How do you fend off a pack of stray Taiwanese dogs?

Icon usually hightails it, mostly because her own dog is the aggressive type.

By the book: ignore them. Do not get scared -hah! Bean calm confidence. Do not look them in the eye. Walk, do not run.

As per the book.

No water, no confrontation, no interaction.

Classic gangster roadblock of my first angry dog encounter, haha.
Makes the road on the right look much more attractive, instead of crossing ā€œtheir territoryā€.

1 Like

Now that Taiwan stopped euthenasia of dogs, theyā€™re going to be more and more packs of stray dogs around Taiwan so this really needs some good recommendations.

Iā€™ve been attacked numerous times from Taipei to taidong to Kaohsiung.

I yell at them like a madman but it doesnā€™t always work.

Taiwan needs to strengthen laws on people that have dogs or dogs roaming thier property to include shots and rabies and responsibility of owners after someone or some child is attacked.

1 Like

I was on foot waiting for a bus in countryside and confronted by 4-5 dogs barking with one clearly the leader. I raised my closed black umbrella and looked at the leader. They left. Throwing rocks is may be another option.

1 Like

I know exactly what you mean now that I know exactly where that is.

If youā€™re heading to Xiao You Keng from Zu Zhi Hu, thereā€™s gotta be another way? Maybe take a left turn near the police station instead of staying right?

What kind of madman? If they donā€™t respond favorably to a deranged drill sergeant kind of madness, they should still retreat when they hear the kind of apocalyptic scream that would give someone PTSD.

(Of course, you would probably damage your body performing that kind of scream on a daily basis, so yes, stronger protection is needed.)

Iā€™ve thought of carrying a water gun while cycling or hiking and putting in a solution of thai peppers soaked in water in the gun. I figure if I can spray the dogs in the face, they will back off. No idea if this might cause them to be more aggressive.

I have to assume thatā€™ll irritate them more.

You do understand that the dogs interpret that as a challenging gesture?

That they attack humans and are so territorial is their humans fault, not theirs. the most dangerous dogs are the ones tied to short chains, without stimulus or company.

They chase you on a bike because of their instict to chase fast moving objects. Dismount. Stop. Do not stare. Resume. Someone nips push, otherwise do not look or engage. they do not udnerstand your scream as anger/whatever. They get screamed at all the time.

That would have been possible, I guess. But I remember on that day, I just took the main road for some distance. Many of the smaller roads running parralely were closed anyway, and luckely they had none of these dogs.

I was thinking it might temporarily irritate their eyes, allowing me to get away. Hard for them to attack when they canā€™t see well.

The kind of scream Iā€™m talking about is the kind they respond to by retreating. It apparently saved my life when I had foolishly followed someoneā€™s advice to stop (on a bike). It apparently saved my friendā€™s life in another incident when there was no vehicle. But I wouldnā€™t do it to dogs just standing their ground on the other side of the road.

I posted similar earlier in this thread, I realize it sounds silly to some, but making yourself big and weird seems to work for me.

When you stand on a bike you look huge to a dog. If you stick around they might figure your bluff, but the point is not to stick around and just make them pause enough to get through unharmed. Iā€™m sure one day thereā€™s a possiblility it wonā€™t work for me, but as you indicated, these are situations where one canā€™t simply go another way and/or acting like they arenā€™t there and discreetly trying to pass wonā€™t work.

For hikers, no idea. Maybe wave your umbrella/bag around or carry pepper spray as a last resortā€¦assuming turning back isnā€™t an option either.

The Dachsund are easily startled, but theyā€™ll soon be back, and in greater numbers