Health Check

Hello Everyone,

I am new here and i am writing this to you as I will be transferring to Taiwan very soon (January 2017). On the side note, i’m quite concerned over my findings on my chest x-ray which says minimal bilateral apical pleural thickening. I have never had any history of PTB but i only have asthma, otherwise i am generally healthy. My doctor (Pulmonology) also ruled this out as something that is not a concern. Should i be worried that i will not be admitted in Taiwan over this or my next employer renege the contract ? My greater worry is that i have already resigned from my current work here in the Philippines, and all contracts with the next company has already been signed off.

This is making me really anxious.

Appreciate your feedback on this.

sorry it should be January 2018

Chest xray here is for Tuberculosis

Yeah, they’re pretty mission-specific.
When I got my very first health check (at Jen Ai), I was with my Guarantor (you used to have to have one), and I said something about getting a free chest X ray out of the deal, and she laughed her ass off and said “They only look for TB. You could have a baby in your lung and they wouldn’t notice”

Thanks Zapman and Rocket, alleviated my fears a little bit!

So yeah, none of my family members had any history of PTB.

When I did my first health check 5+ years ago I don’t remember doing the chest xray
thing. Does it depend on country of origin?

Do you already have a resident visa issued by TECO? If yes, then you have nothing to worry about. It wouldn’t be held against you and would definitely not impact your ARC.

It’s common to do annual health checks here, as your employer would require you to, but my friend who had PTB scars (which is common if you had PTB, even if you already got treated) didn’t really have any problems with it. I think the most my friend got was a note citing that the x-ray found PTB scars on its results but my friend wasn’t fired from work and the employment contract was even renewed for another year.

Also, as I know, that pleural thickening shenanigans could mean anything. Could be colds or whatever. Plus, I think most of us who had a medical health check from the Philippines are prone to scary x-ray findings. I think you should know why. :wink:

1 Like

It could very well be. Although the health check for me is a requirement by my employer, so it could also be based on employer requirement.

But that’s not to deny the fact that Philippines has high prevalence for PTB, so yeah country could be a factor as well

Great response @theyouhan, really eased my emotions a lot here :slight_smile:

I don’t have my visa by TECO yet, but it’s on-going already, and a law firm hired by my employer is actually taking care of it. I also have not seen any requirement for health check based on what the law firm sent me for preparation.

Indeed, my doctor here in the Philippines (Asian Hospital) told me it’s really not a concern as far as pleural thickening goes, let alone it’s minimal.

Walang anuman. :slight_smile: AFAIK, if you had PTB scars show up on a health check in Philippines, you’d be advised to get clearance from Lung Center of the Philippines. Then just make sure to bring that clearance here so that if the scars show up on future health checks here you can just show it. Pretty standard requirement, as with surgeries.

Good luck!

Maraming Salamat! These are great insights!

1 Like

Yes the checks are country of origin specific. I could skip most tests.

They have always been different depending on industry, for sure. Many moons ago, when I was getting tested for an ARC in the IT industry, I would have a certain set of tests done.
When I finally flipped over to my JFRV, I was sent to a different hospital, one that dies loads of migrant domestic workers and labourers, and for the first time ever, I had to do a poop test, because that was the standard drill there.

That’s a lot of dying!!!

not a good metric for a hospital

1 Like

Sorry, that was a typo.
It should have said this

1 Like

Hello All,

You’ve been very helpful specially @theyouhan :grinning:

Thanks a lot, and more power to this forum!

See you all in Taiwan :slight_smile:

1 Like