How do you respond to staring and pointing?

I just have to say, that I’m Japanese American, so maybe I blend in, but when I see a person of non-Asian descent at the MRT, the Carrefour, or whatever, I look for a split second.

It’s because you all make me feel so relieved. That split second is full of memories of a country where I can read all the signs, there are no mysterious red stains by my carport, and not only is there no chudofu, but a single restaurant less than 10 minutes away has a microbrewery, delicious pizza, edible steak, and jambalaya.

[quote=“Falns”]I just have to say, that I’m Japanese American, so maybe I blend in, but when I see a person of non-Asian descent at the MRT, the Carrefour, or whatever, I look for a split second.

It’s because you all make me feel so relieved. That split second is full of memories of a country where I can read all the signs, there are no mysterious red stains by my carport, and not only is there no chudofu, but a single restaurant less than 10 minutes away has a microbrewery, delicious pizza, edible steak, and jambalaya.[/quote]

The thing is, the foreigners do that too.

[quote=“Petrichor”][quote=“Falns”]I just have to say, that I’m Japanese American, so maybe I blend in, but when I see a person of non-Asian descent at the MRT, the Carrefour, or whatever, I look for a split second.

It’s because you all make me feel so relieved. That split second is full of memories of a country where I can read all the signs, there are no mysterious red stains by my carport, and not only is there no chudofu, but a single restaurant less than 10 minutes away has a microbrewery, delicious pizza, edible steak, and jambalaya.[/quote]

The thing is, the foreigners do that too.[/quote]

The only place where I experienced a reverse of this, was in Iowa. That’s probably the last place you’ll expect to see a party of about 15 Japanese people eating at a steak and eggs joint.

Petrichor, in my 15 years in Taiwan I have yet to encounter a foreigner staring and pointing at me.

Not sure if I’ve actually pointed, but I have stared at whitey on occasion. Some people just warrant it by looking extremely odd, and some women are just drop dead gorgeous. It’s not often that you see a gorgeous, voluptuous redhead in low slung jeans and a tight top hereabouts, but when I do, I stare. Of course, if they look my way, I look away and pretend I wasn’t staring, but still. And some Taiwanese (youngsters mostly) look add too, or some Taiwanese girls are just waaaaay beautiful. I stare. [url=Daily Photos - Part 13 of us even take pictures[/url]. :idunno:

And I don’t mind really, but what I don’t get is a guy staring at me, when there’s a perfectly beautiful women in sexy attire in the vicinity. That makes no sense at all. Why stare at me, when you can feast on eye candy? :loco:

Edit: Or when you stand next to or near a Taiwanese youngster with weird ass coloured hair, outlandish clothes and carrying a manbag/handbag and other odd accessories, they’ll still stare at me. That I don’t get.

I’m just struggling with the concept of ass-coloured hair.

I’m just struggling with the concept of ass-coloured hair.[/quote]
Brown? Or that off-beige colour (pretend, but not quite blond)?

That’s interesting Touduke. Are you replying to something I said?

I didn’t vote in the poll because it depends. If it’s little kids, I point back and say in Chinese, “Look! Taiwan people!” Usually gets a confused look from the kid and a giggle from the parents. If it’s adults in a car or on a scooter I try to ignore them but sometimes yell, “What are you looking at?!” If it’s adults walking I stare back angrily. If that doesn’t make them turn away I say the same as above loud enough that others will hear.

WOW - this Poll is 9 years old !!!
Talking about digging up old news which by all means must have changed over almost a DECADE !
( I would hand out Business cards if being a Teacher…)

[quote=“Petrichor”][quote=“Falns”]I just have to say, that I’m Japanese American, so maybe I blend in, but when I see a person of non-Asian descent at the MRT, the Carrefour, or whatever, I look for a split second.

Oh, yes, we do. I confess I stare, but I do not point. And the prettier, the more I stare -yeah, even gals. Last week there were 3 Russian models at Costco, and everyone was staring at them, me included.

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“Petrichor”][quote=“Falns”]I just have to say, that I’m Japanese American, so maybe I blend in, but when I see a person of non-Asian descent at the MRT, the Carrefour, or whatever, I look for a split second.

Oh, yes, we do. I confess I stare, but I do not point. And the prettier, the more I stare -yeah, even gals. Last week there were 3 Russian models at Costco, and everyone was staring at them, me included.[/quote]

It’s funny. Foreigners generally seem to look worse than locals to me (maybe it’s to do with the comparative lack of very young white women).

I was at the TES summer fair the other day and I couldn’t get over how HUGE everyone was. :laughing:

I couldn’t get over the fact how white everyone was. Pinkish white like my Dad. I mean, I reflect sunlight, and I felt tanned by comparison. :laughing:

[quote=“Petrichor”]

It’s funny. Foreigners generally seem to look worse than locals to me (maybe it’s to do with the comparative lack of very young white women).

I was at the TES summer fair the other day and I couldn’t get over how HUGE everyone was. :laughing:[/quote]

From what I have seen, there are 3 long time foreigner body styles here:

1. Super skinny (like typical Taiwanese)
  2. Super buff (extremely athletic)
  3. Titanic (like Rosanne Barr back in the day)

There are of course exceptions, but the majority of long term expats seem to either take REALLY good care of themselves or totally give up and look like they sleep in sewers and eat supersized mcdonalds everyday. When I see an ‘average’ expat, they’re usually an FOB.

Staring and pointing back is totally ineffective against starers who don’t know that staring is wrong.

If they stare, I nod and say “liho” or “nihao” (depending on their age)

if they do not respond, but continue to stare with glazed over eyes, I wave :salute:

after the wave, I have never continued to receive a dumb-eyed stare, they either smile and nod, wave back, laugh and cover their face or pretend they weren’t looking at me and stare at something else

Most staring one encounters in places like China or India or Indonesia are pretty innocent and non-hostile. I usually respond with a smile and/or a wave/salute/nod. I react to them in a friendly manner. In some cases I’ve gone up to the starers and introduced myself, and engaged in a little friendly chit-chat.

When people stare at me, I think that they are kindly, generously motivated by concern that I’m going to keel over at any moment from a heart attack or stroke.

How do you know people are staring at you? Are you looking for it?

Some of you would make shit celebrities.

[quote=“Confuzius”]If they stare, I nod and say “liho” or “nihao” (depending on their age)

if they do not respond, but continue to stare with glazed over eyes, I wave :salute:

after the wave, I have never continued to receive a dumb-eyed stare, they either smile and nod, wave back, laugh and cover their face or pretend they weren’t looking at me and stare at something else[/quote]

I’m trying to work up the courage to go over and give them a kiss on the cheek.