Govt to lock up Ktown monkeys...say it aint so?

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/nati … o-more.htm

Looks like some of the monkeys are getting out of hand. Although most are pretty docile. The local govt wants to lock up some of the more aggressive offenders. Maybe put them in the zoo there? Is this a good thing?

People need to be educated to, to keep away and not to feed them and not to have food in plain sight.

Too late, it has already started to do so. BTW, you should see the fights between students at SYS and the monkeys…

started to do what? Lock up the kids? :laughing:

I guess you forgot about the girl who claimed she had to leave school because the monkeys were harrasing her… a college student at SYS, no less!

Yep, they’ve been locking up the monkeys for a while now, to appease the farmers. The students complain that the monkeys steal their stuff -paomien, mostly- from their dorms and “are aggressive”. Ah, I am telling you, the Taiwanese youth, tsk tsk…

Was up on Shoushan the other day, all the monkeys were on good behaviour, they must know something is up. Is it really the monkeys faults though? Me thinks that have been encouraged over the years and now it’s payback time? Humans! What a bunch of fuckers. Monkey business.

The monkeys of Monkey Mountain in K-Town?

There’s a reason for the signs we often see in zoos and wildlife preserves: “Do not feed the animals”.

Did I ever tell y’all about the roadside bar-b-q shops in Guatemala…?..:smiley:

move into monkey town, feed cute monkeys. monkeys beg, now dont like monkey. call police, go take care of monkey. Now this monkey can get back to copying characters without other life being around.

how do monkeys steal stuff in their dorms? don’t they have doors?

i will say though, the monkeys that are trained by people can get aggressive (they had good teachers). my mom to this day has about a 1.5" bulge on the joint of her pinky finger. she was feeding a monkey and playing keep away. Monkey dont play that game, so showed a bitch whose banana that is. we laugh about it almost every time we talk.

i think these monkeys are protected. These foreign students at the SYS univ are shooting at a monkey with a pellet gun. I dont think they should do this, to put it mildly.

The monkeys do seem to infiltrate the Univ regularly:

they are running around without being enrolled :laughing:

And they even run around in the nearby zoo too:

but the monkeys are a major attraction for locals and foreigners:

The monkeys of monkey mountain CAN be agressive, but it’s because people feed and tease them. The are very intelligent animals, but don’t have the same social rules as humans, and don’t have the reasoning ability to understand that humans will not behave as they expect. Unfortunatly, most of the humans also lack this reasoning ability.

In Taidong County, in between Donghe and Taiyuan (I think it’s called), there are lots of monkeys that hang out by a bridge. A whole cottage industry of people selling fruit to tourists has sprung up and huge numbers of people can be seen feeding the monkeys on the weekend. This is all going to be fun and games until someone acts like an idiot and gets bitten by a monkey. Then there’s going to be a big stink and the government will send someone in to kill a whole bunch of them. The remainder will also have trouble readapting (or adapting, if they’re young) to life trying to find food for themselves.

People are fucking arseclowns with animals here. They’ll freak out at the sight of a golden retriever because it’s supposedly so big and scary, yet they’ll fuck around with wild animals with big teeth, sharp reflexes and edgy temperaments.

This thread is misleading…thought there was another trial verdict against an Engrishy teacher.

NO THOSE clowns can be referred to as apes :laughing:

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]
People are fucking arseclowns with animals here. They’ll freak out at the sight of a golden retriever because it’s supposedly so big and scary, yet they’ll fuck around with wild animals with big teeth, sharp reflexes and edgy temperaments.[/quote]

Truer words have rarely been spoken.

Today my wife made some of her fellow teachers mad (the native Taiwanese ones). She walked into a conversation about how horribly stupid and cruel Taiwanese are about/to animals (for the most part it is one or the other…but of course there are people who are awesome about animals…but they are the minority).

The discussion was started by another white teacher who had witnessed a man pouring HOT SOUP onto a dog today on his way to work. The Tawanese teachers were saying “Oh this so rare, never happen, Taiwan people so good to animal” then my wife was like “WTF are you talking about??? Just last week I saw a man throw a dog against a wall and then start to beat it with his fists”.

For the rest of the conversation, the two Taiwanese were dead silent and just sorta “pouted” I guess because she made their entire culture lose face or something.

I went to Gushan in early April to witness those monkeys terrorizing visitors, but whenever I asked someone where I could see those monkeys, I was told to go into the zoo :eh: which wasn’t possible as I had my dog with me and they don’t allow pets in the zoo.

But if they lock up all the monkeys, who will be left to run the city council?

Now you’re just being silly. Monkeys aren’t interested in red envelopes.

Formosan macaques strike again. Did they escape, or did they just not get locked up?