How safe do you feel on a scooter?

That’s a general question; I’m curious how you guys feel in general on Taiwan’s roads. Riding a two wheeled vehicle in traffic in general is dangerous and I’m well aware how little Taiwanese seem to care for their well-being once they get behind a wheel.

As for myself, I’ve ridden a scooter before but that was on the quiet roads of Kinmen. The only times I didn’t feel safe was trying to work out how the roundabouts worked in the main settlements. It also had a max speed of 30km/h.
Returning to Taiwan soon-ish I’m going to be living close to the mountains. I haven’t seen the area for myself yet but it’s outside the city-proper and I think it’s fairly quiet. It would be a massive shame not to explore the country side in my spare time, and it would save a lot of time when I want to go into town. But I’m not super keen on getting maimed or going home in a casket.

Not safe at all. So I don’t ride

1 Like

Safe??? hahahaha that word doesn’t go with scooter.

1 Like

Everytime I find myself on a scooter, no matter if I´m the rider or the passenger, I’m scared to death. They feel like shitty flying toilets made of plastic.

That’s why I always ride proper motorcycles.

1 Like

When I first started riding a scooter, about eight years ago, I was scared. Like anything, experience gives you more confidence and you get a feel for how to drive defensively among all the clueless, selfish drivers out there (both scooters and cars).

That being said, I can almost never relax while driving. To survive, you must always be alert and looking ahead, because so many drivers here don’t.

By the way, I’ve been in three accidents, none my fault. The last one two years ago was my worst and resulted in a broken foot and rib for me (and my first ever ride in an ambulance).

Despite the risks, I’d never own a car here (in Taoyuan) because I can’t be bothered with traffic jams and the endless search for a parking spot.

I always assume that every single other person on or anywhere near the road is either going to try to kill me or wants me to assist in their suicide. Doesn’t make me feel “safe” exactly, but it seems to help…most of the time.

Having said that, riding a scooter here is an experience that I’ll be very happy to see the back of one day.

Not at all. Which is why I take the MRT, bus or even taxis. My co-workers and students laugh that their colleague/teacher is too scared to ride a scooter through the mean streets of Kaohsiung, but screw what people think. I’d rather come off as a bit of a wimp than end up the subject of one of those GoFundMe pages because I woke up in a hospital missing half my brain.

My own opinion is that if you feel safe on a scooter, you’re too complacent and probably shouldn’t be on one. You’re a risk to yourself and others.

Mind you, I feel the same way about cars too, although a car is slightly different in that while I’m in less danger, I’m putting others on the road in more danger.

I still drive a scooter. But it’s important to remember that driving is inherently dangerous. Of course you shouldn’t drive around in a state of panic, but you should always be aware that things can go very, very wrong, very, very quickly.

I’m not sure if I have any non-obvious suggestions … full-face helmet. Try to stay clear of the crowded bulk of traffic, perhaps by accelerating ahead of it, or perhaps by letting yourself fall behind. I am no longer willing to double someone in heavy city traffic, although I’ll still do it in the countryside. Keep your lights on at all times so there’s a slightly higher chance people will see you. When some fuckwit in a car is tailgating you, just pull over and let them get past you. (Boy I wish my temper would let me 100% follow that rule …) And never, ever let yourself feel like you’re in a rush when you’re driving.

2 Likes

whether you feel safe or not, it is not safe. based on others driving, not your own. most people i know who ride have had some level of accident. one got her teeth smashed in. luckily they got fixed but it makes me cringe just thinking about it.

and i don’t feel safe on foot either.

Most of my family members have rode a scooter at some point in taiwan. What they said is, you will fall at least once if not more. Every single person including themselves have fallen or at least gotten in some minor accident at some point. In fact, guys back in the US who ride bikes have said similar things that you will fall at least once if not more if you ride. So I can assume that’s even more true in a small scooter in taiwan.

I fell my first time. So that was enough for me. I rely on my body’s health for work. So any chances I can have to hurt myself, I can’t take. If I worked in a office and can do my job equally well with a broken leg, I might give it a chance.

Not safe at all. So I don’t ride them. I plan to return home eventually and I would not like to return in a body bag.

1 Like

Scooters are a death trap here. I don’t even feel safe riding a bicycle on the road or walking across the pedestrian crossing. No one gives way here and they give people there licenses too easily on a closed track.
Stick to Taxis/Uber and wearing a seat belt whenever you can.

1 Like

Even the taxis are awful. My wife and I have let our taxi company know we always want a “safe taxi” when we call up one, since we have a baby as well. Even with that request, we still get twits who drive like they’re auditioning for a ‘Fast & Furious’ sequel. Honestly, the only way to be completely safe is to stick to MRT and buses.

yea the taxis are one of the worst offenders imo. they dont look at all. saw a crashed one a few days ago. i heard the screech and boom from my apartment which was a pretty big achievement.

Anyone know if there’s a place to look up the accident statistics for scooters here?

I live in Taoyuan area, and bought a car beginning of this year. Traffic jams and searching for parking is a small price to pay for safety. The traffic jams are only really on the highways at certain shitty times, which I avoid. Parking actually isn’t that hard to find. Well worth it to have a car over a scooter.

Not safe at all, but it fast and convenient. You have to have nerves of steel to drive one here. You don’t want to be first or last. I did a scooter trip around the island and it was a lot of fun in the countryside.

I’ll add to what most have said and also say that, scooter isn’t safe. You can ride as safe, follow the rules and ride defensively, but you can’t expect others to do so. I’ve been on the scooter for around 4 years and have had zero accidents and hope to keep the scorecard free of them.

Personally, I think it really comes down to how well you know the traffic patterns and what roads you pick on your trip. For example, I know to never take Zhong Xiao East Road in Taipei from Jian Guo down to Yong Chun unless it’s at 8-10AM in the morning. Why? No dedicated bus lane, lots and lots of cars, stupid punk kid super car drivers, scooters mixed into that lot and last but not least, high concentration of bars/clubs which results in higher chance of drunk drivers.

I normally pick roads that have dedicated bus lanes or just no buses at all. Not having buses cut you off because they have to pick up and drop off makes one helluva difference and tbh some of those bus drivers can give a lot of taxi drivers a run for their money.

Hah, no kidding on the taxi drivers. My memory of taking one inter-city is the guy trying to use his ipad and even leaning on the dashboard to write something on paper while weaving through traffic at 120km/h

1 Like

I am a bit surprised at how many of you posted you have fallen or been in accidents at least once if not more on a scooter. I have been driving scooters and cars in Taiwan, cities and countryside, for 11+ years and not one accident or fall.

As with any vehicle you drive or ride in, you are never “safe”. Every driver of any vehicle should always look ahead, be aware and be ready to react to any situation. There are many terrible drivers, be safe.