Fixing a HDMI port

So I plug in the HDMI to watch some shows today and tripped over the cable and fucked up my HDMI port on the computer. I checked if it’s the HDMI cord but it works with other things. I live next to Guan Hwa but I was wondering if anyone knew the estimate of how much that would cost.

Chromecast Ultra

If you are really going to replace the HDMI port itself, assuming the port is relatively isolated on the mother board and thus easy to get to, we are talking about soldering the socket off and replace it with another one, all by hand. It’s going to be really hard to find someone at Guang Hwa willing to fix it for you. Only electronic component shops would carry the HDMI sockets, and most of them don’t offer soldering service.

If you own a brand-name computer, it’s best you take it in for repairs, where their technicians would just swap out the broken motherboard for a new one, provided your computer is not too old.

Otherwise, like previously stated, go with Chromecast Ultra.

There was an article on ETToday saying how the company overcharged to fix a TV’s HDMI port for 12k NTD. No other findings though.

Skip the HDMI port and buy an HDMI to VGA adapter or just use the VGA input. I’m 99.9999% sure every monitor comes with a VGA cord.

Unless you’re watching in anything in ultra 4K high def or 3D, HDMI and VGA aren’t that big of a difference in vid quality.

I’m not sure, but I assumed Andrew was outputting video to his TV and not to his computer monitor. The HDMI cable is nice because it carries audio signals and video signals, but VGA is video only.

It may be possible to just buy a new video card that has an HDMI output on it. If you have room in your computer, you could just pop the new video card in and use that instead. You may want to take your computer to Guanghua and see what people there recommend unless you’re familiar with working on computers yourself.

We’ll need his clarification because a new VGA card isn’t possible on a laptop either. Unless I’m getting old and you can easily DIY vid cards swaps on laptops.

I haven’t bought a TV in awhile, but most TVs will have VGA/HDMI/AUX inputs right? VGA + AUX is a quick fix to issue without having to send in for repairs. Just don’t buy a cheap AUX cable.

Hmm, I think it’s time.

I just want it to hook up to my TV. I might take it there and see what they can do. It’s an aser. But what i’m getting is that it could cost a lot.

Acer…laptop?

If it’s a laptop, I’d probably forget about a repair. It’ll probably cost as much as the computer is worth. Normally, laptop repairs, if not under warranty, are not worth it.

It’s a 45k computer so I dropped some money on it. So like anything under 10k I can deal with. It’s about 6 months old

If you got it from the official source, then it’s still under warranty.

There are 3 Acer repair shops in Taipei and they open up till 9PM. They are open on Saturday but close by 6PM and they do not open on Sunday.

The one near Guanghua is:
No. 54, Section 2, Zhongxiao East Road
02 2358 2008

The flagship repair location is probably this one:
No. 21-4 Nanyang St
02 2311 6522

Even though it’s under warranty, they might not repair for free if the damage is caused by the user.

what do you mean, I just plugged it in one day and it stopped working.

1 Like

Don’t forget to bring the foreigner card with you.

I hear that usually works pretty well at customer service centers and pretty much everywhere but AIT and foreign embassies.

Uhm… didn’t you mention you tripped over the cable and fucked up your HDMI port? In this case it would be mechanical damage, most probably not covered by warranty.

Anyway, other options are, if your Acer laptop (or the docking station, if you have any) has the following other graphics connectors:

DVI to HDMI adapter (very, very cheap)
DisplayPort/DP to HDMI adapter (also not expensive at all)

i never said that, it just stopped working one day. I don’t know what happened.

I’m Lost:

I"M OBVIOUSLY NOT GOING TO TELL THEM THIS IF I CAN GET IT FIXED FOR FREEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Can you not take a hint :confused:

What I’m saying is that mechanical damage typically is very easy to detect for us computer savvy guys. Anyway, of course you’ll try to get away with it first, and try to get it repaired for free. For the case they don’t fall for it I gave you two cheap options to work around in an earlier post. Hope that helps.

You want to go to this shop in Banqiao (the one with the blue board):

Although I had the same problem and NOW they say they don’t have stock of that part (but in the past they said they could do it, but i decided to postpone it)