Four wheels bad, two wheels good?

[Moderator’s note: split from this thread: [Cell phones when driving and fines ]

[quote=“hsiadogah”]
Oh, and Mordeth, will you get off this anti-car trip of yours already? A lot of people are carrying more than one passenger and/or more stuff than be safely carried on a motorcycle. Give the ‘cagers are stoopid’ thing a rest ok? The way you wank on this issue makes it sound like there’s no possible excuse for using any other form of transport save the one you have a hard-on for. :unamused:[/quote]

Hey, man…I wasted a good deal of cash buying myself a Volkswagon Polo just so I could bash people who use cars without looking like someone who is just jealous. I own a car, a nice one and I haven’t used it in over 3 weeks…

It’s rainning today though…so I’ll probably take it to work. But I take the freeway to work…so I won’t be getting in any bikers way. Cars are a good idea for families and pregnant women…but other than that…just a huge waste of time.

[quote=“Mordeth”]
It’s rainning today though…so I’ll probably take it to work. But I take the freeway to work…so I won’t be getting in any bikers way. Cars are a good idea for families and pregnant women…but other than that…just a huge waste of time.[/quote]I don’t make a habit of driving in the motorcycle lane, so how am I ever in your way?
I don’t have a family (well, other than my extended one) and I’m not a pregnant woman. Does it make me stupid because:

I want to arrive at my destination dry and clean?
I have to move stuff so bulky/heavy there’s no way it would go on a bike?
I’m on my way to pick up two buddies?
I’m going to a meeting and it’s just not socially acceptable to show up on a motorcycle?
My wife has back problems and can’t sit on a bike for more than 15 minutes without suffering a lot of pain?
I need to travel 300km to the middle of nowhere and back today and when I get home I want to still feel like a human being?

I think you are imagining that every car on the road is being used for a pointless short journey by a single, selfish occupant which could just as easily be done on a motorcycle. Hell, perhaps all of your journeys could be done by bike, but it’s foolish to assume that everyone’s transport needs are as easily met as yours. I love riding motorcycles, have done for 30+ years now, but live and let live eh? I might rather be out there on my bike, but the chances are that other responsibilities override that choice. Your unwarranted criticism does not make me feel any better about being in my car on a sunny day. OTOH, I have a lot less sympathy for you when it pisses with rain. :laughing:

][quote=“Mordeth”]It’s rainning today though…so I’ll probably take it to work. But I take the freeway to work…so I won’t be getting in any bikers way. Cars are a good idea for families and pregnant women…but other than that…just a huge waste of time.[/quote]

I’ll take the bike any chance because it feels so nice compared to the confinement of a metal box with windows.

Only concern is the confinement of a hospital bed. I’ve done that once already. Waking up on life support just once in a lifetime is plenty enough for me.

I ride in a really proactive way, looking everywhere and in the mirror to get a constant update. But, it only takes one drunken or distracted idiot behind you or crossing the road on a blind corner to change your day.

Motorcycle lane? What is this which you speak of? I think you mean the car parking and double parking lane? And when there aren’t any cars parked in it…it becomes the taxi and blue truck lane? But mind you the taxis only use that lane to avoid the excessive traffic caused by too many people driving CARS.

Yeah…pretty much. And although many people probably have valid reasons (like yourself) to drive cars…I’m guessing the majority are just selfish, wasteful and ignorant to the amount of their life being wasted sitting in a cage.

From my house to my old school on a bike 5-7 minutes…in a car 20-40 minutes. I worked in the middle of downtown…so this is an extreme example…but most examples are.

[quote=“Mordeth”]
Motorcycle lane? What is this which you speak of? I think you mean the car parking and double parking lane?[/quote]
Sidewalk
Motorcycles
Pot
Kettle
Black

[quote=“hsiadogah”][quote=“Mordeth”]
Motorcycle lane? What is this which you speak of? I think you mean the car parking and double parking lane?[/quote]
Sidewalk
Motorcycles
Pot
Kettle
Black

Did I forget to patent this?

What is that about the sincerest form of flattery? :slight_smile:

Oh noes1!!1, did I forget to credit you? Sorry bud… :blush: :smiley:

I’m like Switzerland on this one… nuetral but think both sides have a point…

Given almost any journey anywhere in Taiwan, I will always choose my GS, if that’s unfeasible for security reasons, my Majesty is second choice, and only if there’s a damn good reason I’ll take the car…

But like Hsidogah says, there are often times very legitimate damn good reasons… having stuff to move around, doing a monthly shop, pissing with rain, hot as hell, got a meeting that you’ve got to look the part for, travelling with more than one other person are all deal breakers for taking the bike… Also my wife needs to get things done that fall into the above categories but she can’t drive the manual transmission company car… so far reasons that are largely pragmatic and practical we had to get a car…

since I’m a tall bugger and I’ll not be using the car for any recreational performance based tarting around (as if you can really do that on Taiwanese roads to any degree of satisfaction) and most of my driving will be stop start city, city, city I wanted something compact, and preferably European… with oil prices likely to do nothing but sky rocket I also wanted something economical… Taiwan being what it is I wanted something built solid with proper safety features…

so last weekend I put pen to paper and in August I will be the proud owner of a new 2005 1.9 Golf TDi… roomy interior, compact, torquey, economical, stylish, safe, european, and just maybe quite fun…

will I be any more inclinded to drive it rather than ride?.. a little but i doubt it’ll ever become first choice… like Mordeth said a 15min ride to downtown Taichung becomes a 40min seething, steaming, disbelieving, traffic chocked, nightmare punctuated by frustration and moments of blinding rage… thats before you start trying to find a parking space…

I’ll always prefer the GS, but there are some situations where 4 wheels is the only answer…:idunno:

is diesel easy to get?

pray tell how much for the 1.8TDI? how much in taxes and registration per year?

sure, you can get diesel at 99.9% of Taiwanese gas stations…

the list price for the '05 1.9 Golf TDi is NT$900,000 which is NT$40,000 more than the 1.6 gasoline engine model which has half the torque and less horsepower… since diesel is NT$7 per liter cheaper than 98 gas, and the Golf has a 55 liter tank, I figure it won’t take too long to pay for itself… Also the car is 100% built and assembled in Germany and it is Euro spec, which is nice… it has a feeling of solid quality German-ness about it right down to the smallest details…

also the list price of 900k is the list price… you’d have to be an eedjit to actually pay that, although strangely it’s not much more than the list price in Europe, so VW Taiwan must be operating on some strict guidelines from Germany which is good… strangely VW Taiwan chooses to import all Golf’s with almost all optional extras already included…

lastly if anyone’s interested in the GTi ( I was) it’ll run you a shade under 1.4 million(pay now) and they will deliver the car earliest March 2006 !!! :noway:

Plasma -
The TDi sounds like a great vehicle for Taiwan. And as you mention the quality should also make it a good long term value.
Please keep us up to date on how the vehicle works for your needs.

[quote=“plasmatron”]sure, you can get diesel at 99.9% of Taiwanese gas stations…

the list price for the '05 1.9 Golf TDi is NT$900,000 which is NT$40,000 more than the 1.6 gasoline engine model which has half the torque and less horsepower… since diesel is NT$7 per liter cheaper than 98 gas, and the Golf has a 55 liter tank, I figure it won’t take too long to pay for itself… Also the car is 100% built and assembled in Germany and it is Euro spec, which is nice… it has a feeling of solid quality German-ness about it right down to the smallest details…

also the list price of 900k is the list price… you’d have to be an eedjit to actually pay that, although strangely it’s not much more than the list price in Europe, so VW Taiwan must be operating on some strict guidelines from Germany which is good… strangely VW Taiwan chooses to import all Golf’s with almost all optional extras already included…

lastly if anyone’s interested in the GTi ( I was) it’ll run you a shade under 1.4 million(pay now) and they will deliver the car earliest March 2006 !!! :noway:[/quote]

Word of warning to anyone contemplating buying a diesel powered car.

The fuel nozzle for diesel is thinner than the one for petrol, and the vast majority of fuel stations here in Taiwan currently do not have the thinner nozzle, only the thick one that is applicable for trucks etc. This little issue seemed to get missed when Taiwan allowed diesel powered cars into Taiwan.

:laughing: Sorry plasma…but the above post is kinda funny. I can imagine you pulling up at certain stations on an empty tank and trying to spray the fuel down without being able to put the nozzel down the tanks throat…hehe. Maybe you could buy one of those red fuel carriers…then if the gas station isn’t compatible you could fill the carrier and then use that to fill the car.

luckily VW is agead of the game… the sales guy specifically mentioned that the fuel nozzle is suitable for arse-backwards Taiwanese gas station’s diesel pumps…

[quote=“plasmatron”]strangely VW Taiwan chooses to import all Golfs with almost all optional extras already included[/quote]Not really strange. Even a base model Yue Loong comes with power windows, ac etc. etc. so try selling a US or European base spec VW here and sales will be zero. Typical Taiwan spec for an import car will go like this: Interior, highest luxo spec with leather and power everything. Audio: Cheapest option available. Powertrain: Auto trans mated with the weakest engine available. Bumpers: JDM (lightest possible). Suspension/brake package: Softest springs and smallest, weakest brakes available. If drums are available off-the-shelf, fit those in back. Fit extra chrome bits, the biggest wing and loudest graphics package available. Create louder graphics package if that’s insufficient to attract the Taike.

[quote=“Traveller”]The fuel nozzle for diesel is thinner than the one for petrol, and the vast majority of fuel stations here in Taiwan currently do not have the thinner nozzle, only the thick one that is applicable for trucks etc. This little issue seemed to get missed when Taiwan allowed diesel powered cars into Taiwan.[/quote]The restrictor plate in the car’s filler is pretty easy to open up, though you may feel a bit miffed about taking a hammer and punch to a brand new 900k car…

OT: I had an engine ruined once when a gas station replaced a diesel pump’s nozzle with a green one for high test. (They had just switched a high test pump to diesel, but didn’t have an extra grey nozzle). The kid didn’t notice, I only looked at the green nozzle, not what it was connected to, and the damage was done before I knew what happened. One V6 engine quickly converted to V5… :s

Plasmatron, suggest you check this out pronto with one or two gas stations, i do not believe that VW would change the restrictor plate which is standard just to suit a tiny market like Taiwan. If it is some form of local fix then be doubly worried.

[quote=“hsiadogah”]

OT: I had an engine ruined once when a gas station replaced a diesel pump’s nozzle with a green one for high test. (They had just switched a high test pump to diesel, but didn’t have an extra grey nozzle). The kid didn’t notice, I only looked at the green nozzle, not what it was connected to, and the damage was done before I knew what happened. One V6 engine quickly converted to V5… :s[/quote]

Also OT: Were you able to sue? Or get some kind of compensation through a lawyer?

[quote=“Mordeth”]Were you able to sue? Or get some kind of compensation through a lawyer?[/quote]WOT: Weeellll… Let’s just say that the engine actually in the vehicle was a V6, but on the rego it was an 800cc triple… :wink: I argued the toss with the manager for some time, but obviously he couldn’t sort me out from petty cash. I figured that they would immediately latch onto the wrong engine thing as being the cause of their mistake (:roll:) and not wanting to get the Spanish Inquisition (which I expected) over why the engine in my van had three cylinders and two liters too many, I didn’t have much choice but to accept some paisays and a tank of high test as compensation. I happened to have a spare engine laying around anyway. :wink:

tinyurl.com/drg4s Exclusive C6 Z06 vid

c6 is so nice wow…

It’s nice…but why spend 75,000 American for a car that does the quarter mile in “the mid 11s”. When you could buy even a smaller (600cc) sportsbike which does the quarter mile a second faster and only costs 9,000 American.

I’d like to apologize in advance to all the car lovers…Yes, I know I like bikes…too much. Cars are for luxury and bikes are for speed. And with only two seats…you aren’t getting much luxury out of the vette.

But in the Vette’s defense it does have about 6 times more torque than my bike…and I can’t imagine how cool that would feel. :beer: