Getting married and applying for JFRV

Yes I know. Perhaps I didn’t put that very well. If the validity is up to the officer’s discretion, then there is a lot of room for flexibility on different grounds. It’s obvious that flexibility is often used to benefit favored groups or individuals. I raised the observation that holders of certain passports always seem to need to produce evidence of sufficient funds to obtain visitor visas, while holders of 1st world passports seemingly never need to do so, even though the regulations state that everyone may have to provide these documents. It’s well known that this kind of thing is institutional and it is naturally unpopular. I’m suggesting that in this atmosphere of distrust, it may well be that the agency now responsible for handling ARC applications have issued blanket instructions to their officers rather than allowing them to use their own discretion, in order to avoid the charges of favoritism / racism which are often levelled at the consular service.

Well, in this case they are at least treating us all equally badly. I’d been in Taiwan for over 10 years when I first applied for a JFRV and most of that time I’d had an ARC, a steady job, and paid my taxes on time. They still only gave me one year.

Maybe the answer is that they are just making work for themselves to justify their staffing levels and budgets. Maybe we are looking for signs of logic where none exists.

I’d be interested to hear how your friend got 3 years though…

Ah, much clearer now.

But the issuance of longer visas need not be based on discretion. They could give 1-year ARCs for applicants who’ve spent under 3 years in Taiwan previously, 2-year ones for 3 to 7 years, and so on.

After getting the marriage certificate, don’t forget to take it and a notarized English copy to your embassy (e.g., AIT) to have them produce a “notarized affidavit re: recognition of marriage in Taiwan” which shows that your home country has been informed of and recognizes your marriage. Only then can you apply for the JFRV.

Somehow this item didn’t make it onto my list of things to take. The lady at MOFA said most people don’t know about this document and fail to bring it. Not sure if it’s a new requirement or what.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]After getting the marriage certificate, don’t forget to take it and a notarized English copy to your embassy (e.g., AIT) to have them produce a “notarized affidavit re: recognition of marriage in Taiwan” which shows that your home country has been informed of and recognizes your marriage. Only then can you apply for the JFRV.

Somehow this item didn’t make it onto my list of things to take. The lady at MOFA said most people don’t know about this document and fail to bring it. Not sure if it’s a new requirement or what.[/quote]
It must be a new one because I was not asked for this. Or maybe she’s just pulling rules out of her ass. It wouldn’t be the first time.
Having a document notarized by your trade mission or whatever does not imply in any way that your country recognizes your marriage! As far as the country of my birth is concerned the ROC does not exist and they will not recognize my marriage or allow us to register it there.

I wouldn’t doubt it. And it doesn’t really make any sense to require that AIT look at my locally issued marriage certificate in order for MOFA to provide me a JFRV. The locally issued certificate logically suffices to show that I’m married here. It’s total bullshit.

I agree, but if they hold up a dung-smeared hoop, all I can do is jump through it.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]I agree, but if they hold up a dung-smeared hoop, all I can do is jump through it.[/quote]Mine were shit-smeared AND on fire, but hey… circus-hound hears and obeys.

After reading this thread and talking to a few people, I am a bit confused about the criminal record check in the USA. I called my local city police department and they said they can get one the same day. On the state level (Colorado) they can do a simple record search online, however to do a fingerprint criminal record check I would have to send in the fingerprint card. It seems they can do this rather quickly as well, once they receive the fingerprints. However, I have one friend whom told me he needed an FBI AND a local city check. My head is about to spin. Is there no one definitive check I can get? Or does it just depend on what the person you get when you apply?

We made three different phone calls to MOFA as a check on the consistency of rule application regarding the source of the CCRD (clean criminal record doc.). Every time, they said they didn’t care what level of police dept. it was from. I turned that in last week, and they accepted it. My own experience is that a local city police letter, preferably notarized by the police dept.'s own notary, then mailed to TECO (if you’re American) will do just fine. Don’t forget the bank draft and the notarized passport copy.

As insurance, I ALSO requested the application form from my state police, who do a fuller record check including fingerprints, but the form to apply didn’t even arrive until a couple days before I turned in the TECO-notarized local city police letter, so the whole check would have been about a month slower. I’d recommend you do the same – ask for the local version, and get the paperwork based on that moving posthaste. But perhaps request the application form for the state-level check in the meantime as backup. Be sure to let us know how it turns out for you.

Did ANYONE here get told in the last year or two that a local check wasn’t enough?

If you’re in a hurry, don’t forget to make your appointments with AIT (if you’re American) in advance for your notarizations (single status affidavit; passport copy; and after the marriage, a marriage affidavit). While waiting for your local police CCRD to arrive, contact your TECO office (the Taiwanese pseudo-embassy closest to your hometown) to see what their fees and documentation requirements are for this, including translation and notarization requirements (we weren’t asked for a translation since the original was English, which they now accept; and my hometown police had already notarized it). Also prepare the bank draft for the fees in advance, and get express envelopes filled out in advance, so when the CCRD arrives, you can have it in the hands of UPS or whomever within an hour. At that point you rush off for the health check and make an appointment with a notary for the wedding. Have your info all organized, your contact numbers and addresses all in a notebook, your timelines drawn out etc., extra photos and photocopies of everything made in advance, and you might be able to get this done in a few weeks like I did (exactly 30 days, I think, from beginning the process of collecting documentation to submitting the application for the JFRV at MOFA; and 40 days total to receipt of the JFRV-based ARC).

I think the “notarized affidavit re: recognition of marriage in Taiwan” depends on the country you come from. I didn’t need one. In fact, after I was married I called the Canadian embassy about registering my marriage and was told that it is not necessary.

Well, if you did the JFRV more than a couple years ago, it could be a rule change.

Second, the US doesn’t require it; it is a requirement by MOFA to apply for a JFRV, and they apparently negotiated with AIT to provide an affidavit form. So if MOFA requires it, it’s hard to see why it would depend on your nationality. But perhaps it does. Bureaucracy has been known to spawn stranger discrepancies.

It’s really bullshit, because AIT isn’t actually ‘recognizing’ your marriage. They’re merely notarizing your own sworn affidavit stating that you are married. But that’s ridiculous, because you’ve got the actual marriage certificate in hand, which is much stronger evidence of marriage. Ludicrous, really.

It used to be that BOCA kept a list of which countries they knew didn’t have any formal household or marriage registry for overseas marriages and just exempted people from those countries from that requirement. They apparently no longer do that.

Soon off to Hongkong for a Visa-run.

Situation short-described:
Curently here on a student-arc, will change in Hongkong into joining-family-resident-visa.
Office stated clearly I have to go abroad, which is fine for me.

I come from Germany and before getting married in Taiwan I need to supply a paper I was
a single , therefore marrieable …
At that time this (in Germany issued multi-language document) was stamped by the taiwan
office in Germany.
I HAD to authenticated this paper at MOFA before giving it to our district court to get married.

I need to present in Hongkong my clean police record and a document in which my country
acknowledge my wedding is also regristered in my native home-country.

Both documents are again stamped by the same taiwan office in Germany.
In detail the regristration of our wedding is organised the same way like my single-certificate.

However the police-record is a combination of 2 papers. The original is written in german and
we wrote the chinese translation.
The german version is stamped and our chinese version stamped in a different way, saying that
the content is correct.

Get to the point now:
Today I was at MOFA to stamp these 3 papers again for 400NT$ each, but the lady said this is
not neccessary. First time I hear this … Is that true ??

My question why is then was neccessary with my first brought in document (my single-certificate)
she said, that paper was for another institution (the district-court, which is right), so it had to
be checked a second time.

But in this (now current case) the papers (german wedding-regristration and police crime record)
are for VISA purpose, so all the institutions

• the taiwan office in germany
  • MOFA in Taiwan
  • the travel agency (the defacto embassy) in Hongkong
    are ALL related each other, so just ONE stamp is suffient enough !!

But this one stamp must be done in that related country the documents are issued from …

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT ??
1.200 NT$ is a lot money for me, but I am scared because of this information may be not valid
in Hongkong, and I don’t want to do Visitor-Visa first changing again in Taiwan …

Please help me, your suggestions / opinion are highly appreciate

Besides:
Do I have to stamp the household regristration ??
Household regristration in chinese enough, or do the need the english version too ??
Do I have to stamp the health-certificate ??

Do I have to present stamped / authenticated copies of my and wife’s passport and wife’s ID-Card ??

I have been trying to document the process as I go through it.

http://taipeiguide.blogspot.com/2007/05/marriage-in-taiwan.html

[quote=“MoTi”]
1.200 NT$ is a lot money for me[/quote]

Surely, you’re joking. Must be an “Ossi” :laughing: :wink:

I haven’t had the time to read all the previous posts on this thread, however here are a few little snags and inconveniences in my experience dealing with my application. I swear I have been down to the immigration office at least on 5 different occasions coming out empty-handed because of some reason.

Your current visa must have at least 7 days left on it to apply for the JFRV.

If your not living at the place where you are registered on the household registration, bring a copy of your rental agreement. They will turn you away if you don’t have it. I tried to use a phone bill to prove this, but it was a no go. Actually this was my bad. It does state something to this affect on the back of the application.

After you get your visa and want to apply for your ARC, your spouse must be there physically at the time of the application. Can anyone tell me where this rule is written?

My criminal record check was from the city, not the county, state or federal. (USA) Yay! However, TECO (Kansas City) took their sweet time to approve it.

If you are from the USA the fee for the visa is a whopping 5100$nt Boo!

The people at the visa office are nice. The people at the immigration office are witches who seem to nitpick every detail looking for some reason to deny your application and make it as inconvenient as possible.

Mine is still not finished yet…

Regarding the single status certificate for South Africans, apparently there has been a change to the regulation permitting this:

Any single status certificates issued by the Department of Home Affairs needs to firstly be authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in South Africa, then authenticated by the TECO office, thereafter it gets authenticated by MOFA Taiwan.

I took a day off work to find this out the hard way. Now I’ve had to courier my certificate to SA for my family to try and get this authentication done for me. They live 500km’s from the nearest TECO office.

Somebody please shoot me. This is bloody torture. My singleness has to be authenticated 4 times before I can get married. There has to be another way. :help:

[quote=“snowy”]Regarding the single status certificate for South Africans, apparently there has been a change to the regulation permitting this:

Any single status certificates issued by the Department of Home Affairs needs to firstly be authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in South Africa, then authenticated by the TECO office, thereafter it gets authenticated by MOFO Taiwan.

I took a day off work to find this out the hard way. Now I’ve had to courier my certificate to SA for my family to try and get this authentication done for me. They live 500km’s from the nearest TECO office.

Somebody please shoot me. This is bloody torture. My singleness has to be authenticated 4 times before I can get married. There has to be another way. :help:[/quote]

Shit. When did this happen?

I went to the SA office maybe two weeks ago. I filled out a single’s status form, and they sent that off to SA - said it would be back in a couple of months and that would be that. They also took my fingerprints, so that I could get the clean criminal record check thing done. However, all the paperwork pertaining to that needs to be sorted out by me - couriering it to SA etc. I think the procedure goes:

1. Send fingerprints and forms to parents.
  2. They courier it up to Pretoria to the police there.
  3. Police do their thing and courier it back to parents.
  4. Parents take criminal record check to TECO office to have it stamped and authorised or whatever.
  5. Parents courier it back to me.

But the actual single’s status thing… Didn’t realise that needed to get authenticated by a TECO office in SA. After all, the SA office here are the ones doing all the sending and receiving with that particular document. Seems rather counterproductive (but not unbelievable!!) that the SA office would do 75% of the legwork, and then once you get your single’s status wossname you have to send it back to SA again.

Will have to wait and see. Nothing I can do now, seeing as ball has been set rolling etc.

In the meantime, go to home-affairs.gov.za/services … c=Marriage to check for yourself that you haven’t been inadvertently married off as part of an immigration scam or something.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4059731.stm
news24.com/News24/South_Afri … 28,00.html

[quote=“Kahna”]

1. Shit. When did this happen?

2. After all, the SA office here are the ones doing all the sending and receiving with that particular document. Seems rather counterproductive…[/quote]

3. Apparently the regulation changed around Chinese New Year. But I got no warning from the Liaison Office when I applied.

4. Exactly my point. The Liaison Office applies to the relevant authority on our behalf and receives the certification on our behalf, but cannot say that the document they applied for and received is genuine/authentic. :loco:

[quote=“snowy”]

1. Apparently the regulation changed around Chinese New Year. But I got no warning from the Liaison Office when I applied.
  2. Exactly my point. The Liaison Office applies to the relevant authority on our behalf and receives the certification on our behalf, but cannot say that the document they applied for and received is genuine/authentic. :loco:[/quote]

Do you know how much time it will take for the certification to be authenticated back in SA?

How did you find out that the certification needed to be sent back to SA for authentification? Did the Liason Office tell you, or did you try and get married and found out then?

I got my certificate back within a month of applying, which was a miracle in itself, because the SA government is not exactly know for its efficiency.

When I collected the certificate I asked the Liaison Office if they could stamp it, expecting that MOFA would want to see that. They said they couldn’t because the regulation had changed. That’s when I knew something was dodgy, so I went to Plan B and asked if they could stamp a copy to say it was authentic and try that approach with MOFA. The lady at MOFA took one look at that and said that there was no way for them to authenticate the certificate as they need the stamp that says the original is a geniune document… hence the dilemma.

I called the Liaison Office again and explained what happened afterwhich they suggested the approach in my earlier post… which I’m going to try… :taz: