Hiking in Hong Kong

I’ll be going to HK for the nth time pretty soon, and I’m just tired of all the shopping and doing all the touristy stuff. I hear hiking is actually one of HK’s best kept secrets. Has anyone done any hiking in HK? I’ll be staying on HK island near Causway Bay, and I have a free day to kill (a 5~7 hour hike). Any suggestions and directions would be appreciated.

There are fantastic hikes in HK, depends on you level of fitness. I’ve only strolled around Lantau, but up around Sai Kung sounds interesting.

Remember, it is way more humid here than in Taiwan and people do frequently drop from heat exhaustion hiking at this time of the year. I’d pick somewhere easy and with loads of traffic, say, the Peak?

ec.hku.hk/hiking/

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]There are fantastic hikes in HK, depends on you level of fitness. I’ve only strolled around Lantau, but up around Sai Kung sounds interesting.

Remember, it is way more humid here than in Taiwan and people do frequently drop from heat exhaustion hiking at this time of the year. I’d pick somewhere easy and with loads of traffic, say, the Peak?

ec.hku.HK/hiking/

HG[/quote]Doing the basic around-the-peak circuit took me a couple of hours, but on the map there were quite a few longer routes marked. It was all paved – don’t know about the other routes though.

I’ve heard there are some very nice hikes, some serious and some not so, in the New Territories. I’d love to do some of those sometime.

I’ve heard the Dragon’s Back Trail (eastern HK island) is very nice.

Humidity gets up to almost 100% here sometimes. How can it be any worse in HK?

Options:

there are trails along and to/from the reservoirs.

trails that were made in WW2 for lookout posts.

trails on many of the outlying islands (a short ferry trip to get there)

go to macau for something new (I’m not saying the gambling, etc stuff, but the quainter side of macau)

personally, i think HK humidity is much better cuz it’s next to the sea, and has wind to move the air along whereas Taipei is a bowl/basin/pendi and all that stuff just sinks and sits.

This website gives you information about the different hiking trails in HK.
afcd.gov.hk/parks/trails/Eng … /index.htm

HK tourist information bureaus have a very nice free brochure called “hiking in HK”, you can pick it up for free at any of their offices (there is a very helpfull office in kowloon, just next to the ferry terminal).This brochure has info on many trails all through out HK including detailed “getting to and from” information about the different hikes. Personally I toured lamma island which was very nice and ideal for a 5-7 hours outing (including a stop at the beach for a couple of hours).

I had a really wonderful hike over Lamma Island once several years ago – along the coast, then up on to a not-too-high ridge and along the top for a while, down to a little bay and a tiny village for some pigeon and seafood, then back over to the other side of the island and ending with a swim on a white sand beach.
Pretty damn nice.

Thanks for all the replies and links. I will pack my hiking shoes this time but probably not the hiking stick (would be an overkill for HK I think, but then again, the trail may prove me wrong). I’ll report back after I get back.

The MacLehose Trail is 60 miles long and has some sections described as “very difficult.” :wink:

As you are staying in CWB the most convenient place for you to hike is from Parkview. A nice hike is from there to Stanley over Violet Hill - should take no more 3/4 hours and you will have some great views of the coast and islands. The hike could be described as tough as there are a number of steps but if you are reasonably fit it won’t be a problem - just remember that it is hot n humid and not well sheltered. At the end you have Stanley which is good for food,drink and shopping if you have the energy.

The most picturesque hike on HK island is Dragon’s Back which will take 4/5 hours and again great views of the coastline - aim to finish in Shek O which will mean you can get transport back. It’s a little more isolated but well worth it - but it is open and beware wary of the heat.

NO! Hiking sticks are de rigeur here, and there are snakes.

That Lamma walk sounds good to a slack arse like me.

[quote]Mucha man:
Humidity gets up to almost 100% here sometimes. How can it be any worse in HK?[/quote]

Good point, so I dunno, I really don’t, but a lesser temp can feel way hotter here than in Taiwan and you do seem to sweat a whole lot more. I read in today’s paper several people collpased while hiking over the weekend.

HG

OK, I’m back. First of all, HK is definitely more humid than Taiwan. You can feel the difference in humidity as soon as you step outside. You sweat a lot more and the weather is downright oppressive. That said, make sure you bring plenty of water, wear a hat and put on sunscreen if you plan to go hiking in HK at this time of year. Per some of your suggestions, we did the Shek O trail, or better known as the Dragon’s Back. It’s very easy to get to if you’re staying on HK island - just 7 MTR stops from Causeway Bay where we stayed. (It felt like going from Guting to Xindian MRT). To get there, take the MTR to Shau Kei Wan station, switch to Bus #9 which goes to Shek O. Ride the bus for about 20 min to To Tei Wan. The bus drops you right in front of the trailhead. From there begins the 8.5 k trail. The first half of the hike is on a meandering path on the ridge (spine) of the peninsula, hence the name Dragon’s Back. The ridgetop affords spectacular views of HK’s southern shoreline (To the left is Stanley across the bay and to the right is your final destination, Shek O beach). But you do pay with your sweat, as this section is totally exposed (It’s a bit like Battleship Rock in Beitou but much longer). The second half of the hike is a pleasant wooded route that gently descends down to Shek O. It took us a solid 3 hours to complete the hike with barely enough water to last the whole way. But we were rewarded with some delicious Thai food in Shek O. The HK parks authority rated the trail “strenuous,” but if you hike regularly, it’s a fairly easy hike really. The emphasis is on distance rather than elevation (the highest point Shek O peak is only 284 m). The Dragon’s Back is also a designated mountain bike trail. But according to the signs, one would need to have a permit to ride it. If you have a day to spare in HK and would like to escape the hustle and bustle, check out the Shek O trail, which I strongly recommend. Some pics for your enjoyment: