if currently, they are trained in that respected field, then I guess I can’t really complain. It would be interesting to say the least.

Do you people know if firefighters/cops/disaster relief units get first responder discounts like in the U.S.?

Different categories have different benefits, e.g. employment insurance for most of the private sector (except most foreigners), military insurance for soldiers, civil service insurance for civil servants, and labor insurance for most of the private sector and for soldiers but not for civil servants.

You can find laws and regulations at http://law.moj.gov.tw, but some of them are only available in Chinese, and the whole system is confusing if you’re not familiar with it, so it’s best if you can find someone to explain it to you and also give you an accurate impression of the work conditions. Most people here at Forumosa work in the private sector, if I’m not mistaken. You can also have a look at www.mol.gov.tw and whatever the websites are for the jobs you’re interested in, but most of the useful information is only in Chinese.

You may get discounts on admission to museums and so on.

But you should be worried about snakes and bees, actually.

Duties related to catching snakes or removing hornet nests have led to the deaths of two firefighters and the injury of 14 since 2007, agency Disaster Rescue Division Chief Wu Wu-tai (吳武泰) said, adding that the incidents had led to troubling issues over proper compensation for firefighters.

The Ministry of Civil Service refused to fully compensate the deceased firefighters, because it does not consider pest control an official duty as stipulated by the Fire Services Act (消防法), Wu said.

As a result, the families of the deceased firefighters received about half of the compensation issued for firefighters killed in the line of duty, Wu said, adding that the difference was as much as NT$7 million (US$219,147).

:snake: :bee: :skull:

1 Like

Cop would be the best deal, with retirement packages and options for training/advancement, IMHO. Better salaries, too.

Problem would be taking the civil service tests, for all these options.

Rescue and relief is now done by the Army units. Maybe enlist and go from there?

1 Like

Thank you for the links. Very informative and they come with an English option as well. Bookmarked for future reference!

What other additional websites are there that I may use to job search? Preferably ones that come with an English option and the job listings that I’m thinking of applying to (cops/firefighters/relief). Probably useless information but I also tried contacting the Taipei Zoo to see if I can work as a researcher since I have a BS in biology. However, the email provided on the website seems to be invalid. :/.

Anyway, currently, I’m using the 401 app and will probably create a tealit (English teaching) account as a last option.

What is the problem with taking the civil service test? Is it complicated or is it because it is all in Chinese? Or perhaps a bit of both? Thank you for your time again.

Don’t expect much from the English versions of those websites! In your position I would ask family or friends for help using the Chinese versions.

As for the civil service, I’ll let Icon explain what you seem to have missed about Chinese history by going to school in a barbarian country. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Eh, I’d explain if I’d understand it myself. The tests are NOT about the task at hand, but rather the most complicated way to keep “certain” people in and others out. Only certain select after-schools or buxibans have the actual data as to what goes into the tests.

For example, most are written not only all in Chinese, but as in Sung dynasty Chinese. Tha language for starters. Th econtents are a revered secret but with enough $$$ you can get into a certain school that has the “latest” -maybe 20 to 10 years old- information and pasts tests and the “official” books to memorize.

Most people take one or two years to memorize -yes, MEMORIZE- the books, and take the tests. Some people take tests six times before they pass.

The contents as said have not much to do with actual work, may probably even be wrong, but they want the answer they want, not the right one. Keep this in mind.

That is why I was suggesting enlisting, as you will avoid all these hassles.

I am sorry if I must discourage you but taking the Civil Service tests as an Overseas Chinese seems like a gargantuan task. Ask your relatives here. And it is really not worth it. Most people just wanted the 18% and retirement perks, but those are gone. Most young people are being hired on a contract base, so they are absolutely disposable… after they are overworked, of course.

Hiring in the public sector is practically frozen and last administration fired willy nilly, as part of a “plan” to reduce the overextended workforce. It is worse in the hospital/health provider sector.

In terms or jobs as researcher, I’d look into the Academia Sinica instead, or other biotecnology institutes, ITRI or any in Hsinchu. Maybe the universities, I’d start as an administrative and move on inside. They will value your language skills a lot more, better salaries and conditions, plus a more enriching environment.

If you wnat to, you can start going to class for Civil Sevice tests. But taking those tests is a full time job by itself. It is not like GRE or any other you may have experience with in the West. Most locals cannot hold a job and prepare for the tests at the same time. So this is a biggie. Do more research and ask your relatives. If you have family “inside” then Bob’s your uncle. If you are from the South, sorry, tough luck.

1 Like

Thanks for your insight. I just would have said it’s the reincarnation of the legendary keju. :fearful: :fearful: :fearful:

1 Like

Does seem a bit discouraging :(. Thanks for the much needed info. What about the fitness field? Specifically personal trainer? Sorry if I’m asking way too much information.

If there are any personal trainers who post here, please direct them to me or give me their sn.

Also, you guys/gals have been very helpful. I really appreciate it.

Sorry to burst your hopes, but we just wanted to point out it is really dificult, to the best of our knowledge and experience. Caveat emptor, when there is a will there is a way. If you really want it, make it happen. Life will set the opportunities if you jump often enough.

Honestly, I work next to the police trainees, and really, they are quite fit :heart_eyes:

We have had several trainees through exchanges serving as firefighters temporarily, but they are official exchanges between forces.

1 Like

Seems like enlisting is an attractive choice then to avoid all of the hassle. I’m assuming alternative service, correct?

Quick question, if a person happens to fail the BMI examination or other medical requirements, receives the documents proving he/she doesn’t need to enlist anymore, but few years down the road wants to enlist in the military again, is the person eligible and can he/she pick and choose to enlist in the alternative service instead of full time military training

Another question somewhat pertaining to the above; if the person’s family member is stricken with say a stroke and only has the caregiver to take care of him, can the person pick and choose where he/she wants to be stationed at (same location as his/her father).

Lastly, how many days per week can the person come home and visit his/her family to make sure everything is okay?
Thank you again.