How easy is it to rent a car in Okinawa?

Hi,

I will be travelling to Okinawa next year with my family and am thinking of renting a car to make transportation easier. How easy is it to do this? I have British and Taiwanese driving licenses, and I know I can get an International Driver’s License from Taiwan pretty easily; however, I’m not sure about getting one from the UK.

Lastly, what is driving like in Okinawa?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you get the IDP (International Driving Permit) from Taiwan, make sure to have it translated to Japanese. Something about Taiwan using a different standard or something than the rest of the world. But if you have it translated, you’ll have no problem.

Driving in Okinawa is absolutely no problem and actually very relaxing as everybody there uses turn signals and nobody drives aggressively at all. I’ve ridden scooters there on both of my trips. It’s really refreshing.

Being from the UK, you’ll already be used to driving on the wrong side. :stuck_out_tongue:

Confirming @Yang_Gui_Zi’s post - it’s easy to rent and drive in Okinawa if you have the right documents.

Simply take your Taiwanese license and ID into the nearest MVO. Ask for an IDP and mention you are going to Japan and need the Japanese translation document too. Doesn’t take long at all.

In Naha, I’ve previously used

With both of those, book online beforehand. Then, when you arrive at the airport cross to the centre island in the road at ground level and find the bus pick-up spot for your rental company. Someone with a clipboard will be waiting there for you. They will check your name off and put you on a bus to the rental place 5mins away.

Aside from that, fairly standard as car rentals go.

One tip for driving in Okinawa in a rental car - you likely won’t have an Electronic Toll Card to use on the tollway. Prepare some cash and be sure to use the non-ETC lane.

Have fun :slight_smile: