Gardening tips

Hey all

I just moved into an apartment with a rooftop area to plant flowers. I was thinking about growing a little vegetable garden. anyone know what would grow good here? I’m in Kaohsiung if that makes any difference.

thanks to anyone with advice or smartass comments.

AG

If I wasn’t hemmed in by light-blocking buildings, I’d be planting stuff you don’t often find here in the markets, such as courgettes, vine tomatoes, stuff like that. You can get the seeds here, plus things like grow-bags and everything else you need.

Perhaps you could send a PM to a poster called “fought” - he has some gardening contacts. :wink:

i find herbs grow well esp thing like rosemary and thyme. veggie wise i agree with sandy… vine ripened toms

Or is it fight?

Good thing to grow in Taiwan:

• Mint
  • Basil
  • Parsley (the bugs wont’ even eat it)
  • Sage
  • Oregano (not fought’s kind)
  • Chives
  • Chilipeppers
  • Pumpkins
  • Lemongrass
    Takes some work:
  • Rosemary (too much rain kills it)
    Takes lots of work
  • Salad greens (feral cats eat it :astonished: , rain kills it, bugs eat it)

You can buy flower pots of these (or seeds) at the Neihu flower market. You can transfer them to a bigger ‘pot’ like a wine crate so you have a ready store. Soil and everything else is readily available like Sandman said.

The poor sod’s in Gaoxiong, so he won’t be buying his planting utensils in Neihu.

I have seen msot of what you need in the Local Geant. they have 20-30 different kinds of plant seeds here in Yangmei. Apart from that, there’s always B&Q, which is likely to have a few outlets in Gaoxiong.

I grow bananas and mulberries, and I am also working on getting a coffee bush to grow. I am trying to grow grass too, but not with the greatest measure of success.

Careful there Mr He – you’ll be getting “fought” all excited with that admission. :laughing:

I just got given a couple of pots of home-made mulberry jam from the mother-in-law. It’s very good indeed. Ideal for any self-respecting jam-lover.

Careful there Mr He – you’ll be getting “fought” all excited with that admission. :laughing:

I just got given a couple of pots of home-made mulberry jam from the mother-in-law. It’s very good indeed. Ideal for any self-respecting jam-lover.[/quote]

Well, yoiu’d wish, however given the number of people watching this foreign inhabited house, I would not dare to grow that kidn of grass.

No, I grow Korean grass - which dies of you lookk at it. Also carpet grass, which is better to step on, but which tends to leave bald spots unless you use tonnes of fertilizer.

That’s really cool. Do you plan to harvest the beans and roast them? What’s involved as far as money, time, and effort in getting this thing to grow?

To the OP: I started a similar thread to yours a while back. Check it out. My post sort of withered on the vine, but it’s a great subject and I plan to keep an eye on your thread. forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … &&start=10

I live out in Zhao1 Ming2, which is in Gao Xiong county about 11k to the East of Town. Looking around in the fields near the village, It’s amazing how many vegetables can be grown here.
My mother inlaw has a 2 acre plot in Da Ping Ding, and we get a steady supply of provisions from that. In August we got Okra and squash, and starting around December she started giving us lettuce and greens… 2 or three varieties of each, and then the best tasting white onions I’ve ever had. Now it’s string beans and more greens. She likes to plant a lot of greens, and I like to to eat a lot of greens: Life is good!

Okay, I’m in HK, but I guess that’s similar to Kaohsiung. I got lemongrass, basil, parsley, rosemary, Thai chilli, some citrony Thai herb, two different Thai Basils, aloe vera, kapow (Thai herb) . . . a kitchen garden, but highly satisfying. Tomatoes are coming up soon.

HG

That’s really cool. Do you plan to harvest the beans and roast them? What’s involved as far as money, time, and effort in getting this thing to grow?[/quote]

Let’s see, I paid NT$20 or NT$30 for 5 little coffee bushes - IE the size of my thumb at a small gardening center.

When I got home, I potted them out - think I paid NT$50 per pot. Potting soil was NT$100 or so, but I use that for other things as well.

Then a bit of fertilizer.

so far 3 are alive, and they ar growing too damn slowly.

I have spent very little time on them not enough, actually.

I suggest planting some basic kitchen herbs, as was metioned above, or try for fruit trees…papaya is easy, avocado, and tomato are some of the ones that will really grow well in Taiwan with little to no care…just regular watering will pretty much do it…

I haven’t had the success that you’ve had as each year I grow one (or one grows on its own) - and then in the second year they get killed by a Typhoon. :frowning: Makes great thai papaya salad though doesn’t it

OH, MY GAWD! OH, MY GAWD!

Girls! Girls! Quickly, over here! Men are talking about gardening!

It’s SOOOOOOOOOO CUUUUUUUUUUTE!!!

oops - double post

[quote=“tash”]OH, MY GAWD! OH, MY GAWD!

Girls! Girls! Quickly, over here! Men are talking about gardening!

It’s SOOOOOOOOOO CUUUUUUUUUUTE!!![/quote]

:noway:

Well, in my family, my grandfather took care of the garden. Even my parents roses. My dad does the gardening helped by my mom, and here I do it with my girls enlisted for some of the weed-pulling once in a while.

So no, for most normal men it’s not cute, rather a fact of life, actually.

Let me know if your lawn needs additional trimming.

Yeah, right. Easy to say that now that you know very well I don’t have a lawn. :unamused:

Where were you two years ago?

thanks for the replies. wasn’t sure if anyone would bother to respond.

Avocadoes would be sweet but i imagine that would take a while. Same with the bananas. I have no buildings around me so the tomatoes should work. The only kinds of herbs i care for i wouldn’t want to get caught growing here. i might try some basil just for the hell of it.
the whole bush trimming thing is something i’d rather keep a personal matter but you guys feel free to discuss.

off to BandQ .

cheers

AG

[quote=“atomicgrunion”]Avocadoes would be sweet but i imagine that would take a while. Same with the bananas. I have no buildings around me so the tomatoes should work. The only kinds of herbs i care for I wouldn’t want to get caught growing here. I might try some basil just for the hell of it.
the whole bush trimming thing is something I’d rather keep a personal matter but you guys feel free to discuss.
[/quote]

Bananas take a year or so but you will need the biggest pot you can get at B&Q. If you ask around, you can get one for free, that was what I did.

Passion fruit are also very easy to grow here. All you need is a fence or wall to hang the vine on, though my wife tells me that snakes like to live in it. You don’t even have to water it.

Wow - bananas. I didn’t even think of that.