Getting to Fulong beach from Taipei

Hi, I’m a recent arrival to Taiwan (great country btw :slight_smile: )and I was hoping to go to Fulong beach.
I don’t know how the metro works exactly as I only got here two days ago nut I’m wondering; how would I get there (via bus or metro) to Fulong beach from the Da’an district in Taipei city?
Can I get there just be the metro or what buss can I get?

Any help would be great.

I know I’m a useless foreigner :wink:

I don’t think the MRT runs quite that far. I always took a train from Taipei Main. I think there are buses from that area of the city as well.

I go to Fulong quite often from Taipei.

Take the MRT to Taipei Main Station. Follow the signs to get to the TRA (Taiwan Railway Association) where you can purchase a train ticket to Fulong. If it’s the weekend, however, you may have a hard time getting a seat (you can always get a non-reserved ticket and chance standing the entire way).

You can also take the bus, which will guarantee you a seat. Kuo Kuang Bus#1811/1812 (國光客運, also called King Bus) goes between Taipei and Fulong. Catch the bus at Taipei West Bus Station Terminal A.

How to get to Taipei West Bus Station Terminal A: Once you exit the MRT at Taipei Main Station, look at the signs and maps on the walls, and look for Station Front Metro Mall and the “Z” exits. Make your way toward the mall and Z exits. At exit Z3, go up some stairs to ground level and you’ll be right at the Taipei West Bus Station Terminal A. This site even has photos to guide you: http://taipeitoairport.blogspot.tw/2012/05/best-way-to-get-to-taoyuan-airport-from.html. When you arrive in Fulong you’ll exit at a huge parking lot with a visitor’s center.

Hope this helps. By the way, you aren’t a useless foreigner :sunglasses:

There are buses from the Main station to Fulong. The ride along the coast once past Keelung is really nice. But the easiest way is to go by Train from Taipei Main Station. Take the MRT to the Main Station. Then buy tickets at the TRA ticket station on the main floor.

Be aware that Taipei Main Station has the MRT subway, the TRA regular trains and the HSR high speed rail.

You want to get tickets for the TRA trains heading to the East Coast of Taiwan. They have different ticket stations for WEst Taiwan and East Taiwan.

Most any trains stop in Fulung. Take the Taroko Express OR the new Puyuma Express (newer version of the Taroko express).

Will be less then an hour with these trains. Up to 90 mins on slower trains. The train ride is nice too. Good scenery and lots of tunnels.

It may be easier to go there by train and then take the bus back. Just board any bus that said KEELUNG (and transfer from there to Taipei via many local trains or buses) or TAIPEI. The TAIPEI buses will likely be heading towards ChongShiao E. Rd and/or Taipei Main station.

There are buses from Keelung to Fulung as well.

oh, someone already posted bout the train :slight_smile:

Lads you are amazing
I have no excuses now. I’ll be there in no time :slight_smile:

I’ll probably take the bus for convenience and the view. I took a bus ride before and I feel I got to see the true slice of Taiwan. Also it is cheaper :slight_smile:

It just so happens that that train ride has awesome views in parts.

OP, get a guidebook. Any guidebook. Even one for Thailand if only to remind you that such things exist to help a newbie in a strange country. :wink:

OT, I know, but OP, be advised that Fulong is like a circus in these weeks: I can’t believe how many people manage to squeeze on that beach and in the village.

No, no, no, Tommy. Fulong is but a fly past for most express trains. Puyuma stops at Songshan and Ilan, and Taroko doesn’t stop at Fulong either.

One needs to get a Fu-Hsing Local Train to be able to get off in Fulong.

Protip: Take the MRT to Longshan Temple instead and walk over to Wanhua Station, and get the same train from there instead. It’s much easier to get a seat before main station.

A number of express trains do stop at Fulong. The newer ones (Taroko, Puyuma) do not. I’m not sure about Here is the express train schedule for next Saturday from Taipei Main Station. The first time is the Taipei departure time. The second is arrival in Fulong. Getting on at Wanhua is a good idea.

Chu Kuang Express
72 - Shulin→Taitung 06:50 07:46 00h 56m
Group Train. Runs on Fridays,Saturdays and Sundays.No TR-PASS(Students) permitted.
99 Tze-Chiang Limited Express 272 Mountain Line Miaoli→Hualien 07:30 08:42 01h 12m 每天行駛 設輪椅旅客專用座位車 可攜帶「置於攜車袋之自行車」(放置12車) Runs Daily.Accessible Car.Bicycle bag available. 128
Chu-Kuang Express
652 Coast Line Changhua→Hualien 09:15 10:39 01h 24m
每天行駛 Runs Daily.
99 Chu-Kuang Express 654 Mountain Line Xinwuri→Taitung 10:15 11:38 01h 23m 每天行駛 Runs Daily. 99
Tze-Chiang Limited Express
224 - Shulin→Hualien 12:00 13:05 01h 05m
每天行駛 設輪椅旅客專用座位車 可攜帶「置於攜車袋之自行車」(放置12車) Runs Daily.Accessible Car.Bicycle bag available.
128 Chu-Kuang Express 604 - Shulin→Taitung 14:40 15:49 01h 09m 每天行駛 設輪椅旅客專用座位車 Runs Daily.Accessible Car. 99
Tze-Chiang Limited Express
172 Mountain Line Kaohsiung→Hualien 15:55 17:02 01h 07m
每天行駛 設輪椅旅客專用座位車 可攜帶「置於攜車袋之自行車」(放置12車) Runs Daily.Accessible Car.Bicycle bag available.
128 Tze-Chiang Limited Express 174 Mountain Line Kaohsiung→Suao 17:55 18:58 01h 03m 每天行駛 設輪椅旅客專用座位車 可攜帶「置於攜車袋之自行車」(放置12車) Runs Daily.Accessible Car.Bicycle bag available. 128
Chu-Kuang Express
554 Mountain Line Kaohsiung→Hualien 21:00 22:10 01h 10m
每天行駛 設輪椅旅客專用座位車 跨日車 Runs Daily.Accessible Car.
99 Chu-Kuang Express 606 - Shulin→Taitung 23:00 00:16 01h 16m 設輪椅旅客專用座位車 跨日車 Accessible Car. 99

The OP mentioned that Taipei would be his departure station, and there are both local trains AND express trains from there that stop at Fulong. However, as Charlie Phillips said, not all express trains stop in Fulong.

If you’re planning a trip ahead of time then you can check the online timetable to see which express trains stop in Fulong. I know this because I often go to Fulong from Taoyuan or Taipai and I don’t like to stand. :grandpa:

EDIT: Feiren beat me to it.

Ok then, my bad.

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”][quote=“tommy525”]

Most any trains stop in Fulong. Take the Taroko Express OR the new Puyuma Express (newer version of the Taroko express).

[/quote]

No, no, no, Tommy. Fulong is but a fly past for most express trains. Puyuma stops at Songshan and Ilan, and Taroko doesn’t stop at Fulong either.[/quote]

Shoot…times they a-changin. Yeah guess they want to cut out stops for Puyuma and TAroko as they are high speed expresses.

but actually iv always enjoyed the local trains to fulong. Its a nice FEEL on that railway. And the view is good.

The FEEL of it all is pretty nice. Does the TzeChiang stop there? Thats a nice train. How bout the ChuKwang ?

p.s. ok page two answered that question. The Tzechiang trains are pretty nice. Chukwang are getting kinda old but probably ok still.

That’s only for the local trains (區間車). Moreover, if you do this on Sunday, the train will be packed with migrant workers when you get on at Wanhua. A whole bunch of people will be getting off at Taipei Main and you should (but not definitely) be able to get a seat before people start getting on. The other problem with this plan is the ride back. I’m pretty sure you’ll be standing no matter which train you get on for the ride back.

An alternative is just to buy the tickets for the express train 自強 in advance. You can buy a roundtrip ticket on Wednesday or Thursday and you’ll have a guaranteed seat going there and coming back and the faster train.

Any options on whether Fulong is the best of the northern Taiwan beaches near Taipei. I missed it last year.

How was your trip? I will be staying in the Daan area on my second trip to Taiwan in October. Fulong Beach, Tsaoling Trail, and an overnight in Jiufen are on my list!

I want to make this trip in late October or early November. What does Fulong look like that time of year?

It looks great, to me much better than summertime, much less people, the sea is very warm, and the sun less scorching.