How Long Does Divorce Take?

How long does a contested divorce in Taiwan take? The only possible reason(s) that might be used in my situation would be an " unlivable condition" or “embarrassing linear ascendants”…not because they happened, but because none of the other reasons are remotely feasible. How long does the whole process take?

Feels like you need a professional legal advice instead of asking people on the Internet.

1 Like

Court cases in general can be swift or take years and years. When the facts (and translations) are disputed, expect headaches.

But yeah, you do sound like you really need a lawyer.

You should forget about ever succeeding in a contested divorce and focus on securing an uncontested divorce. Even if it means giving her money instead of giving it to the lawyers.

A post was split to a new topic: Are most intercultural relationships in Taiwan doomed?

I think OP is more concerned about a contested divorce against his will - at least until he secured his APRC in early 2018.

Correct.

Well she should do the same. She won’t be able to win a contested divorce and it’ll just be a big waste of time and money. Mollify her till you’re ready to sign, and make sure she thinks you fucked up bigtime and will need to leave. I can’t emphasize enough how important it is that you let her think you’ll be leaving Taiwan and won’t bother her ever again once the papers are signed.

My ex-wife tried to get me to show up to some local (for her) mediation and I never bothered. I was scared it’d be the precursor to a day in court but that never came because she had nothing to accuse me of. Not even abandonment (don’t go incommunicado!)

The only issue is I would like to start dating. I can delay signing the papers but it also means I am not “free”. Because if I do not sign papers and she catches wind of or sees me with another woman, that clinches it for her. It’s kind of a catch-22 at this point.