Have you ever thought to take a career break?

To be fair some jobs and work environments can do a number on you mentally and physically. Not everyone is mentally and physically suited for every job.

1 Like

Well, thatā€™s true. Though to me that sounds more like a ā€œtime for a career changeā€ instead of ā€œtime to take a significant period of time off without workingā€. But I guess if you can afford it, why not?

I also kind of burned out at a previous job.i then ended up doing some odd jobs for a bit which wasnā€™t that bad for me (except burning they some savings) but now I work in a professional job again I canā€™t tell my coworkers or managers about what I did. Which is a pity cos they were some valuable skills learned too and why do you have to do the same job or line of work anyway?
Bit the recruiters and corporate drones wont appreciate the move.
Sometimes unemployment or bankruptcy is the career break lol.

You must have a strong retirement savings/plan going already thats well funded. A good 8 month emergency fund. Cleaned up or have no more debt. Or rich parents to fall back on just in caseā€¦ If thats the case then a long sabbatical is a great ideaā€¦ But yes it sounds like youā€™ve been working hard and deserve some sort of break cause otherwise life is just work and on the death bed no one ever saidā€¦ I regret not working more.

This is what Mark Wiens does. He does Youtube videos where he just travels and eats street food.

1 Like

I worked for 18 years. In Taiwan, I worked for 5 years. Yeah, I have my own emergency savings since 18 years ago.

1 Like

The problem is this " ironlady" thinks I only worked 5 years in my whole life. I clearly said I worked 5 years in Taiwan. I had different jobs before. So, the total years I worked are 18 years.I wonder if she is more hardworking than I am to say something.

You should ask before thinking I only worked 5 years during my whole life. I worked 5 years in Taiwan. Previously, I had jobs in Insurance Companies, Luxury Hotels and Hospitalities, Catering Companies and Corporative offices. Yes, some people are more fortunate than you. They can take a career break if they want. Now, have you ever worked more than 20 years without a break? If yes, good for you. I can imagine your white hair, bad skin, tooth decay. You want to die ugly, but I want to die pretty.

Thatā€™s not true anymore, thanks God. Still third world though.

About my career break, I believe I wonā€™t stay all day looking at the wall. I might find some part-time or seasonal jobs. So, I donā€™t need to end with my savings. My lifestyle is frugal. I only eat out when the prices are very affordable like 100NT-150NT. I donā€™t buy anything brand new. My daily meals are fruits, dumplings, and potatoes. I am easy to be pleased.I am drug free, I donā€™t even drink or smoke tobacco. A career break is not for a crazy life. It is for my personal development.

I am trying to envision how this could work over the long haul.

But please, carry on. :smiley:

Guy

I know how to manage my bills.

Working in Taiwan is a kind of career break. A long one.

Maybe for you who work 20 hours a week. I work 45.

I know how to manage my bills. So, donā€™t worry about it!

Tongue in cheek. ā€œTaiwan is the place where careers go to dieā€ after all.

Yours will be the first one.

Sometimes this forum can be so unconstructive and unhelpful and even demoralizing putting people down

On topic, I like the idea taking career break but it seems difficult for me at this moment, perhaps in future will take permanent break.

You are right, Jo. When you donā€™t have choices, you try the best as you can. Save enough for the future, because none of us can rely on others.