Foreigners Behaving Badly in Taiwan

How would @Andrew know? He has never become one.

Usually the only people who insist that foreigner who naturalized are not ā€œtrue Taiwaneseā€ are those of the foreign community.

The last few weeks of telling people I am Taiwanese and showing my TARC people have been very accepting.

3 Likes

I canā€™t wait to see you post the results of your statistical survey on that matter.

In the meantime, I am calling bullsh&t on this statement.

Guy

2 Likes

No need to single me out here. Itā€™s not news that Iā€™m not Taiwanese ā€” Iā€™ve never claimed to be Taiwanese, and Iā€™ve said more than once Iā€™m not interested in naturalizing. Great for you that youā€™ve chosen to naturalize, if thatā€™s what you want, but it doesnā€™t mean youā€™re the only one allowed to comment.

I think itā€™s pretty obvious that when the majority of people see you on the street their first thought isnā€™t ā€œoh, another Taiwanese!ā€, and I linked to a story where the media is referring to a Taiwanese citizen as ā€œVietnameseā€ because of their previous nationality.

3 Likes

But once known that Iā€™m a Taiwanese they really make sure to let everyone know.

Itā€™s honestly not a normal thing here yet and will become more normalized in the near future.

Only then could we realistically expect Taiwan to be more open to allowing dual nationality.

In factā€¦ many will even thank me for becoming a citizen and will proudly claim me as their own.

Or at least China. Iā€™d feel comfortable with that.

1 Like

So a bunch of overgrown kids acted like idiots skating around and damaged property. Iā€™d say the response was adequate, they were tracked down and made to pay the damage that in my estimation was accidental. They were not let off like they would be in Canada with a toleration of public property damage.

Talk about deportation, references to foot amputation and caning is imo a bit over the top of a response

9 Likes

Maybe they need their skateboards confiscated and to spend a night in jail watching fingerboarding videos and practicing it.

2 Likes

Brah donā€™t be hating on Druitt brah. Good people in mounty county brah. Mad hectic place brah.

2 Likes

Are you asian in appearance it might make a difference?

Yup, everyone knows that if a non ethnic SE Asian person is walking down the street most assume He/She/them is a waigwo ren.
Thatā€™s less the case in somewhere like Singapore.
I think thatā€™s obvious too and generally a correct assumption.
It also seems to be the case more often than not that Taiwanese with a dark suntan are sometimes asked ā€œWhere are you from.?ā€

Less than an hour ago I was asked ā€œWhere are you from?ā€. Those exact words.

I really donā€™t consider it to be an unreasonable conversation starter. Of course, it would be problematic if I said it to a black guy in England, but I consider it reasonable assumption to make in Taiwan.

Iā€™m white, the guy who Iā€™m assuming is Taiwanese assumed I am a foreigner.

8 Likes

Not badly, but embarrassingly. I went to a pool in Xizhi yesterday. I finished my swim and I noticed a youngish (mid twenties) Western guy get in the pool with his Taiwanese friend. He wasnā€™t wearing any goggles, which is always a sign that the swimming will be bad. And man was it ever. He got in the water and started swimming freestyle. Iā€™m sure he was closing his eyes because he headed straight toward the opposite floating lane rope. After he collided into the rope, he came up with a surprised look on his face. I guess in his mind he was swimming in a straight line.

Next up were two Indian or Pakistani guys. One was just a terrible swimmer. He had goggles but didnā€™t lower them to his eyes. He got in the water and literally just flailed his arms going almost nowhere. His friend bent down and did a kind of dive into the pool then starts to head to the opposite side of the pool. The other guy (the guy who didnā€™t use his goggles resting on his forehead) gets out of the pool and copies his friendā€™s dive. He does a lot more flailing and somehow makes it to around the middle of the pool, at which point he grabs onto a lane rope, refusing to go any farther as he could tell the pool was getting deeper and deeper. I took this as my cue to leave, which I was doing anyway but I really couldnā€™t take it anymore and so hurried things along.

The lifeguard was just watching all of this and kind of leaning forward in his perched seat. Iā€™m not sure what happened but I imagine he told them to move over to the practice lane and not go too deep. At least I hope thatā€™s what he did.

Okay, foreigner dudes who canā€™t swim. Maybe you should stick to hiking or running.

2 Likes

They didnā€™t assume that youā€™re one of the 32 white Taiwanese citizens* then? Shocker. :whistle:

(Just a made-up number obviously, though Iā€™d be interested to know what the actual number is. Maybe there are statistics out there somewhere.)

4 Likes

What an egoistical statement, then how are they going to learn and get better? Let people enjoy themself and enjoy the activity. If they are out of their depth just point them to a safe place.

12 Likes

I think it was on the Taiwan plus news a few weeks ago I can remember the exact figures but I think it was 56 new citizens discarding SEA countries (may have been just USA) and something like 22 where given special status for duel citizenship. Iā€™m a little busy now to deep dive to find if the interview is on the web, if no one finds it I will have a look later.

Edit: to revise numbers (after finding link) and adding the link

28 got citizenship under the category of foreign professional, 12 of which where from the US. So thats 28 people who got duel citizenship without renouncing I think.

https://www.taiwanplus.com/news/taiwan-news/public-policy/240301019/analysis-becoming-a-taiwanese-citizen

1 Like

Itā€™s an awkward question, and it could create a shit storm in a more multicultural society. However, itā€™s fine in Taiwan.

Yeah I donā€™t get the comment either. Plenty of bad swimmers/runners/sports players w/e here, from all different kinds of backgrounds.

I doubt that was an olympic training pool he went toā€¦

I am not a great swimmer either, should I not go to a public pool then, until I magically get better?

Let novices novice in peace lol. At least they are trying and not holing themselves up somewhere.

7 Likes

Iā€™ll let the admins that on forumosa that I met in real life be the judge of that.

@Marco ?

Thatā€™s because it is by far most likely the caseā€¦ I also assume the sameā€¦ - When others assume the same of meā€¦ it isnā€™t the end of the world. I donā€™t have a fit or go into a depression. In factā€¦ I find it amusing.

What people love is finding out that my girlfriend (Filipino) is actually not Taiwanese but rather she the ā€œWaigorenā€ and I am the Taiwanese.

Again, Taiwanese are really accepting of me being a Taiwanese and love to immediately claim me as one of their own. - They also see the fact that I renounced my Australian citizenship as very noble. - Then they think I am really smart when I tell them that I got it back less than 3 weeks from renouncing (or 8 days from application.)

4 Likes