Game of Thrones Discussion (may contain spoilers)

First episode did nothing but remind us who everybody is and how they’re related or why they despise one another. Barely any progress made in the story itself.

It is alarming how cute Daenerys and John Snow are together, though.

Yeah short couples are cute.

How does everyone watch GoT? Options I know so far are HBO Asia subscription, VPN from US, find some other free torrent or stream site. Previously I watched by purchasing from Amazon, but seems only available with HBO subscription, which isn’t available outside of Amazon US. Any suggestions for streaming it that are not of dubious legality?

I stream from HBO via Amazon using a VPN. Right now they have a free trial of HBO for 7 days.

You can try fmovies.

1 Like

Leslie is my mood.

1 Like

I mean, it was nice seeing the Stark kids all back in Winterfell, but aside from that, not too much happened.

It seems like it’ll pick up next episode and ending will be a battle between north and south.

There were a few nice scenes here and there, but the dialogue…my God, you can see the last book is not finished and everything is in the hands of people who would be better off writing episodes of the big bang theory or stuff like that.

Someone: says anything
Another character: smug reply + smirk

There were a couple of scenes during which they could have easily added a laugh track and Sheldon showing up and saying:“AWKWARD”. There’s a handful of characters in GoT that have had that smug attitude since the very beginning, but if they start writing 80% of the dialogue in that way just because the audience likes it, it loses effectiveness.

My favorite scene was the blue eyes joke (and everything surrounding it). The setting was interesting, the scene was played well and the lines given to the actors made sense according to their characters (a fairly dumb observation done by a character that we like but that hasn’t really stood up as a beacon of knowledge, followed by a very simplistic reply by an extremely down-to-earth character).

There’s only one director and one writer listed for this first episode. I find it really hard to believe, because some scenes looked beautiful while others were film student level. Without spoiling anything, the Neverending Story-like ride was atrocious, a potentially interesting rescue mission by a character we’ve known since day 1 was completed mainly offscreen in 30 seconds (???), a few dialogues were shot with just over the shoulder framing going back and forth between the two actors…just awful stuff. Then you have the part of the blue eyes joke that is very well filmed with great lightning, the beginning with the kid climbing a tree to have a better view of what is going on that serves as a way to show us what is going on, the several parallels with season 1 episode 1…

I mean, either the writer and director are both bipolar , or there are some people who didn’t get credited. (or it could also be the producer saying:“Hey, I know you’d like to do THIS, but the audience likes THAT and this is the last season so we need to absorb more shekels”)

1 Like

1 Like

The few episodes and clips I’ve seen all featured extremely cringy dialogue. Enough to keep me from ever watching this show.

The first 3 seasons were great, with smug/cringy dialogue being used sparingly and on point. After that, it started to go dowhill. Everything regarding the sand snakes and Dorne (starting from season 4/5) had some dialogues that I still can’t believe made it in the final cut. Those seasons as a whole were still good, but there were bad signs here and there.

S8E1 has been the pits so far, and it had no real redeeming factor. No epic battle, no huge plot wist, nothing really interesting. Just characters dropping smug lines at each other and smirking a lot.

I’m sort of willing to give them a pass plot-wise because it was the first episode after a two years break and many people need to be reminded where everyone is, what is going on etc etc, not everyone has read all the books and/or watched all the episodes several times, so it’s ok to have a bland first episode. But there’s no excuse for the awful dialogue.

1 Like

I probably saw those sparlingly-used dialogue as I’m pretty sure the episode I saw was like from season 2 or 3. It was years ago. I remember that Sansa girl was saying she was a virgin when this middle-aged woman started pinching her and screamed “I WILL FUCK MY LOVER ALL NIGHT LONG” or something along the line of that. It was remarkably stupid.

The other clip I saw was on youtube where several major characters had some lame-ass exchanges. I think that was from one of the later seasons and it was so poorly-written and vapid.

But, but it is not the end. We have the prequels next year. However, if they go with the space travel/witty dialogue/funky storylines that you have mentioned, yep, they need all the shekels they can.

Oh I’m sure that by the end of the year, after the disappointment for a trash ending of GoT has started to fade, there will be a trailer for: Game of Thrones: Season 0

soyface

“Learn how Cersei developed her love for wine!!! Find out where Sansa used to play hide & seek with a farmer boy!! And don’t miss this opportunity…to see good ol’ Ned Stark back in action!!11!!one”

"TIME TO RENEW THAT HBO SUBSCRIPTION, BOIS"

Going to tough to resolve everything in the little time they have. That I can agree on.

But F it, some GoT is better than no GoT.

If the leaks are right, yep, it will be dissapointing. And the poor fans will not even have the consolation of having the book´s end; alas, I do not think the writer cares anymore about this story. Just the kachin!

But will it be worse than Star Wars IX ?

Cha bu duo le.

It can, but let’s hope it isn’t.

Yes. It’s our New Hope